warmer weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
Hi As many of you may have noticed it is warming up outside! And for me that means willow will be going outdoors again, but i am worried that he will over heat in the summer so i want to know all the best ways to keep a long hair rabbit cool in the summer ( without shaving him)

thanks for your help - Julia

Hmmm...from experience? Get 3-9 bottles of water and freeze them. Put about 2-3 bottles in her cage every 4-8 hours. Interchange it and repeat the process. This helps lower the overall temperature in the bun's hutch/cage. ^^

Hmmm...from experience? Get 3-9 bottles of water and freeze them. Put about 2-3 bottles in her cage every 4-8 hours. Interchange it and repeat the process. This helps lower the overall temperature in the bun's hutch/cage. ^^

Good advice above. Fans are great, but remember if you don't cool the air first that all they do is waft the warm air around.

You can also insulate the roof of your rabbit's home so that the sun doesn't warm it up too much. This can be done simply by making sure that it's covered by something that doesn't absorb the heat.

When you say your buns are going outside again - is that completely outside or into a shed or the like? Keeping the hutch away from reflective surfaces will also help. So if it's in a shed then make sure it's not where the sun can shine through a window and create a greenhouse effect.

One word of warning about ice bottles is that this will raise the humidity of the air in the hutch - so be aware of this.

Probably obvious info - but worth mentioning, is to make sure that the hutch is in a shady area, and not where the sun can beat down full pelt.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Kind regards,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

Our summer was brutal last year. So many days of no rain andtriple digit temps it was ridiculous. There was no way we could bring all our rabbits inside every day so we built a cover and tacked up insulation under it, hung shade cloth on the sides, set up fans and put ice bottles in their cages and ice in their water bowls every day. I tried spritzing some of them but they hated the spray so I just gota little water in my hand andgot their ears wet. We didn't lose one rabbit. I know some peoplewho laid sprinkler hoseson the roof of their rabbit cover or hung water lines to mist the area where the rabbits were. I sure hope we don't have the same kind of summer this year. :pray:

Jacki-Small-Pet-Select wrote:
Good advice above. Fans are great, but remember if you don't cool the air first that all they do is waft the warm air around.

You can also insulate the roof of your rabbit's home so that the sun doesn't warm it up too much. This can be done simply by making sure that it's covered by something that doesn't absorb the heat.

When you say your buns are going outside again - is that completely outside or into a shed or the like? Keeping the hutch away from reflective surfaces will also help. So if it's in a shed then make sure it's not where the sun can shine through a window and create a greenhouse effect.

One word of warning about ice bottles is that this will raise the humidity of the air in the hutch - so be aware of this.

Probably obvious info - but worth mentioning, is to make sure that the hutch is in a shady area, and not where the sun can beat down full pelt.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Kind regards,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

The cages are by a building and is set so that during the hottest hours there is shade

Do misters work well?

Just dropping the tempiture 10-20 degrees would make a huge difference

Latest posts

Back