Very new to the world of bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GK44

Reaction score
Hello!

I just joined today and am happy to be here! I don't have a bunny now but am considering one. Not sure what breed, or how old, or even gender for that matter. I don't have any young children (am an empty nester) and live in Oregon with my husband. I came here to learn and read all these terrific posts and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

Hello and welcome to RO!

This is a great place to learn everything you need to know as well as being full of very helpful and friendly people.

Hello, my name is Aubrey. Welcome to RO! I am relatively new here and to bunnies also. I have found this site to be super helpful and very informative. The people here are really nice too. :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of bunnies! If you don't have a preference on breed or sex I say check out your local rescues. There are tons of bunnies just waiting for a home and most of the time they are already fixed and litter box trained. A huge plus if you ask me.

Hello, and welcome,
I personally recommend a male rabbit as I personally think they are less skittish and my males have always been faster to bond with me compared to my females. However, rabbits live best in pairs or groups (once neutered then bonded) so you could get a male and a female...

Breed doesn't make a huge difference, the best rabbits I have had are rescues, as you can see there real adult nature, so I really recommend visiting your local shelters, cuddling all of them and choosing which you like best.

If you need any help or advice just Pm me, goodluck

Hello!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been online, looking at rescues today. None of them are very close to me (hours away). I appreciate all the suggestions :)

Hello!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been online, looking at rescues today. None of them are very close to me (hours away). I appreciate all the suggestions :)

Ahh... don't let distance discourage you. My last pair of rescue rabbits came from California (I'm in AZ). The rescue actually had a bunny train, sometimes known as a bunderground railway, where various volunteers drove them part of the way. I ended up driving a mere 10 minutes to get them. Just letting you know there are always ways. :bunny22:

My local rescue is about an hour's drive away.

One of the great things about getting a rescue is that they are already fixed. That not only saves you a ton of money, but it also means that bunny's personality can be seen. Babies tend to all be the same. And with babies, not only are they especially delicate, but they are also a mess, aren't consistent with litter training, can forget litter training when hormones kick in. Hormones can cause all kinds of nasty behaviors (like aggression and spraying urine).

It's just nice -- especially with a first bunny (or pair)-- to have already fixed, and easily litter trained bunny. If you are considering a pair, the rescues usually have already bonded pairs too. This can also save you a huge headache since bonding bunnies can be very difficult and trying (and some just won't bond).

Whew! well that was a mouthful! Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to not give up on rescues too quickly.

Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks Blue eyes! I'll keep checking out the rescues and see what happens. You made a very good point about adult bunnies. Maybe that's the way to go?

Just a suggestion, but have you looked on Petfinder.com? When I did I found several rescues much closer to me then when I just googled local rescues.

No, I haven't tried Petfinder. Completely forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Latest posts

Back