Very quiet rabbit (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that just doesn't do much at all, when he's let out he tends to sit there and not explore or anything, in his cage he eats and lies, doesn't play with his toys or anything. I bonded him with a female a few months back to try and cheer him up but it doesn't seem to work, any ideas what to do? I'm going to take him to the vets for blood tests etc to see if he is anemic or anything, but all my rabbits look happy and are very active apart from him and it is getting worse, i don't know what i can do to make him active. He has developed a cataract actually recently, about the same time as the lack of activity, on one eye could this be the cause? thanks!

He might just be a shy, quiet bunny. My guys don't really like toys, but they do like to run around and play with each other. I'd get is eye checked for sure, and blood tests are always a good idea. I get them done annually. Since rabbits are a prey species, they have adapted to not show weakness or illness on the outside very overtly, so that they aren't preyed upon as much when they're sick. As a consequence, it's hard to tell if a bunny's ill sometimes. It's good to make sure he's ok with the vet. I would think the cataract might make him more shy because his sight isn't very good to see the things around him, so he's unsure about them.

Or if the lackof activity started about the same time, maybe he's in pain from the cataract, or some other cause?
I'd definitely get him checked out soon. Maybe give some Metacam if you have any, and see whether he gets more active when he's on the pain meds?

The vet has already seen the cataract in the past and said it won't cause him any discomfort, but i think it is most likely his lack of vision keeping him quiet, he's always been shy but not to this extent, buti will also get the blood tests done as soon as i can. I have metacam but i don't want to give it to him without asking the vet first, i'm not as experienced as most on here with giving DIY first aid and i would worry if he had any underlying problems he might not be allowed it, i don't want to do more harm than good. i will lw=et you know what his results are.

I wouldn't just give pain meds without an idea of what's bothering him, or if he's just being shy because he can't see well. Metacam comes with some side effects. If he's eating and pooping normally, not acting like he's in pain, or anything, I'd wait until the blood work comes back or a vet has a chance to look at him before medicating. Good luck!

Is he getting hay, and pooping normally?
I had a rabbit for FFA, and he acted like that. Didn't do much, just laid around. Then he died((day OF the show...)), and it very much looked like a hairball((his poops had gotten fewer and nastier, and he had some all over his back paws when he died plus the lack of activity)), which are fatal for rabbits.

Other than that wait for the results from the vet, or maybe he's just naturally a quiet bunny. :)

Hi, what type of bun breed is he? How old is he? My little lop used to be so quiet and shy, I wasn't sure what she'd grow up to be. She became very curious and exploratorey. I named her "Thor" because it was such a contrast to her meek personality-I wanted her to be fearless...and, I know it took a lot of guts for her to make that 1st move, and actually hop somewhere. I know rabbits 'freeze' when they're scared/unsure, etc. As my bun grew more confortable, she could become herself. I gave her lots of space (when we brought her home from her mama, she was so still and frozen in one position for about 21/2 days or so. But, I'll tell you, even though she came away from her meekness, her manner was always the same, even unto her death. She would lay her life in your hands, so to speak. She would 'trust you', not mis-trust you, and allow you to make the choice(s). This advice is not medical, but just a response to a 'very quiet' rabbit. Your rabbit has a different situation. I hope I can help in some small way.:hearts

I thought i should update some of my old medical threads, i know you guys like to know the outcome of things. Well he had a little conjunctivitis which the vet thought was causing him pain so we treated that initially. That didn't make any difference so i went back and asked about blood tests but the vet didn't think blood tests would help, instead he gave him a course of anti-inflammitory injections and they didn't work so an x-ray was done, and he wa found to have bone cancer and so with advice from the vet he was PTS :cry1:

we are so sorry for your loss. Rabbits are masters at hiding illness from us. We lost our Mel to bone cancer. Had a lump on his jaw--had it removed as they thought it was an infection. Came back after a course of anti-biotics, and so they x-rayed and gave us the bad news. Really do miss that big old boy. Rest in peace little one. :bunnyangel2:

I'm so sorry. Thank you for updating. One good outcome of this is that you can trust your instincts to see when a rabbit isn't acting normally, and figure out that something is wrong. You did all that you could for him.

Latest posts

Back