very aggressive suddenly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a rabbit around 3-4 weeks ago and things have been going pretty well. Although she has lunged at me a few times out of fear when we first began bonding that had all subsided once she was fully recovered from her spay. Yesterday she was all over me and licking my face and hands. Today i went to pet her and she growled and bit me and even lunged when i went to change her water. Her attitude totally changed overnight and i’m not sure what to do about this.

My buck grunts a lot, and will lunge if he's under my bed and I reach near the entrance to put some hay or pellets in.

In his case, it's just his personality. He's never bitten, or even tried to bite... he just grunts a lot, including when I'm not being quick enough in bending over to give him a treat.

That said, personality changes could imply something's wrong. Your rabbit will still have some residual hormones left from the spay a month ago, however, and four weeks is a pretty short time for a rabbit to fully acclimate to its new home and environment. You also said she has shown a history of lunging within the past month, so it's an established behavior that may or may not ever completly dissipate.

I'd suggest monitoring her closely for further behavioral changes, and give her a once-over look for potential physical issues (as much as you can). Otherwise, she might just still be adjusting to all the big changes that have been thrown at her. Keep spending quality time with her and building your relationship :)

Rabbits definitely have changing moods and their body posture and behavior can "tell" you what their mood is at a given time. It could very well be that you happened to try to pet her when she wasn't in the mood to be bothered. Rabbits can be that way. So while she may have been all affection at one time of day, that doesn't mean she will be eager for affection later that same day. They prefer affection on their terms.

You may want to do some research/reading on bunny body language so you can read those signs. Growling can be a warning that means 'stop what you are doing.' Ignoring it could result in a bite. Lunging is another warning to back off.

Also, where is she when you are petting her? It is best to not reach into the cage to pet a rabbit. I reserve petting for when bunny is out of the cage. Too much intrusion into their cage (their sanctuary) can encourage a rabbit to become "cage-aggressive" meaning they feel the need to protect their territory/space.

Rabbits need a space they can call their own, a place in which they know they will not be disturbed. The cage is often the best place for this.

Since she's showing signs of not liking your hand in her cage (eg. changing water) then at least for awhile, you may need to wait until she's out of the cage or distracted to do water changes or to add hay, etc.

Rabbits are finicky and moody. They aren't always eager for affection (the way a dog would be). So don't take these incidences personally. Your rabbit sounds like she's just being a rabbit -- ornery comes with the territory.

I'd also agree with samoth that 4 weeks is a very short time for a rabbit to get settled in. Give her time, patience, and read up on that bunny body language. Here's a link:
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

My buck grunts a lot, and will lunge if he's under my bed and I reach near the entrance to put some hay or pellets in.

In his case, it's just his personality. He's never bitten, or even tried to bite... he just grunts a lot, including when I'm not being quick enough in bending over to give him a treat.

That said, personality changes could imply something's wrong. Your rabbit will still have some residual hormones left from the spay a month ago, however, and four weeks is a pretty short time for a rabbit to fully acclimate to its new home and environment. You also said she has shown a history of lunging within the past month, so it's an established behavior that may or may not ever completly dissipate.

I'd suggest monitoring her closely for further behavioral changes, and give her a once-over look for potential physical issues (as much as you can). Otherwise, she might just still be adjusting to all the big changes that have been thrown at her. Keep spending quality time with her and building your relationship :)
Thank you for the suggestions! As weird as this sounds i think she just prefers love at night because tonight she was all over me again. Maybe she thinks during the day it’s play time and night time is time to love mama. Rabbits are very complex creatures but i’m having fun learning about them and specifically my rabbit!

Rabbits definitely have changing moods and their body posture and behavior can "tell" you what their mood is at a given time. It could very well be that you happened to try to pet her when she wasn't in the mood to be bothered. Rabbits can be that way. So while she may have been all affection at one time of day, that doesn't mean she will be eager for affection later that same day. They prefer affection on their terms.

You may want to do some research/reading on bunny body language so you can read those signs. Growling can be a warning that means 'stop what you are doing.' Ignoring it could result in a bite. Lunging is another warning to back off.

Also, where is she when you are petting her? It is best to not reach into the cage to pet a rabbit. I reserve petting for when bunny is out of the cage. Too much intrusion into their cage (their sanctuary) can encourage a rabbit to become "cage-aggressive" meaning they feel the need to protect their territory/space.

Rabbits need a space they can call their own, a place in which they know they will not be disturbed. The cage is often the best place for this.

Since she's showing signs of not liking your hand in her cage (eg. changing water) then at least for awhile, you may need to wait until she's out of the cage or distracted to do water changes or to add hay, etc.

Rabbits are finicky and moody. They aren't always eager for affection (the way a dog would be). So don't take these incidences personally. Your rabbit sounds like she's just being a rabbit -- ornery comes with the territory.

I'd also agree with samoth that 4 weeks is a very short time for a rabbit to get settled in. Give her time, patience, and read up on that bunny body language. Here's a link:
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
She usually will accept pets from me when she’s towards the front of her cage while i feed her but i guess she was just being moody this morning! Thank you for the advice i’ll for sure read up on body language asap.

Thank you for the suggestions! As weird as this sounds i think she just prefers love at night because tonight she was all over me again. Maybe she thinks during the day it’s play time and night time is time to love mama. Rabbits are very complex creatures but i’m having fun learning about them and specifically my rabbit!

You bring up good points -- mine are the same way.

They like being pet only at certain times, and certain locations. Usually it's close to my bedtime, after their dinner, when it's getting dark out. Otherwise, they hop under/inside something to get away. If I try to pet my buck during the day, half the time he'll grunt and leave the room -- the other half of the time he'll allow it for 20 seconds before leaving the room. (I'm pretty sure he's thinking, "I'm not in the mood right now, human!")

I try to not take their behavior personally, and just chalk it up to their general rabbitness. They're not lap bunnies, but I do think they're happy: they get attention & pets when they want it, but left alone (and places to leave to/hide in) if they don't.

Rabbits are crepuscular (active in the morning & evening; sleep during the day & night), and I think their behavior follows this pattern pretty well.

I've had them for two years now, and I'm still learning :)

Back