Visits from Animal Control

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
I just finished reading the Sept/Oct edition of "Domestic Rabbits" Magazine which, for those of you who don't know, is the magazine that is published by the ARBA 6 times a year. It's an awesome publication and I always learn a great deal from it and enjoy it.

One of the articles, titled "Know Your Options!/Busted! What To Do When Animal Control Comes Knocking" by Attorney George J. Eigenhauser Jr. really grabbed my attention. It basically outlined what to do if you were ever reported to Animal Control as a breeder, and what you should do and what your legal rights are. It also talked about the newanimal laws in California, specifically "SB 917" that will become effective on Jan 1 2012 that prohibits the sale of animals in public places, such as rabbit shows.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has ever had a run-in with Animanl Control over their rabbits or know someone that did. What caused it? Did someone report you, if so, why? How did you handle it, and what became of the situation afterwards?

And I suppose a further question to my fellow breeders would be: how did you go about investigating the zoning laws and animal sale laws in your state before you started your rabbitry? I have done hours upon hours of research for myself and I think I have everything squared away, but...I still am a bit fearful of the "What if?"

It worries me, definitely. Fortunately right now I only have 3 rabbits (although hoping both of my does are pregnant) and I plan on staying pretty small. It still really does worry me that someone could report it. I think that the article in the DR mag was well done, and it had a lot of good information in it.

I am just hoping that what happened in Cali doesn't happen here in Michigan. It's really scary.

:yeahthat::yeahthat: totally. I've always been worried about this though I only have 2 bunnies. Just the thought that could come and just take your buns away. hmph. =PP

I used to belong to a SIM game thing and for some reason or another the members there thought I was neglecting my rabbits?! No clue how they ever came to this conclusion - they were all wacky kind of; even though several members also bred rabbits/guinea pigs. o_O The current rabbit 4-H superintendent was the one who came out, not AC, and of course all my rabbits were in good condition. That was around the time I first got in rabbits... 5 1/2 years later & 5 fairs with her and we're great friends.

Other than that, never had actual AC come to my door for the rabbits. They came when I called about two loose Rottweilers who attacked my rabbits, but nope, never had actual Animal Control called on me.

I'm not too worried about it being as I don't hardly allow anyone in my rabbitry, but also because I use a PO Box, and live out in the middle of no-where and my house is VERY hard to find. I never use my home address, ever. We don't have a mailbox, so there's no reason too.

Emily

Mia I doubt you would ever have a problem with 2 rabbits. I think it's only breeders with, say, 5 or more rabbits that might have to be concerned about this.

Emily, you're already using a lot of the tactics that the article recommended: don't allow visitors to your rabbitry, and use a PO box for any communication.

I been worried too, Heard a lot of people getting busted, Not good! But its mostly of people that have big noses and it doesnt belong, But if you are worried, You can check your zoning.. I like in country so I am good! But still its scary thing, And have your bunnies hiding from open spots so people cant peak in and find something they dont like and use that against you, Also I heard alot of people dont allow people on their property when selling bunnies!

Is there any way you can post the article? I'm not a breeder but I would like to read it. I have 4 rabbits plus other pets. I would be so upset if animal control was called, but they are in very good conditions so I can't imagine they would do anything.

I have tried looking into legal status, but all I can find are rules applying to cats and dogs.

I had the ASPCA come on the 14 saying they got a call saying all of my rabbit are VERY THIN and DYEING. So i did let them into my barn they looked at all of my rabbits and sad i had AMAZING rabbits and could not find anything bad going on and what whatsoever NO animal cruelty going on. They sad for age i am a VERY GOOD breeder and have BEAUTIFUL rabbits. I do know who call it was a rabbit breeder\friend who got mad at me for going to a rabbit auction.

AC have visited my rabbitry twice since April 2011, The first time was because a breeder I was having trouble with back then told the SPCA lies about my rabbits, apparently my rabbits were skinny and dying.
AC came in and seen my rabbits and said they were healthy.

The second time was in August, a friend complained to the SPCA about a rabbit being in a wire bottom cage.
AC visited again and said the rabbits were healthy, and they even gave me a bale of hay :)

Now I do not let anyone in my rabbitry that I do not know well enough to trust them, when I am selling a rabbit I bring it to the front door now.

I'm glad to hear that your two experiences, Kayla and Mimi, with Animal Control wound up turning out well. Nice that the AC in New Zealand is so reasonable, Kayla. Wish it were that way everywhere!

I used to breed gerbils and didn't usually let people into my "rodent room" and would keep the mom with babies for adoption out in the living room area. I rescued other rodents/critters as well so I had a lot of animals. They were all well cared for, but I didn't want to get reported for nothing. I did also have some "illegal" animals in Alaska (dwarf hamsters and rats and degus) so I especially did not want to get reported for having these.

I've also seen a lot of rabbit breeder's places and rescues and for the one time the rescue had conditions that weren't up to par, I helped her out by donating supplies, fostering rabbits, and assisting clean cages instead of reporting. She rescued rabbits and sometimes got overwhelmed so instead of making the problem worse I decided to help out in any way I could. People are too quick to call AC instead of bringing up concerns with the owners/breeders first.

A couple of years ago I had to write a paper for a class, and it was on keeping rabbits outside. I interviewed an animal control officer. He told me that the cases they investigate are turned in usually by neighbors. Most complaints start out as sanitation problems. Laws on the keeping of animals are becoming more strick now, as more people within the city limits want to put in chicken coops for eggs, and now rabbit hutches for meat.

Back