Very red eyelid and on the inner part there is some brown please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebunnylove

Reaction score
I came home like an half an hour ago to find my boy bunny, Bentley who is a dwarf mix i think, waiting for me all happy with his bun wife Lucy. As I always do I drop everything and get to pettin. Well first came up Lucy and gave me kisses and recived some loves. Then I got out Bentley I gave him hugs and sat down. As I sat down I noticed his eye was quite red. . ( Bentley, who is about 2 1/2)

Bentley has had blepharitis diagnosed before but this is much redder then what it usually is, since it comes and gos just with a very light tinted pink look to his eye.

I have posted a picture below (hopefully i can!) but what it to hard to see is that the inner part of his eyelid, where the tear duct is located is. there is a stripe of brown! As you could guess I was quite alarmed and immidatley checked the other eye ,which was not there, and left a voicemail with the vet to get an appointment.

For now they just look horribly dry and I feel awful leaving him with his eyes in that condition any longer so is there anything i can do to help him out?

iPSJ2.jpg

Do you have any pet opthamolic eye ointment or drops? You could start using that until you can get into the vet. Try and inspect the eye to and see if there is just a piece of something stuck in there and irritating the eye. If you detect any bulging of the eye, it's serious and you'll need to go to an emergency clinic right away.

If you don't have any medicated drops, artificial tears may help relieve discomfort if they are dry. Just make sure the drops do not contain anything else.

You may be able to find an artificial tear lubricant for pets at a petco or petsmart, probably in the dog or cat section. If not I found a reference on the House Rabbit website, of using an eye lubricant for people, for a rabbit with eye irritation problems. It was a vet at an animal eye clinic that recommended it to someone for her rabbit. So I would guess that it is safe for them. It's called Refresh Celluvisc. It's just an OTC eye lubricant for people, so get it at walmart or probably any pharmacy.

Here's where I found the info:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

If it's just eye irritation from something, then this may help, but if there is a bacterial infection or some other cause, then you'll still need to get in to the vet as soon as you can.

Hello all,

I have just read this post as my little bunnies eye looks exactly the same as in the pic at the start.

What was wrong with your bunny Abi? Also, did u try any of the suggested comments? did they work?

Thanks
x

Back