Wabbit with a bad habit!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynda valle

Reaction score
hi from me and my one year old flemish giant , Wabbit. (he was castrated at about 8 months, so that was 4 months ago) We're aiming for free roam indoors with multiple litter boxes. All goes well but he has one bad habit of peeing on my bed and on my beautiful daybed couch....so he's shut out of all the bedrooms and the room with the couch, much to his annoyance ! He is red eyed and seems to have very poor vision. I wonder if he is "marking " these areas so as to find them (and me in them) more easily with his poor vision???? Exhausted from doing his bunny thing, he decided to take a nap under this purple fabric!!

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Adorable photo!! Welcome to the forum!

It is not uncommon for rabbits to like to piddle on soft bedding -- especially beds and couches (that tend to carry their owner's scent). Our rabbits have been free roam, but we blocked off all bedrooms. Couches can't really be blocked off as easily and one may not want to have their couch blocked off anyway. But with consistency, you may be able to train him to stay off the couch.

Some have had success just consistently shooing them off. Of course this implies that, when you aren't around, bunny cannot have access to the couch at all. Others have used a blanket on a portion of the couch specifically to allow the rabbit on that section only. If I were to do that, I'd probably use something like a guinea pig lap blanket. Those are layered blankets that have Zorb filling, fleece on top, and waterproof PUL fabric on the bottom. That will protect the couch from urine.

The sooner you try to train him (if that is what you choose to do), the better since the longer he's allowed to continue, the more difficult it will be to break the habit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back