Vet emailed me back the questions I asked. What do you think for neutering my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks, but what about the pain relief now? She said it lasts for 24-42 hours and they get two dossages before going home. Oh also I should say I get a 2d check up and a 10day check up too!

If the vet said that the pain killers she uses lasts 24-48 hours, that should be fine. If you have any problems, I'm sure you can call back for help.

Ok, thank you everyone.
My rabbit needs his nail cut and i cant do them lol as he is very skittish so I was going to take him to my local vet to do it but I might make the extra journey to this vet and get a check up before neutering him along with a nail cut.

This is Ireland too, so things are probably not going to be as ''up to date'' as it may be in the US. Especially since hardly anyone gets their rabbits fixed here, and there aren't that many rabbits to begin with (rare to find proper breeders or rabbits in shelters). I think that vet is as good as it is going to get really tbh. Unless you are willing to travel a few hours, there might be a better one but I would go with them if it were me.

I cant travel a few hours tbh, I would if I could, but im just 16 and my brother is the driver and hes just 18 and hes not prepared to go to other places

The vets that im looking at is like over an hour away and we are passing three other vets on the way so i really am thinking about this carful.

I know, this is ireland and basically having a rabbit as a pet isnt common at all. I think I will go for her. She sounds like she really likes them etc and thier website looks good too. I think I will go for them, thanks everyone for all you input and I will let you all no how I get on.

Umm...we use surgical glue on everything including tiny wild cottontails. The thin skin is the reason we use it. I have no problem with sutures....a bit outdated....but never staples. The drugs that vets give for pain is usually Butorphenol (good for only a couple of hours) or Buprenex (good for up to 12 hours). My question to the vet is that would they like to have surgery performed on them and not have pain meds. Metacam is an absolute minimum, Tramadol is acceptable...Buprenex is preferred.

Randy

I have to agree with Randy. The pain meds do not last that long. In cats they might, but rabbits' metabolism of drugs is different and usually faster.

Also, it just makes sense that glue is better--think about it, if the skin is very thin and not as good at holding together, using staples (which are metal bands) would make there be more pressure on the skin at each staple, making it more likely to tear there. If you use glue, the pressure across the wound is more evenly distributed over a larger area, so the pressure on each point is less, and it's less likely to tear open. The glue is really easy to use and sets up within seconds.

It's also more bio-compatible than the staples--oftentimes the tissue will have a reaction to the staples because they're made of a material that's not very much like what the body is like, and that can cause swelling, irritation, and slower healing. Think of it as like getting a splinter. The skin there swells up not just because it got cut by the splinter, but because your body is reacting to the splinter itself as foreign material and mounting an immune response to it. The glue is made of molecules that look a lot more like the body's own molecules, and thus there's less of a reaction to it.

Here's what I say, if you can't find a different vet that does offer take-home meds and uses glue or even sutures on the skin, use this vet. Buy some baby ibuprofen for his pain management after surgery. It's going to be better than nothing, although honestly post-surgical pain should get something stronger. You will also want to keep him more closely confined following surgery for longer because of the staples.

Thanks alot for your input, this is the best vet I can find! So I think I may have to go with her! She sounds like she cares.

I know that glue may be better to use but this vet doesnt use it as her own choice. I would rather her use something she in comftable with rather than somethng new to her, if ya get me?

Also I got a 2d and 10 d check up after it so he will be well watched.

If I ask her for pain meds what pain meds should I ask for? Like what name? I dont know much about this LOL

pla725 wrote:
It sounds like she has experience with neutering and spaying rabbits. However herprocedures are a bit outdated. If you are comfortable with this vet I would go to her.
michellexgix wrote:
Thanks alot for your input, this is the best vet I can find! So I think I may have to go with her! She sounds like she cares.

I know that glue may be better to use but this vet doesnt use it as her own choice. I would rather her use something she in comftable with rather than somethng new to her, if ya get me?

Also I got a 2d and 10 d check up after it so he will be well watched.

If I ask her for pain meds what pain meds should I ask for? Like what name? I dont know much about this LOL

:yeahthat:

I thought she sounded great from the get-go. I did briefly think about the staples, but I checked with a few other vets and it boils down to personal choices and experiences, this isn't 'wrong'. A lot of vets have had rabbits chew incisions with glue and internal stitches and prefer to use staples as a result. An equal number have probably had the same problem with staples, but they go with their own experiences.

I would, however, insist on post-op home care pain meds, Metacam at least.

Good on ya for doing the right research! Your bunny is in good hands.

sas :goodluck

Thanks alot. I think its the more I read up on the internet the more nervous I get haha!!!

I will ask for at least medacam for him!!!

Thanks all for the advice

Latest posts

Back