Wanting another rabbit- tons of bonding questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyumiyu

Reaction score
So in the span of four months of rabbit ownership, I've gone from being certain that I'd only ever want one rabbit at a time to desperately wanting a second. This is partly because I see my rabbit constantly trying to cuddle with my cat, and I feel bad because the cat rarely wants bunny cuddles. I think he'd be a lot happier with a furry little lady friend.

My main issue is that Jinglebell, my male flemish (who is getting neutered on Thursday), is only about 7 months old. I've seen posts on various boards about bonding junior rabbits being a no-no, and wanted to clarify on that. He'd be roughly 9 months by the time his hormones from the neutering die down, but is that still too early? In addition to that, does the rabbit I get absolutely have to be an adult, or could it be young to junior age?

In addition to this, if the female I get is not already spayed, will I have to keep her in a second cage for 8 weeks after her spay, for her own safety?

Last question, I've got my heart set on either a netherland dwarf or holland lop as bunny number two. Does size matter with bonding? Jingle's going to get pretty big. Also, do those two breeds generally produce affectionate rabbits?

Thanks for anyone who can answer at least some of my giant wall of questions. :bunnyheart

Last edited:
I don't think size matters, but it's easier to bond rabbits of the opposite sex. I'd get another around the same age so they will have many years together. Have you considered adoption? What a great way to give a rabbit a good home and they are already fixed too!

Stevesmum- Oh yes, I'm a big fan of adoption! I'm constantly checking the Findapet page and my local shelters (because I'm a sentimental loser who likes looking at pictures of rabbits). My biggest issue is that there are no actual "rabbit rescues" in my area. I'd really love to take Jingle to one to meet potential matches, but I don't want to submit him to a 3 hour car ride in my pet carrier. :c My local animal shelter seems to be willing to accept rabbits, but I've only ever seen one listed on their page, and it was ages ago.

Haha I also check the humane society almost daily wishing I could adopt them all. Sounds like you have some time to look around since you're planning to get your bun neutered in a couple of months. Good luck, I'm sure you will find a suitable partner for Jinglebell :)

So in the span of four months of rabbit ownership, I've gone from being certain that I'd only ever want one rabbit at a time to desperately wanting a second.

I so understand this. I was never a pet person, but seeing my first Flemish awakened something in me. Took a year of study but I finally succumbed and got one. I swore it was going to be only one, that one can be happy alone and that I didn't want another one. Six months later I got my buck Conan a bunmate...

Where did you read about bonding juniors being a no-no? I'm curious because I studied for months before I decided I can do it and never ran across age being an issue. I'd like to read that. Other then really old to young, or before fixing which generally means you have to wait for the buns to be at least six months anyway (longer for the bigger breeds), I haven't read about age being a problem.. My Conan was barely a year, and Xena was maybe 7 months when I started bonding and it wasn't an issue.

Size also isn't an issue, except in that if the buns have a really bad fight the bigger one might do more damage, but then little ones can be pretty ferocious as well. Buns will bond regardless of size. If you get an unspayed doe (like I did) I would suggest you keep both rabbits caged but close until after the two month post spay interval. Just because she there's no fear of pregnancy doesn't mean her possibly active hormones won't be a problem. Two months is the longest span though, I started after a month myself.

Affection really has more to do with personality rather then breed. Yes breeds tend to run certain behaviors, but each bun is an individual. From what I remember Netherlands tend to be active and a bit skittish while Flemish are more easy going and somewhat lazy.

Good luck and keep posting, I love reading about people's bunny bonding experiences.

I believe I read about bonding juniors being a no-no on another rabbit forum. I saw a post about someone asking about bonding rabbits that were not yet adults, and being told it wasn't a good idea.

In hindsight, the person who answered may have just been talking about rabbits who hadn't yet hit puberty and been fixed.

I've been thinking about it, and I think I really would like a lop. I'm going to try the local pet store before I settle for a breeder- since I don't have actual rescues in my area, I think that would be the best option, since my pet store takes in unwanted adult rabbits as well as babies. :)

I have a Havana rabbit right now and she tries to cuddle with my cats too. I've been researching about getting another rabbit because she gets so lonely but my parents have to agree. Since school is coming I don't know if I will have time to bond them because I'm involved in a lot of after school sports. Do u guys have any tips or things I could tell my parents to get them to say yes. Cinder, my rabbit, is my life and I take good care of her. I know that getting another rabbit means possiblyore vet bills but I'm not concerned about momey and I am already thinking of spaying her. If I do get another rabbit I would adopt.

miyumiyu,
The idea is just to be sure that both rabbits are fixed. If both are fixed and one or both are just 6 months of age, that is fine. The no-no is trying to bond young *intact* rabbits.

So in your case, if you wait 8 weeks post surgery, then you can have your guy bunny date any fixed rabbits to screen for potential compatibility. Rabbit rescues do this all the time. They will help you by having you bring in your boy to "test' him out with some other rabbits. The other rabbits can be any sex, any breed, so long as they are already fixed.

The great advantage of going with a rabbit rescue to find a bondmate is that they work with you to ensure you wind up with a compatible match. If, for instance, you choose a bondmate and bring her home only to find out that they refuse to bond, then the rescue will allow you to bring her back and find another. (I have done this myself a couple times.)

Latest posts

Back