Vet emailed me back the questions I asked. What do you think for neutering my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
I emailed the small animal vet I was looking at in my area and she emailed me back with all this, could you please read and tell me what you think? Im trying to find an animal vet to neuter my rabbit.
By the way im from ireland

we would see on average 5-8 rabbits a month, i mainly see them as i
have a particular interest in rabbits and other small furries as we
call them. While working in the UK we used to see alot of pet rabbits
as they are commonly brought to the vet there and there is also a
house rabbit culture there that hasnt seemed to taken off here.We
would neuter about 2-3 a month (inlcuding both sexes) and have had
only 1 rabbit anaesthetic death in 8 years - rabbits are more
sensitive to anaesthetic than most species and we have to be very
careful with the anaesthetics that we use, but even so they can react
to anaesthetic badly but this is not the norm. We also see a good
number of rabbits for dental treatments as their teeth grow
continuosly and can cause problems if not wearing them down properly.
They need an anaesthetic for this too and we have the special rabbit
dental equipment necessary to carry out treatment as necessary.

The surgical wound for neutering is made just above the scrotum on
both sides so is a small skin incision which we close with both
sutures and staples as rabbits can chew sutures out easily, we also
put safety sutures under the outside in case they do manage to pull
out the staples too.
NO we dont withold food or water - quite the opposite, rabbits dont
cope well with being fasted and we syringe a recovery diet sas soon
as they are awake as its improtant that they eat straight away after
anaesthetic.

Anaesthetic agents we use will differ depending on age and health
status we usually use an injectable anaesthetic and have a face mask
with oxygen. Other times we use also anaesthetic gas and the rabbit is
tubed with a special tube down the airway if the operation is to be
longer. We have heart monitors and heat mats on the whole time.
We then reverse the injection straight after the op and they are
usually awake within 10 mins.

If you like you could come in for a health check with your rabbit and
we could discuss further.

Hopefully this has put your mind at rest,

agreed--

I'm still not sold on the antibiotic you said they'd give him, and if they will give you pain meds to take home for him.

You said in the previous post that they would give him antibiotics after the surgery? Those really aren't necessary usually.

They said this to me in another email when I asked for the price

''we can neuter male rabbits from about 4 months old . The cost of it includeds anaesthetic, painkiller/anitbiotic injecion, 2 and 10d check up.?79.45 is the price overall.''

So what you think?

That's what I'm concerned about. That doesn't mention take-home oral pain killers, and the antibiotics really shouldn't be needed.

I'm surprised they don't use glue. That would be much better than staples and stitches.

I would ask for 3 days worth of metacam which is an NSAID. He may not need all three days worth.

I have a big problem with one thing....staples. That is ancient. The reason that rabbits chew out staples is that they are so irritating. The modern method is using surgical glue. We do not use sutures in neuters. With spays, there are internally dissolving sutures but the final close is by glue. Never had a problem with this protocol. I have only used antibiotics one time post op....and that was for a rabbit with testicular cancer. Pain meds are most important.

Randy

Another thing also is that they feed the rabbit after surgery, but it didn't say anything about making sure that the rabbit drinks water after surgery. As I have heard that anastesia(sp) can cause dehydration. So the rabbit would have to be hydrated after surgery. That would be my first concern along with pain management after surgery.

After Prince was neutered, he drank and ate after surgery. After Sweetie was spayed, it took her a bit to drink after the surgery, she ate when she got back home.

I'm unsure what to do now.. This is the best vets I can find :/ I emailed back about take home pain relief meds and I mentioned something about the staples..

It sounds like she has experience with neutering and spaying rabbits. However herprocedures are a bit outdated. If you are comfortable with this vet I would go to her.

no matter what, do not leave the clinic without pain meds. i remember having a bun when i was a kid, my mom literally sat on the desk legs crossed and stared at the receptionist until the woman got creeped out enough that she got the vet. when he still refused, she then voiced her opinion of the vet's skills (very loudly, and the waiting area was very crowded and they actually had 2 people leave. dunno if it was cause of her being annoying or cause of her opinion or what, but...) and the vet gave meds for the bun to shut her up lol

Thanks everyone, she still hasn't emailed me back about the take home pain meds but I will make sure that I get some. If I do I will have to choose this vet, I dont know anyothers around me and im even traveling quite a bit for this vet! Not many vets here get alot of rabbits in because like this vet said in the message she sent me not many people keep them as pets here. So its hard to find a good vet.

She replied back and said this

I don're really like using glue in rabbits as they have very thin skin - but just my preference, the sutures beneath do most of the job really.Two different types of pain relief given on day but for neuters there are not normally any take home meds needed as meds alst 24-48 hrs,

:S

I think this sounds like a good vet. :)

Remember, everyone does things differently, there is more than one way. And the vets are more experienced with spays/neuters than any of us are...unless you've done it. ;)

Latest posts

Back