Vet not wanting to do spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momof2buns

Reaction score
My friend had her rabbit (Caiman) neutered last year. He did great, they used the gas for anesthisia and gave him plenty of pain meds. I was impressed by how well it went for him. So I deceided to take the big step and get Abby's surgery scheduled this week with the same vet.

OK, so after about 5 minutes of chat about Abby, he told me he wasn't comfortable with doing a spay on such a small rabbit (she's 2 pounds) and because of her age (almost 2 years)...huh? So she's Risky?? :nerves1*sigh* I don't know what to do now...anyone else had a tiny rabbit her size spayed before? Any problems?

...off to search for a different vet clinicout of town..

Well, I just got a phone call back from the vet...he said that he could do it for $200 because he would need extra technicians to monitor her through the surgery.:?

They way he is talking, I'm not sure if I'd want her spayed by him anyway. I told him I would think about it, and so far I'm thinking NO.

I've had rabbits spayed at that age and small ones. Does this Vet do spays normally or just neuters? I know some will only do neuters - the Vets around me won't spay any rabbit. They told me if they did do it, it would cost $350 per rabbit, and I know that's just because they don't want to do it, that's crazy. I would try and find another Vet and I would also get other opinions from other Vets. At the shelter they spay older rabbits and tiny ones all the time.

I'm guessing your vet doesn't spay rabbits that often. Mine has done spays on my buns ranging from a1.2 lb, 4 month old Brittania Petite, a 2.5 lb 1.5 year old Dwarf Hotot, andto a 5 year old, 6 lb Dutch who also got dental surgery at the same time. I know they'll go much older than that too, and I was told that they're ok with little buns as long as they're over 1 lb. They just can't do a laser incision on the tiny ones like my Brittania Petite because there isn't enough of a safety margin. They will do spays on older buns of any age and push them for older rescued/adopted buns due to first hand experience with uterine cancer.

Usually rabbit 2-3 and under are considered no risk as long as they don't have health issues. Above that it's recommended that you do a blood test for kidney and liver values, just in case. My vet actually prefers to do that before all surgeriesas they've had a few odd cases. The shelter where I volunteer does not do blood tests and routinely spays/neuters rabbits of all sizesthat are 5+ years old, including dwarf buns. No problems in several years at least.

It's worth it to drive farther.

Snowy was over 2 years when she was spayed and the vet had no problems at all.

I could understand them not wanting to do it if maybe Abby was underweight for her size, but not because of her normal weight.....

This is a big huge red flag.

I wouldn't let him touch her

Any vet that is that uncomfortable doesn't have the confidence and experience to do it right.

I agree. He even said he doesn't do rabbit spays "that often" but has done a rabbit neuter (yes, I knew that-it was my friend's bunny-lol he was honest there). I'm glad to know that she's not a risk for spaying due to her size, now I've just got to find a rabbit savvy vet. I'm going to have to do some research now to find a better vet. Thanks you guys!

angieluv wrote:
This is a big huge red flag.

I wouldn't let him touch her

Any vet that is that uncomfortable doesn't have the confidence and experience to do it right.

Totally agree with Angie.

I would search for another vet.

It doesn't sound like he's too confident in spaying her....And you mention he even said he wasn't comfortable doing it on her...I wouldn't have him do it. Plus, it sounds like he's just itching for some cash too, upping the price because she'll need "extra monitoring"...? She should already have plenty of monitoring and extras anyway, not matter what size she is.... just my opinion. Never had a rabbit spayed or neutered before.

Emily

I agree the vet must not be overly experienced...

Our vets havespayed small rabbits (one of ours, Zoe,was just under 2 pounds...she was very small...full grown she is barely over 3!)

I think you just need to find a more confident vet...then again I don't think I'll ever get the image of our female vet swinging her arm over her head and saying quite loudly..."I can neuter-ANYTHING!" She was going through a bad bit with her boyfriend at the time! :D

Danielle

I have to agree also that is vet doesn't know enough. Look for a rabbit savvy vet for the safety of your bunny. I've known bunnies to be spayed at age 9 and Flash was neutered at 11 yrs old. Good luck finding another vet.

Runestonez wrote:
I agree the vet must not be overly experienced...

Our vets havespayed small rabbits (one of ours, Zoe,was just under 2 pounds...she was very small...full grown she is barely over 3!)

I think you just need to find a more confident vet...then again I don't think I'll ever get the image of our female vet swinging her arm over her head and saying quite loudly..."I can neuter-ANYTHING!" She was going through a bad bit with her boyfriend at the time! :D

Danielle
This is hillarious.

I used to work in a lab that did rat research that involved neutering the rats--that is so simple a PhD can do it (haha, but really--PhD's have no clinical training).

Her age is fine and 2lb is a pretty normal weight for bunnies to be spayed at.

Latest posts

Back