Vinegar?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
Is vinegar a safe and effective deterrent for bunnies who think it's a good idea to chew on carpet?

Diluted vinegar masks urine smell, so it would keep a rabbit from going where he'd gone before, but wouldn't prevent chewing. You might want to try a little perfume [that you like, so won't drive YOU away] as that's likely to deter. Just make sure it doesn't stain.

I kept a bottle of diluted vinegar while litter training Harriet and I still use it when wiping down her cage.

The taste doesn't deter them at all?

I thought of it because I've used apple cider vinegar to train dogs not to chew on stuff because they don't like the taste.

JessicaK wrote:

I thought of it because I've used apple cider vinegar to train dogs not to chew on stuff because they don't like the taste.

I use apple cider vinegar in my bunnies water to help cut down on urine smell. They love it. And it does work.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
JessicaK wrote:

I use apple cider vinegar in my bunnies water to help cut down on urine smell.  They love it.   And it does work.

Not quite what I was looking for, but I may have to do that as well. What's the ratio of vinegar to water?

JessicaK wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
JessicaK wrote:

I use apple cider vinegar in my bunnies water to help cut down on urine smell. They love it. And it does work.

Not quite what I was looking for, but I may have to do that as well. What's the ratio of vinegar to water?

I started out with 1 drop in 5 oz water bowls. Continued to increase until 10 drops (took about 3 weeks to get to 10). Make sure you watch your bunny's water intake. Sometimes they do get tired of the taste and we had to cut back so they would drink. And then gradually build up again.

It really does cut down on their urine odor. And it's for their stomachs.

ZRabbits wrote:
I use apple cider vinegar in my bunnies water to help cut down on urine smell.  They love it.   And it does work.

Seriously? I am going to try this! I used to drink it for throat infections before I had my tonsils removed.

It helps digestion, especially after a sugary treat, by restoring the acid level. [Not that this should be an excuse to give sugary treats, I'm afraid.]

Back