Vetark pro c probiotic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
Have just bought this from Petsathome, as it was the only probiotic i could find ,but now at home i`m wondering about the vit C ? has anyone used this ?

contents per kg vit C 2,500mg,lactobacillus acidophilus,Enterococcus faecium,FOS soluble fibre prebiotic, electrolytes,dextrose, and chlorophyll.

sbaxter wrote:
Have just bought this from Petsathome, as it was the only probiotic i could find ,but now at home i`m wondering about the vit C ? has anyone used this ?

contents per kg vit C 2,500mg,lactobacillus acidophilus,Enterococcus faecium,FOS soluble fibre prebiotic, electrolytes,dextrose, and chlorophyll.
never heard of the stuff,,but it does contain live bacteria,(acidophilus-lactobacillus),.which makes me think of yogurt//.yogurt aids digestion,,but i believe i recall not good for rabbits---,do research before giving..sincerely james waller(rabbits united forum/uk):wave:

Will research this later but Vitamin C is water soluable so they will just excrete any excess thru their urine. I often use Vitamin C to manipulate the pH and get back to a more natural acidic state in the gut. I would watch the level of dextrose to make sure it's not excessive. Sounds like it would be really good for guinea pigs.

Randy

james waller wrote:
sbaxter wrote:

never heard of the stuff,,but it does contain live bacteria,(acidophilus-lactobacillus),.which makes me think of yogurt//.yogurt aids digestion,,but i believe i recall not good for rabbits---,do research before giving..sincerely james waller(rabbits united forum/uk):wave:
hey--,benebac,-- ingredients::benebac=20 million colony forming units per gram,..lactobacillus casei,,lactobacillus-fermentum,,lactobacillus acidophilus,,lactobacillius-plantarium,,enterococcus faecium,,bifidobacterium bifidum,,pediococcus acidilactici,,one gram for each 10 lbs.(4.5kg)-website=www.petag.com.//.petsathome sounds ok,,did randy give his approval-(due to the sugar content),,hope this helps...sincerely james waller:wave:

Thanks everyone but am still unsure wether to keep it and use if necessary or would it do more harm than good? Some of you are so knowledgeable on this sort of stuff but i`m just confused :nerves1:headsmack

Well, the bacteria in the probiotic are good. The question of whether or not there's too much vit C, and dextrose. I can't answer whether there's too much C--it might be ok due to the excretion into the urine. I'd have a taste and see how you think it tastes--is it very sugary? Is it a powder, gel, paste? If it tastes sugary, it probably has too much sugar. With that amount of Vit C, it should taste acidic.

Hmmm.... Probably ok. I found a study where rabbits were given 50mg of vit C a day without ill effects, it was excreted in the urine. That's supposed to be about as much as in 50g of cabbage. 20g of the powder you've got contains 50mg of vitamin C, so you could give that amount, I think, without effects.

I think since you couldn't taste the dextrose, it's probably not enough to cause GI problems. It's probably there as a "binder"--something to carry the other contents of the powder on, just like most of any medical pill is made of non-active ingredients.

sbaxter wrote:
Thanks everyone but am still unsure wether to keep it and use if necessary or would it do more harm than good? Some of you are so knowledgeable on this sort of stuff but i`m just confused :nerves1:headsmack
sorry ,,that i didnot ask this,,.is the rabbit on antibiotics.??.why are we going to introduce this product into the rabbits ecosphere.(gi tract)-,hopefully not maintenance,,,here is a link to the mystery ofrabbit poops http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html ..this is very educational,info...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

It's often useful to add a probiotic, even if the bunny's not on antibiotics, to help "even the ship" of a bunny's GI tract. It can help keep the GI bacterial balance from getting too far out of whack that it needs more serious vet care. I give my guys probiotics whenever their poop is strange or they're going through a lot of stress, like long car rides. These bacteria restore the correct pH to the GI tract and keep the good bacteria that live there healthy. In fact, many of the bacteria in a probiotic don't actually make it to the intestines--they are destroyed by stomach enzymes--but in the time they are active in the body, they lead to an overall decrease in the pH of the ingested food going through. Even if the bacteria don't make it past the stomach themselves, they have this effect that is carried "down the line" to cause lower pH in the entire tract, including where the typical GI bacteria are located. That's why you can use almost any acid-producing/acid-loving bacteria as a probiotic in rabbits--even acidophilus, which is definitely not a normal colonizer of the rabbit GI.

Latest posts

Back