WalMart Rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LakeCondo wrote:
The nutritional value has to be degraded if the food has larva. The chance of expensive vet bills outweighs the value of using contaminated food, doesn't it?
But not all Walmart brand rabbit food has larva. Believe me I am NOT a fan of walmart, I would much rather shop at target... So I'm not basing this off of my like for walmart. Well you just have to check to see if the entire bag is filled with larva or if it was just a couple eggs which you could easily kill by freezing. If the bag was moldy by being frozen then don't use it, but at least then you didn't completely was money. You tried to fix the problem. If you are comfortable with using Walmart food that is fine, if you want a bigger name brand that is fine too. You are the owner/voice of your animal so you have the option. :) As long as you give the rabbit the pellets, veggies, and hay it should be fine either way!

Rescuemom wrote:
If rabbit food and nutrition is anything similar to dog food and nutrition
Take a rabbit, put it on the cheapest, lowest quality food possible that's made up of corn, sunflower seeds, and other small grains and junk that's more used as a filler than as actual nutritional valued ingredients,
I don't think that this is as big an issue with rabbit pellets as it is with dog food.

Dog foods use cheap fillers because meat is expensive.

The main bulk of pellets is alfalfa or timothy which is actually cheaper than corn, grainsor sunflower seeds. In other words, what rabbits naturally eat is some of the cheapest stuff around. As long as the pellets have the proper blend of minerals and other nutrients, which are cheap, they should be OK. Even the "highest grade" pellet is still going to be inexpensiveas long as you don't pay "boutique" prices.

And unlike dogs, rabbit pellets are only part of the diet, typically hay beingthe common supplement.. In addition to the bananas, carrots and oatmeal that are treats, the lads get a large supply of fresh garden greens of various types.

It sort of becomes a vicious circle. People don't buy food at places that don't have much turnover. Then what the store DOES have gets even older & less & less nutritious.

Back