venting about an incompetent vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elentari

Reaction score
So, since Mab is betting older, she's started to have some issues pop up so naturally I called the vet to get her looked at and checked out.
I called because her eye started to have some milky discharge and she's been leaving her dewlap sitting in her water bowl. He told me nothing was wrong, and that this just happens to "geriatric" rabbits. She's almost 6 but I know rabbits can live long lives. Anyway, I thought what he was saying was bullshit, since her eye is clearly infected and having a wet dewlap can cause skin issues.
I took her to a different vet, and guess what.
A bit of conjunctivitis in the eye (got a cream for it) and some fur loss under her neck and her sore hocks are now a grade 1 podermatitis; I got an antibiotic for both.
I'm just super frustrated that the first vet was so nonchalant about everything, if he wasn't I could've already been treating her issues, and I had to wait about a week before the second appointment and things could've gotten really bad.
I'm also upset with my self for not noticing her feet sooner, I have soft rugs and blankets for her and keep her litter box clean, and nails trimmed regularly. She's a rex so I know that these rabbits have foot issues but, **** do I feel like a shitty caregiver.

You are not a bad caregiver. Bunnies are hard! They never show obvious problems and hide their problems because they are a prey animal.
Glad you found out what was wrong with Mab.

You are not a bad caregiver. Bunnies are hard! They never show obvious problems and hide their problems because they are a prey animal.
Glad you found out what was wrong with Mab.

Thank you, I'm glad I got the second opinion and have medications to help her now.

Was the first vet an exotic vet or one who normally treats rabbits? I won’t criticize vets since my daughter is now one, but we discovered that unless the vet is rabbit savy we typically knew as much as they did about them.

Was the first vet an exotic vet or one who normally treats rabbits? I won’t criticize vets since my daughter is now one, but we discovered that unless the vet is rabbit savy we typically knew as much as they did about them.

He said he'd seen rabbits before, but clearly he's not knowledgeable about them. The next ones I saw are both knowledgeable about rabbits which is great.

So, since Mab is betting older, she's started to have some issues pop up so naturally I called the vet to get her looked at and checked out.
I called because her eye started to have some milky discharge and she's been leaving her dewlap sitting in her water bowl. He told me nothing was wrong, and that this just happens to "geriatric" rabbits. She's almost 6 but I know rabbits can live long lives. Anyway, I thought what he was saying was bullshit, since her eye is clearly infected and having a wet dewlap can cause skin issues.
I took her to a different vet, and guess what.
A bit of conjunctivitis in the eye (got a cream for it) and some fur loss under her neck and her sore hocks are now a grade 1 podermatitis; I got an antibiotic for both.
I'm just super frustrated that the first vet was so nonchalant about everything, if he wasn't I could've already been treating her issues, and I had to wait about a week before the second appointment and things could've gotten really bad.
I'm also upset with my self for not noticing her feet sooner, I have soft rugs and blankets for her and keep her litter box clean, and nails trimmed regularly. She's a rex so I know that these rabbits have foot issues but, **** do I feel like a shitty caregiver.

An update in case anyone is going through a similar situation: After taking her to another vet, she was put on meds for two weeks, and if they didn't help we were told to come back. So I did since there was no change, we've switched up the meds, and are getting a referral to have her x-rayed or get a CT scan or something since the vet thinks it's either an upper respiratory or tooth issue that we can't see that is making her eye all discharge-y.

Yes true. where i live there is a special bunny vet who everyone takes there bunns too- especially for surgery. His practice isn't close by us but it is worth it.

Latest posts

Back