Very Disappointed in Breeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
Well my brother got the Harlies today, 2 Does (sisters) and a Buck. I have been the one emailing her and well somethings were not too truthful, I think.

I did double check sexes, good there, but she kept telling us that 2 were showable, no DQs. Ok so I pick up the babies from a friend of mine that was heading to Knox from the breeder's area and well, not happy. The one doe (the one I was told is not showable) isn't, as far as I can see, the other doe is showable, but not a winner, but the buck that she kept telling me, my parents (who payed for them) and my little brother is "showable" well isn't. He has lop ears, I am pretty sure that is not showable right? He is pretty, don't get me wrong, but at least one of his ears is lazy. I was shown pictures of him and yes its the same rabbit, but no lazy ear(s) in the picture.

We also didn't get the pedigrees we were told, but she could of just forgot them. I have texted her twice and left one message, and an email, but nothing back yet. I have already told my brother and he was very disappointed.

It's ok, another one for Caleb, Myself, and My Parents for trusting people completely.

Their nice rabbits, but without pedigrees I have no information to hand Caleb with his new bunnies when he comes back Sunday.

Oh I thought I would add that it's not the kind of lop that goes un-noticed, I saw it as soon as I picked up the rabbit! My friend, who has never even owned a rabbit, noticed it and asked what was wrong with it. Raising a rabbit for 8 plus weeks, feeding it daily, and even just putting it in the crate for the transporter, you should of seen it. Its not like he would of not bought them, I guess he will still make a good buck and pet, but I am sure its genetic.

If you still have her address, I would go back and visit them, or write them a letter and what not. I hope the breeder i'm meeting tomorrow (we're going to swap bucks and a junior to expand our bloodlines) doesn't do that to me. Here's hoping!

http://hoppyfarmrabbitry.webs.com/ that's the lady I'm working with tomorrow.

If she is listed with the ARRB is it? Perhaps you could file a complaint?

She is a ARBA Reg. rabbitry. Not the same person by the way Blaze. I just tucked them in for the night and it looks like the little guy may have one completely flopped ear and then a lazy one that is about half flopped. Its not from a tat either as he isn't yet tatted.

Are you talking about the breed Harlequin? Can you post pics of them? The lazy ear could be from the weather. Rex breeders I know have the same problem with theirs during the summer.

Yep a Harlequin, I don't think its weather, it isn't hot here and hasn't really been hot for a few weeks. The ear looks as if he has not control at all over it. I will get a picture tonight.

Major bummer, happens all the time, thats why its always best to pick up the rabbits yourself and evaluate them before you hand the money over. Ears on buck may improve, may not, I've had funky ears on Flemish and Cremes that improved with age, it also be from a injury, not genetic. One thing I'd like to mention is that when someone uses the term 'showable' as opposed to 'show quality' it sends up a red flag for me, anything without glaring dq's can be showable, does not mean that it will place. Also if she knew they were going to a youth and would be shown in 4h and youth she may have figured that they were good enough, not okay but that could be part of it. You know I've had some rabbit people hand my son some really incredible rabbits for free, and seen others try to sell extremely poor quality for ridiculous prices, you really have to weed your way thru. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Just because someone is an ARBA registered rabbitry - it doesn't mean that they know what they're doing or that they're ethical (I hate to say that - but it is true). A new breeder can register their rabbitry with ARBA even if they don't know much about showing, etc.

Sorry this happened but unfortunately - in the rabbit world it is a "buyer beware" type market...withhold your money (at least 1/2 of it) until you know the rabbit is the quality you're going for...

When I got my Checkered Giants I was told not to tattoo them in hot weather as it would cause their ears to lop. I wonder if the bunny had some kind of injury that caused the ear to fall?

Hope you can make contact with her and let her know that the bunnies are not showable and could she do an exchange or something similar? I had a breeder do that for me once.

Good luck -

Denise

I know this may sound random but are you sure its not from the stress of traveling/ new home etc
Just I know I have a beveren and when she is stressed out her ear lops then when she is feeling better it pops right back up again. Either that or has the ear been damaged from handling ( not you but before it got to you)

just a couple of things I could think of first off
Im sorry you have had a bad time of it I could write a book if I had to go through my nethie experiences from breeders. Luckily I havent had that with the beverens or our new poles ( brittania petites toall the americans lol)

He hasn't been tatted yet, and its not hot at all here. His ear does hold up some, but flops most of the time. Hopefully he will gain control of it over time.

Ok I know an injury can cause the flop (My first show rabbit I bought was a Flemish that jumped of the table when tatting and the breeder caught her by the ear, never held it up again), but can't it be genetic? I was told by a breeder (Giant Angora/English Angora Breeder) that it can and is Genetic and will be passed on to some kits. So say my Giant Angora Doe Rosie (by the way she is spayed, this is just an example) that has a completely flopped ear, not from an injury but born that way, if she had a litter, I was told at least some of her babies would have the same lop ear or both would lop. Is that true?

He is I think right at 4 months old, without looking at the DOB. I hope he will pick it up, but it just looks to lopped for me to think he will pick it up.

I am not sure about ear control being bred through. I would put it down to other factors before I put it down to breeding but Pamnock would be the best at answering that question for you.

I know my beverens with the floppy ear was around 6 months old she is a bit older now and it has disappeared. and is upright again though if she is under the weather it flops a bit ( not all the way though) Other than that Im not the best at answering cause I mainly have nethies and they don't exactly have much ear to flop rofl

Latest posts

Back