Want to hear something funny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jessyka wrote:
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
You American's are funny. Can't handle a little bit of cold or snow. Everything has to close down. LOL
We have an inch of snow here today and the grocery stores and EMPTY. Everyone flipped out and cleared out the canned food isles. All the schools are closed and there have been so many wrecks, it's unbelievable. :shock:
As of this morning they already cancelled quite a few flights going south due to the "expected" snow. Meanwhile it was snowing out west and operations out there were normal. Jessyka~ we heard the same about Nashville when we were looking to move down there. Too funny!

the worst weather that i had to go to school in was when it got to be around 107 degrees or something and the school had no A/C (i was in middle school-they still dont have A/C)

we went to school in that hot hot weather, the water fountains didnt have cold enough weather, the school had to evacuate from classrooms and go into one big room that had A/C and fans...finally they told us to all go home..--i had already left though, thank goodness for having an aunt work near by :)

Here in Australia, schools in bushy areas are beginning to close on really dangerous days for bushfires. This is since we had a big bushfire last year, now people are being more cautious. When the kids go back to school after summer holidays, I wonder how many days off they will get in Feb and March...

I can't comprehend going to school in snow...

wow. We can not go without an air conditioner around here. We would literally die. By April, its in the 100s around here. We have kids that transferred from up north that think the other kids are silly for thinking this is cold. My kids who lived here all their lives tell them "Just wait till summer..."

Kids are hilarious.

t.

we had no school today for amount of snow...but we have no school tomorrow i guess in the district due to high windsheild...that and the amount of snow is possibly dangerous

Some school districts in the Rio Grande Valley (where I live in Deep South Texas) are considering canceling school on Friday because it's going to be around 28 at 7 am. I'm sorry. I know that's cold but come on! You guys up north go to school in way worse right? This is definitely not a cold weather area. We can put up with 120 degree heat but anything lower than 60 is kind of cold. HAHA! I've lived north, south, east and west so I know how to deal with any weather but maybe its not such a bad idea. People don't know how to drive in RAIN let alone frozen stuff called ice. hehe...

Anyway, what's the worst weather you've gone to school in?

LOL...if they did that here they'd have to close down Canada for the winter. :biggrin2:

Bassetluv wrote:
Some school districts in the Rio Grande Valley (where I live in Deep South Texas) are considering canceling school on Friday because it's going to be around 28 at 7 am. I'm sorry. I know that's cold but come on! You guys up north go to school in way worse right? This is definitely not a cold weather area. We can put up with 120 degree heat but anything lower than 60 is kind of cold. HAHA! I've lived north, south, east and west so I know how to deal with any weather but maybe its not such a bad idea. People don't know how to drive in RAIN let alone frozen stuff called ice. hehe...

Anyway, what's the worst weather you've gone to school in?

LOL...if they did that here they'd have to close down Canada for the winter. :biggrin2:

LOL That'd be funny.

Well, here in snowy Northern Indiana, we don't close schools too easily.

Occasionally when the wind chill is severe, like -20 Farenheit, they close down, mostly because if cars or school buses break down, people would freeze and die before they could get help! (Seriously.)

Canadians might laugh at that, but remember we only have a few weeks of that weather each year - and most people don't have the type of vehicle that can stand up to the bitter cold for days and days on end. Eventually, the car just won't start.

As for snow shut downs, it varies. Today the roads were pretty bad, and still they went. We've had several inches of snow each day for about a week, with about 12 inches on the ground right now, and a big storm going through tomorrow. We live in "Lake Effect Snow" region, so thenwe also get a few extra inches, as a bonus,a day or two after each storm.

If the wind causes problems with drifting, we might have a shut down. (Again, Canadians, be merciful! Most of us don't drive 4 wheel drive trucks/snow mobiles etc. ) The snow drifts can be several feet high out on the country roads if the wind is blowing the snow around.

If we get like 6 inches or more dumped on us in a 24 hour period school closes because the plows can't keep up. That happens about once or twice a winter, unless we are having a hard year. (As a kid, we once had 30 total days of shutdown...not all in a row, but all for SEVERE storms. We got like75 total feet of snow over a few weeks. So it does happen...but thankfully not every year!)

