Very Concerned About Zoey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I'm so worried you guys, Zoey is acting very off today. She's been stretching out all over the place all day, granted it was hot but Zoey is not the type of rabbit to just lounge around the whole day, she is very hyper normally. Not only would she stretch out, but she would let me touch her without getting up to run away which she normally has always done (even yesterday).

zoeystretch.jpg

She wont eat rolled oats, pumpkin, dried apple, or anything else I try to tempt her with. She is peeing but I couldn't tell you if she's pooping because I can't tell which are Mocha's and which are hers.

To be honest, it's like she's in pain, this is EXACTLY how she acted after her spay.:cry2 She's not grinding her teeth and I might not have taken this behaviour for pain had I not seen how she reacted after her spay.

Please keep her in your prayers everyone, this is my baby girl. :cry2

Poor Zoey!

Sounds likegas to me, that's exactly what Dill does.

Do you have Simethicone? I use Ovol baby gas meds. You can give her a almost a full dropper full every hour for three hours. If that's what it is, it should work miracles. I don't think that's a bloat reaction.

Hope she's okay!

sas

Thanks, I'll try it. I still have Ovol from Eli. I just gave her the first eye dropper full, luckily she liked it although I practically had to stick it in her mouth and squirt to get her to even taste it at first.

I've got my alarm set to wake me up ever 3 hours tonight. If her condition worsens, I'll take her to the vet. If she's not better by morning, then I'm going to take her in as well. I need to get her checked out anyway, she's way too skinny and it's concerning me.

Yeah, my first thought was gas too...

Poor Zoey :pray:

Running is good... exercise and tummy rubs will help break up the gas bubbles.

The Ovol should work within an hour or two, so you'll have a better idea of what it is -- or what it isn't -- soon.

Both Pipp and Dill have shown pretty drastic improvement from the stuff, and they both looked like they were on their last legs. Very scary!

Naturestee's idea of a warmsock full of (rice?) to cuddle with is good, too.

:pray:

sas et al

I don't want to give her something like that because she will eat it and she wont cuddle next to it, she never cuddles next to something I put in with her.

But it's ok then to make her get up even if I have to poke her every once in a while? I don't want to make things worse but if moving helps, I will do it if I have to.

Does she eat towels? You can put a fresh-out-of-the-dryer towel in with her just to see what she does.

And yeah,moving is good. Is she one for tummy rubs?

sas

She is not one to be touched at all lately. She has been moody and runs from me. :XIt almost got her into trouble just a few minutes ago.

I went out to give her the second dose of Ovol but she wouldn't eat it like last time so I picked her up and cradled her. Well she squirmed when I tried but I still had a good hold on her so I tried to get it in her mouth again and she got out of my arms. :shock:The worst part, I was standing in the backyard (not in a pen) and she was maybe 10' from the back fence (with lots of bunny sized holes) that goes right into a big farmers field. When she fell to the ground, I immediately threw myself down and managed to catch her around the 'waist' but she slipped out of my grip, I was so worried about her getting loose that at that point I didn't care how I picked her up, just as long as she didn't get out of the yard. I did catch her on my second try, luckily. I ended up with a hairball in my mouth. :disgust:

Anyways, I learned my lesson, Zoey is no worse for wear, and she seems more active again. I hope it was just gas! Thanks for the help you guys. Now I just need to get on to making an appointment with the vet and hope it's only for the skinny problem and no other medical issues.

She's worse again. :(I got her into the vet clinic for2 this afternoon. I came out this morning to a few spots of really runny diarrhea, she was acting fine but I gave her rolled oats and called the vet.

My question is, should I take Mocha? I want to keep stress minimal so should I bring him along as something familiar for her?

I think it would be a good idea.

When I had a sick little baby foster bun, I took all of the babies in so the one wouldn't get scared.

I've read in alot of places that it's good to bring in bonded pairs to the vets because they can sometimes un-bond if taken seperatly.

--Dawn

Could you tell if it was cecals or runny poop? If she's acting fine, it was probably cecals, if she's still in pain and lethargic, it might be bloat. Sounds like the former, which is probably just a by-product of the gas attack, probably caused by something rich she ate, like spring grass, or she picked up a bug. Bloatwill require intensive care -- tubes down toher stomach, etc -- although it's very unlikely unless she's really really sick. The vetwill probablyxray her.

I'd agree with Naturestee about bringing Mocha. Let us know how she is!!

sas:nurseand the gang :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:(fingers and paws crossed)

It was a puddle of goopy brown liquid in the litter pan -- definitely diarrhea. And I took Mocha, even before getting any responses.

The vet lookedZoey over, said she seemed to be ok. She took her temperature which was almost normal (normal for a stressed out rabbit). Poor Zoey kept jumping out of her hands and you would not believe it, she would run over to me and tried to jump into my arms. :shock:

They vet weighed her -- 4.40 lbs which she said is not overly skinny, she said that Zoey is quite lean but it's most likely due to her activity level and she should eventually put on more weight because of her spay but that it's nothing to be concerned about. Then she weighed Mocha -- 7.58 lbs. :foreheadsmack:She said he could stand to loose a little bit.:embarrassed:I've had a heck of a time judging their condition so I never know if they're too fat or too skinny or just right.

Anyways she gave me 'Septra Pediatric Suspension' stuff to make sure any diarrhea stops. She also told me to keep feeding rolled oats, especially if she likes them because she didn't feel many poops when she palpated her so she assumed she probably hasn't ate a whole lot. The vet also would have taken a sample of her poop but she didn't make a mess in the kennel, even then, Mocha could have done it as well and I might have never known.

She was rather impressed with my knowledge and careful monitoring of everything from feed to how much she's pooping, LOL. She also recommended I switch all 3 over to Oxbow but up until now, I didn't know I could even get them without driving 3 hours. She's ordering some in for me and I should be able to pick them up on Tuesday.

So there's nothing else to say and Zoey is ever so glad to be back home, she was really mad when her temperature was being taken, now I know she'll never go in the kennel without a fight again.:disgust:

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
It was a puddle of goopy brown liquid in the litter pan -- definitely diarrhea. And I took Mocha, even before getting any responses.

The vet lookedZoey over, said she seemed to be ok. She took her temperature which was almost normal (normal for a stressed out rabbit). Poor Zoey kept jumping out of her hands and you would not believe it, she would run over to me and tried to jump into my arms. :shock:
Cecals will look like that, and smell worse than poop!

Pipp took a flying leap off the table into my arms as well, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! :?

Glad to hear Zoeyseems perfectly well. You can rest easy.

And you're a great bunny mom, even the vet says so! :D

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

No Cecals look like little bunches of grapes and it definitely was not that.This fell through the wire and it looks like a liquid in the litter pan, not at all like Cecals.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
No Cecals look like little bunches of grapes and it definitely was not that.This fell through the wire and it looks like a liquid in the litter pan, not at all like Cecals.
Cecals willturn into pure liquid more often than poop will. Bad poopy butt is from runny cecals. I canpress some of the 'grapes' and have the'explode' into really runnyliquid, so Iguess the 'grapes' can break down before exiting. I've never seen true diarrhea in a rabbit (and really hope I never do), but sure have seen a lot of liquid cecals.

Brings up a good question, how does one tell the difference? I know the cecals smell worse, and they're probably slimier and not as thick... but that's just a guess.

Anyone?

sas

Well it didn't smell and trust me, I know how cecals smell. :yuckThis is the first time it's ever happen and I find it quite weird that only once does 7-10 of them turn into diarrhea looking things. And her butt isn't poopy, neither is Mocha's.

Latest posts

Back