Very Bad News

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
I just got home from the vet. Carmel has been "not herself" lately. Her heart and lungs seemed to be working really hard. I guess I'm just overly watchful of that stuff since I lost my wonderful Buddy to heart failure a year ago. So I told the vet what was going on and he took her back for x-ray.

When the vet nurse brought her back she had a piece of tape on her ear marked nitro. My knees went to jelly. I knew it.

The vet came in and we looked at the x-rays. Her heart is enlarged and there is substantial fluid on her lungs. He'd already given her some lasix. He wants to keep her there for the day to do blood work and supportive care/observation. At the end of this day, we are going to discuss what the next course of action will be.

So I drove home without my sweet girl who's been with me for going on 7 years now. All of the memories of Buddy's last months came flooding back...meds, nebulizer treatments, that friggin nitro that made his sweet little ears red. How can this be happening to Carmel. Can I let her go through what he did? Why the heck do my poor bunnies keep getting heart failure!:grumpy

I'm just going crazy right now. I'm all shaky and can't stop crying. As I stood there and listened to what the vet was saying, I realized that I'd heard this same speech before from a different vet when Buddy was diagnosed. "Some rabbits do well with meds...blah blah blah." All I know is that Buddy's demise was drawn out thanks to me trying all of the treatments before he just couldn't go anymore.

This is just unreal. She's always been my super healthy girl. This is not right, this is just so wrong. The vet said he's going to be able to tell me when I go back whether or not she'd even be a candidate for handling the drugs. He said that her kidneys were oddly small for such a large rabbit. Whatever that means. Sorry this post was so long.

oh my i am so sorry, if i could hug you i would. Its such a hard situation to go through since you have been there before already. I am so sorry, give your babies kisses and hugs from us.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers, I really needed to hear them.

I just got her home from the vet. Gosh that was awful, apparently they gave her some oxygen treatment and lasix injections while she was there. They also did a slew of blood panels which all came out normal. The doc said he felt that she was better than when she came in, but to me she seems worse.

She seems disoriented since we got home. She went into a hidey box that she NEVER uses and has stayed there. Normally when we get home from the vet she hops to her litterbox and does her thing. But she's just not right. She doesn't want to eat even her most favorite treat. Maybe it's the stress from the day, I don't know. But at this point I'm wondering about the treatment.

After Buddy started taking the same meds that are now prescribed to Carmel, he seemed to go downhill fast. I have the meds here in front of me now. God I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

Although I've been using the same vet group for 7 years, I have not been really happy with them as of late. And as it turns out, there are a lot of folks in the local community here who areswitching tothis other rabbit vet and are happy. But my usual vet is the only one who takes Care Credit so I was stuck. Although today's bill went well beyond my CC limit. But at this point, I don't think it would be wise to switch up. Even though they padded their bill quite prettily as usual. I hate money (and my lack there of). It makes me even more upset that I have to worry about it when all I want to do is take care of my little girl.:tears2:

Buddy lived for roughly 8 weeks after he was diagnosed and put on these meds. Then it came to the point where he could not breathe and was panicked. That was the day we had to help him cross to the bridge.

So now here I am again. Taking it day by day. Watching to see when and if it's gone too far. Don't want her to suffer. I hate this.

Could you ask for a copy of her medical records and then visit the other vet and let them see the test results and her and give you a second opinion?

Peg

Honey, I really don't want to be a downer, I don't.

My first bun had heart failure, and we treated with Lasix (to take the fluid off the heart and makes them pee when they can't help it) and Enilapril,Enilapril was given toopen the blood vessels to get blood flowing quicker to the heart and the body.

Once I found out he had heart failure, he was put on the meds twice daily. I had him about three weeks after we started the meds. Sometimes, you can do what you can do, but the organs will also do what they will do as well. Either respond well or start to fail:(.

He just didn't make it beyond that, he just couldn't do it anymore, which I was starting to see everytime I had to medicate him. His tummy got quite rumbly, so loud, I could hear it across like a 10 ft room and he was almost always laying down. He was striving for breath after giving him the meds, it wore him out so much cuz he hated to he handled, what was I to do?

I know how you feel, hon.:(:tears2: I'll do what I can for Carmel and you, just ask. Switching vets would be good, but it sounds like they are doing what they should be. Sure doesn't render you not to find another, "better" one, that's for sure, and good luck hon:hug:.

I'm here for you and I pray for Carmel to live a good long time:pray:.

Please pm me if you need to talk:hug:. Okay?

Crystal

Oh Sweetie...what horrible horrible news...

I don't think words could quite help, but know that you're both in my thoughts and prayers, ok?

Hugs and love to you both...

Rosie*

I'm really sorry to hear this! Poor little Carmel. What a terrible situation. Sorry to hear about Buddy too :( Your story made me tear up.

Im so sorry to hear about Carmel, it must be a horrible thing to have to be going though :(I'll be thinking of you both and hoping for some good news...

Jen xx

I am very sorry to hear about Carmel! Such an upsetting turn for such a sweet little girl. (And to have vets that you don't have confidence in... that's rough! No one knows our rabbits as well as we do...)

You are both in my thoughts... sending healing vibes. :pray:

Back