very cold babies!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
OK my first timer doe just has babiessometime last night. We had a nest box for her but she just had thebabies all around the cage, like there was one in each corner. Most ofthem didn’t even have fur around them, and they were freezing. I am notsure if I did the right thing but I had to pick them up. Most of themweren’t even moving, and now all five of them are wriggling all around.She didn’t have a nest so I put them in a box with a towel and a heaterpad on low. But I should I put them back, or keep them, or if I putthem back will she kill them? They have only been upstairs for 5minutes so they haven’t been away from their mother too long. I wouldprefer the mother to feed them but if I had to and feed them I would. Iam also going to try to put the babies back so that their mother canfeed them, but I would be watching closely incase she decides to attackthem ( if this a bad idea let me know). Any advice, positive ornegative, would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

A very nervous
~Amy~

P1011266.jpg

Hi Amy,

Don't be afraid to handle the babies. The mother won't ignore them ifthey have your scent on them. I'd put them in the nestboxwith some straw and some of mom's fur and make sure they stay snuggledin. If the babies are on the wire, the mother won't take careof them. There's a much higher chance of her feeding themwhen they're in the nestbox. The doe usually feeds them oncea day (many times early in the morning 5:00 a.m.) They shouldall have round bellies - as if they swallowed a ping pongball. If not, they'll need your help.

The babies have to stay warm and snuggly. If they catch a chill, you could quickly lose them.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

The bottom of the cage is solid, but it is on mybasement flood so they were really cold. If I put them back with theirmother will she try and eat them though? That is really my mainconcern. If I do need to hand feed them what is a good formula to givethem (i am just asking this so I can be prepared if I need to doanything) I have looked over the internet and all they say to do is mixpuppy formula and heavy cream...but I didnt know if that sounded right.

~Amy~

Some folks use KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) but youhave to get the dosage just right because too much can kill them, andyou have to be very careful of doing it slowly so that they don't getany in their lungs. Others have given their babies goatmilk.

The best bet is to get them in the nestbox and hope that the motherwill take care of them from there. There aren't anyguarantees as to whether she'll eat them or not. The bestchance they have is with the mother nursing them.

-Carolyn

Brought back a post by Sugarfoot about mother eating babies.

-Carolyn

I also just found this baby who's foot wasbleeding, I dont know what happened to it, maybe his mother bit it orsomething....is there anything I could do for this little guy?

~Amy~

Is it still bleeding? Is the injury deep?

-Carolyn

Oh My Goodness! :shock:

I don't know what to tell you. I've PMed Pam. She'll help.

Poor littleBaby! That'sa pretty severe injuryby the looksof it from thatpicture. Not sure if there's anything you can do.It looks like she caught it in something or was stepped on or mom'sacting up.It doesn't look like there's much of afoot there left.

Give her/him as much love as you can.

-Carolyn

the babywith thecut foot is going to needto becleaned up a littl,just use warm waterand kida gently wipe it off, when putting thesebabies back in with the motheryour going to have to keep aclose eye on her,make sure she is feedingthem if notroll her onto her side, orhold her up andput the babies usderher , making sure they attatch to anippel .

watch her for signs of aggression, it looks like shemay have already started, withthe looksofthatbabies foot, you may have totake them away and hand feedthem this is going tobe an ardious task , kittenor puppy milk replacer isthe best thing you can use ,i mixed a tiny drab of nutri calin it making sure it mixesin well ( use blender if you have one) make sure it isbody temp not coldnot hot. keep them onthe heating pad and if theystill act chilled geta small hot water bottleto put in there forthem to snug up to.they all look healthy enoughwhich is a good sign , butbefore you try hand feeding tryto get t he mother totake care of them , goodluck hon keep usposted please !!

Thanks you every SOO Much for your help so far! I am feeling so much better now! Here are some more pics of the babies.

baby2.jpg

Baby1.jpg

~Amy~

If any one had any more tips or anything it would always be appreciated :)

AWWWWW!!!!!! lookythe face on that firstbaby what a cutie ,,if you have to handfeed hon make sureyou have a tinysyringe and put it onthe side of yourfinger so the babycan lick it off i wouldnt tryand insert it into their mouths just yetas they may asperate it , ihad good luck with mylil" darlin doingit this way , noasperating as they are only gettingas much as they can take at once, dont rush themlet them go as slowly asthey need to , whenyou become a bnny mommy byproxy its a wonderfullbonding experience .

First time mothers realy scarethe stuffins out of meyou never know how theyare going to react to thebabies some are greatfirst timers some arenot .

i have one forst time motherthat was excellent and raising agreat litter i have one imready to strangle i have to keep flopping her tofeed the babies ( Darlins mother )gr she is making me nuts !! butthats a different thread ,

the baby with theinjured foot has thebleeding stopped for good ? imnot sure what to doabout that maybe Pam has asuggestion but the cleaner youcan keep it the better , avet visit may be whatsneeded but if it doesntheal on its own withno damage they may have toremove it ,

There is no bleeding what so ever, I dont knowwhats happening with the foot is just kinda hanging on...:( His foot isdry so he obviously was bleeding a long time ago, I am kind mad I didntfind them sooner. As soon as a woke up I went and checked on them and Ididnt see any bleeding then, so it must have been earlier.

~Amy~

ok just tryand keep it dry im not goingto suggest putting anything onit not knowing what themom will do .just keep an eye on itif it should start toturn black , it means there is no bloodflow to the foot .

NO NO !!!! dont bemad you didntfind them soonerhon , Rabbits have babies intotal silence you wouldnever have heard her atall even inthe sameroom , unlike a cat who willyowel and seek youout, bunnies hidehaving babies like there arepreditors near byno beating yourself is allowed. it has happened to many ofus there is nothing youcan really due about akindling unless you happen toactually whitness it at thestart which is very rare ! outof 9 does i have only seen2 kindle and thats because i happened tobe right there cleaning cagesin the middle of the afternoonwhen they started . I wishyou lived closer i would beright there to help you thruthis experience . youcan im orpm meanytime and iwill help you as muchas possible .

OHHHHHHHHHH! wait your not thatfar from me actuallypm me and wecan figure out just howfar you are ......

For now, keep the babies on a heating pad (on low). I'll be back on-line as soon as we finish up school.

Pam

good deal!!Pam will be back soonshe has better advise than ido !!

you have to let me in onthe secret of taking auchawsome pictures minealways come out lookinglike something other than what theyare supposed to be lol .. BTW!hon i am only an hourand half from you 40minutes depending which rocketermmm car i take lol

My Digital camera has one of those up close autofocusers, that’s why I can take pics really close up. Also when does ababy rabbit get its first feeding? I also heard that people who havetheir bunnies outside bring the babies in during the day and then bringthem back out to mom to have her feed them? Would that be a good idea?It is so cold down there for babies...it is like 55 degrees and I knowbabies have to be like 85 degrees. But I am going to try it with theirmom soon.

~Amy

Back