want to add another

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbeartoo

Reaction score
Ok, guys can I have some advice , suggestions. We want to get a new friend for Whiskers, have been thinking about it for a while. First we have to make sure with our manager. She is my husbands aunt so that helps, and we are taking the kids with us to talk to her about it since they will be harder to say no to lol. Can you give me suggestions on facts or otherwise to support getting a second one. In my opinion having two is not that much different than having one. We will make sure she is fixed when old enough. I would rather get one from a shelter but there are no rabbits at the nearby shelters. I would have to go at least 3 hours to find one with rabbits. I had wanted to take whiskers so he could pick one out himself. I am also trying to find local people who want to re-home their rabbits but I think most of them will probably not be fixed, so I am thinking about cost - wise, getting local and having her fixed (cheapest place is $135 ) or the cost of driving and all that goes with it to get one from a shelter. either way there is a risk that i wont be able to bond them so.... help pls lol

Here's a thought... why not offer to foster for the shelter until you meet the right bun that clicks with Whiskers? You would do a lot of bunnies some good while they are waiting for forever homes.

I personally would prefer to have a mature bun than a young one... You can see the temperment straight off. No matter what you do, you will never be able to guarantee that bonding will be successful though. I agree, it is certainly a risk.

You could also possibly ask someone in your area who is looking to rehome whether you can do a bun date. They are likely trying to find an ideal situation for their bun, so should be open to the suggestion.

I thought about that too, but the nearest shelter is 3 or 4 hours away, which means several trips back and forth. I am hoping to find one that doesn't mind being picked up. I made the mistake of not holding whiskers enough because I was afraid of hurting him. The kids really want to be able to hold the bunny too so I figured if the bun was young, it would be easier to get them used to being held, unless of course we find one that is already known to like it.

Ok, I got an email back from a lady and we are going to see a little gray lionhead on sunday, I can't wait! I have butterflies lol. I was wanting a lionhead but didn't think we would find one. she said she is very sweet and calm, likes to cuddle and gets along with the other bunnies during playtime. Is it sunday yet? lol

You wo't be able to just have them live together, they will need to live separately until fully bonded.

Also, if you buy a baby then as the baby goes through adolescence there is such a high risk of them fighting and needng to be separated that it's really not a sensible idea to try.

Wha would happen if they can't/don't bond? Or if they divorce? Do you have to space to keep them separate, or separated until after the spay?

yes, I have a large cage from when we first got whiskers to put her in. I have read quite a bit about bonding but I would welcome advice on how to go about it. I know it can take anywhere from 1 day to forever lol. I forgot to ask how old she is, although I think she is probably pretty young.I am sure I will have to let them take turns out of there area for a while, but I am still excited!

I would suggest not doing much bonding until she is spayed. If you do want to do some, then wait a month for her to settle, and then only do it supervised, don't fully bond them until she has been spayed because you limit the risks of fighting.

It needs to be done on neutral territory, ALWAYS.

A good starting place can be swapping their cage contents and also cages (only once she is settled), so they get used to scents being in their territory and also being in the other buns territory.

What will happen if they don't bond? Are you able to keep them separately?

tdbeartoo wrote:
The kids really want to be able to hold the bunny too so I figured if the bun was young, it would be easier to get them used to being held, unless of course we find one that is already known to like it.

You have a better shot but not a sure thing. Some bunnies just never like to be held.

WOOT! We got a new bunny today!! I am so excited!! lol

here are pics right off the bat cause she is soooo adorable

bunnypics001.jpg

bunnypics002.jpg

bunnypics003.jpg

bunnypics003.jpg

bunnypics005.jpg

bunnypics006.jpg

Very pretty. How old is she?

she is three months old. I also want suggestions on what to name her but i might start a new topic for that

Latest posts

Back