Fog can cause major problems, usually in the late winter when a slightly warmer wind blows across the cold snow. With our usual cloud cover, there's no sun to burn it off, and we haveschool delays, and occasionally a total shutdown.

Heat....yuck. As a kid, NONE of the elementary schools had A/C. We do have 90 - 100 degree weather during the worst of summer...which includes some of the school year. School has never shut down for heat here. Honestly I can't imagine being in the Texas heat for monthsin that type of weather...I just don't function in the sweltering heat. The teachers wouldn't get any work out of me anyway, so they might just as well send me home, lol!

wabbitmom12 wrote:
. (Again, Canadians, be merciful! Most of us don't drive 4 wheel drive trucks/snow mobiles etc. ) The snow drifts can be several feet high out on the country roads if the wind is blowing the snow around.
Most of use don't drive 4 wheel drive either. Snow mobiles are reserved for getting out of your driveway (unless you are one of the lucky few to get it plowed). There are a couple neighbourhood in Calgary that had several feet of snow in the middle of the road. Their cars were buried and a bis got stuck.

It was -50[sup]o[/sup]C in Edmonton in December (can't remember the date). I am not sure if the schools were open, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. The kids would have been kept inside for recess and probably let inside before school.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
It was -50[suP]o[/suP]C in Edmonton in December. I am not sure if the schools were open,
December 13, Edmonton was the second coldest place on the planet. Only a Siberian weather station was colder.

Buses did not run, but the schools were open. I have a remote starter for my van, so I don't have to run outside to warm it up. My wife drives a 4 wheel drive.

our problem were i am at is the lake effect snow. our school don't close very often, but when they do i think it can be for good reason!

most of the time it is because the plows can't keep up with the roads. i live in country type setting, lots of back roads and dirt roads. many kids did snow mobile to school during the winter when i was in school still. it isn't rare to see a bus get stuck out here.

we just all learn to be carefull up here. keep a blanket,shovel and some salt/kitty litter in the car in case you get stuck. . .drive slow. . .and give lots of time to break!

what is always funny is after a cold spell you see people outside without their winter jacket on cause it is a grand 35* f outside. . . or that first day in spring it break 40* f and everyone is ready to put on the shorts and sandles.

It was -50[suP]o[/suP]C in Edmonton in December. I am not sure if the schools were open,
December 13, Edmonton was the second coldest place on the planet. Only a Siberian weather station was colder.

Buses did not run, but the schools were open. I have a remote starter for my van, so I don't have to run outside to warm it up. My wife drives a 4 wheel drive.

Gracious that's cold!! BRRRRR!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
It was -50[sup]o[/sup]C in Edmonton in December. I am not sure if the schools were open,

Our schools never close, they aren't allowed to. Even if its so cool and blizzardy that no one shows up, the school still needs to be open in case the kids come.

I remember one year in elementary there was a HUGE blizzard and there was only 2 kids in my class that showed up. Me and josh and only because his mom was the secretary and my mom is a teacher too and she dropped me off on the way to work, lol.

Our minister of education ordered all schools to stay closed from Monday till wednesday next week on account of the bad weather forcasted. It's utterly rediculous as quite a few schools have no problems. I assume everything will come to a standstill.

School closures are kept to the discretion of the district. We would have been better closing today. We had 130 kids absent out of 500. This is going to kill our attendance percentage. We made hot chocolate for the kids and watching Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and did puzzles and word searches. There was no use getting anything done with that many kids missing.

t.

The problem we have with the school I work for.....it's a little 250 student school...totally surrounded by flat cornfields for miles. So the snow piles in ....then we get the winds kick up and it is just not safe driving conditions with the school buses. I drive a 38ft school bus with 71 passengers and it is very dangerous when you figure in that you can only see 10 to 20 feet in front of the bus and you literally cannot tell where the road is. On either side of the road you have 6 foot deep ditches.

Latest posts

Back