Warmer temps, questions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
So with the weather getting warmer (and rather quickly) we have had all our windows open...so I've read that bunnies are happiest at between 60 and 70 degrees. This morning it was 72 in the house... I drew all the blinds closed and gave cookie a bowl of ice cubes...

So I guess my question is how warm can it get before ice cubes are enough? We usually try to go as long as possible before putting the ac on... I mean it's only march! Lol and anything else I should be doing to keep him cool?

During Summer, I give my girl a bottle of frozen water. She likes to lay down next to it. Make sure you put a towel under 'cause our kids will get wet :D I also put a piece of granit tile or ceramic for her in her cage, also for laying on it. Theses two work well with me. I have never tried giving her an ice cube though :) Sorry for not being a help that much. :) But you can try my tricks. :) I wish here is that warm like at your place...we still have Winter :-/

Bunny parents wrote:
During Summer, I give my girl a bottle of frozen water. She likes to lay down next to it. Make sure you put a towel under 'cause our kids will get wet :D I also put a piece of granit tile or ceramic for her in her cage, also for laying on it. Theses two work well with me. I have never tried giving her an ice cube though :) Sorry for not being a help that much. :) But you can try my tricks. :) I wish here is that warm like at your place...we still have Winter :-/

Now you were a big help! I love the frozen bottle idea! I'm going to get some today :) and I'm going to get him some tile too... This was the first time I'd given him ice cubes but he got very excited and was licking them lol it was cute :)

Ad I wish we had winter... We skipped winter... Ad now it's seems we are skipping spring too :expressionless I'm totally not ready for these super warm temps yet lol

:D If only we can exchange the weather. I'm more than glad to have Summer now. I'm really tired of Winter. It doesn't live us alone this year :D I'll try an ice cube this " not-sure-when" Summer. :) My girl should like it too. I'm glad my methods can give you some ideas. Let me know if your boy loves the bottle too.
Sending you some cold breeze from Poland :)
now you said about it, I'd love to see his pic with the ice cube.:)hehehe

Sounds like you're doing the right things, and great tips from Bunny Parents too.

Keeping the blinds down is a great idea, and keep the windows closed as well to stop the warmer outside air coming inside. I lived in the South of France and keeping the house cool in the summer was certainly a challenge! Are your blinds black out blinds? - ie, they stop all light coming in, or do they allow some light through? If they allow some light then the "greenhouse" effect will still occur through the glass, although to a lesser extent. Try to block as much light as possible in the room your bunny's in, to prevent this happening.

Of course, the only downside of this is the fact that it's then dark! Aaaargh - it's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes.

Fans are OK to use when the temps are not getting too high up there. But they only waft the warm air around, and you need to make sure that they don't create a draft on your rabbit. Also, be aware that as the temperatures rise, ice in and around your bunny will melt and raise the humidity in the room.

Unfortunately, sometimes the air con. is the only solution...

Mind you, I'm also slightly jealous that you have summer temperatures right now. I'm in the UK at the moment and still have the central heating on.

Cheers,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

Good suggestions jacki!

We don't have blackout blinds... Where he currently is the kitchen, but the blinds we do have keep the light our pretty well, altho not completely... In the morning the kitchen it warmer as that is where the sun is, and we usually let him out as much as possible in the morning so he can hang out in the cooler living room... And in the afternoon the living room is warmer lol so he usually is good in the kitchen... I'm going to get some large tiles too and stick them in the fridge overnight on hot days and give them to him...
And my husband is from the UK, I miss the cooler weather! I hope we can get over for a visits before, it gets warmer! :)

Latest posts

Back