Very Concerned About Zoey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and when I was there, another person showed up with a tiny baby rabbit in a kennel. It looked like a mismarked dutch or a dutch mix. Well I over heard him telling the person behind the counter that PJ's Pets had told him that the rabbit was 8 weeks old when he got it and he had owned it for about 3 weeks. The one problem, I saw that rabbit and there was NO WAY that rabbit was older than 7 weeks. It was as big as Mocha when he was 5 weeks. And I also happen to know that PJ's Pets will not take any rabbits over the age of 4 weeks! So I havea feeling they lied to cover themselves.

All I can say is at least that little guy is with a good owner, they were bringing him in for surgery for an absess. :shock:I think that surgery would scare me half to death especially on such a young rabbit.

Pet stores make me so angry!:mad:

How is Zoey? Pepsi's had gas.. and during the gas times, simethcone was heaven sent! After a good dose of oval, Pepsi was up moving and eating. But after it wore off she was back to her miserable self.

During thanksgiving the first time she had statis (vet said hairball, my gut said gas.. soI think it was gas). The second time, I rushed her to the vet because she did (Ithink)have true dirhea. It was very watery and a brownish colour with runny poo and anddidn't smell much. Good thing I did, because the vet said she was very dehydrated so she got fluid under the skin. So, I'm not sure if rabbits have true diarrhea.

How's she doing now? Sprite had a bad gas attack a few weeks ago. I think it actually might have been bloat, although it did respond to treatment at first. (Then of course, the next day when I started panicking my vet-the only rabbitvet in the area-was on vacation!:shock:) But when she did start pooping again, it was a mixture of liquid and large mushy poops covered in mucous.:yuck I'm guessing that happened because of the intestines not moving and because of the bacterial overgrowth that caused the gas.

I noticed nobody mentioned it so I will. Tummy massage helps a lot! Gas meds didn't seem to do a whole lot for Sprite, possibly because it couldn't get to the problem area. But we managed to help encourage gas and poops to go through with tummy massage, and she definately felt better after each session.

Actually somebody did mention tummy messages (sorry, can't remember who at the moment) but Zoey hates it. She absolutely will not let me even touch her stomach so picking her up to do it probably is causing her more stress than it is helping.

As for the diarrhea, I almost wonder if the Ovol caused it. Why? Because there is no more diarrhea, it was only a few spots of it so I wonder if that only happened while the Ovol was in her system. So I guess I'll have to make a note in Zoey's section of the bunny binder so I can watch her next time I have to give it to her.

That's funny. Sprite hates being touched. Hates hands. Hates me going near her stuff unless I'm giving her a toy to voice her displeasure with by whipping it around. Hates hates hates being picked up. And she relaxed and let herself go somewhat limp while getting tummy massages when she was sick! I guess she knew what was good for her.

Of course, she still thumped us off after each session.:?

So, from the looks of it she's recovered?

Pepsi loves her sides touched. When she had gas, she would lean against my hand that was rubbing the side and put all her weight on that hand. She seemed to like only one hand massaging at a time though.

She hates me touching her stomach, maybe that will change with time. I mean she was very unwilling to move like she normally does and probably would have let me try it but would have gotten up and ran away eventually. And I'm not willing to hold her and do it, I figure stressing her out may make a problem worse so I don't want to do more than I have to.

But she is feeling much better now and acting completely normal. Getting the stuff the vet gave me into her is a real chore though and Zoey is stained pink from trying to get it in her. :?

As for the thumping, it's a daily thing from Zoey! A day never goes by that I don't get thumped at atleast once. Most of the time it's when I try to catch her in the run (I basically follow her around for 10 minutes while she tires herself out before I can catch her). So thumping doesn't bother me, I'm so used to it form her, now if the others thumped at me on the other hand, I'd be hurt, they never thump at me.

Back