Vent Disease

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
I noticed this on the first of the month whenI do my monthly "stock check" of all the animals and record weights and overall condition (the thought that this might be vent diseasejust finally occured to me tonight) :Houdini had a pus pocket on the outside of his vent. It's been cleared up ever since then.

He's never showed symptoms before, and has never been bred to another doe. Could he have got it from his dam?

Just a dirty vent than got a little infected (it looked like a pimple w/ pus in it, like on a human) or possible vent disease?

Would the pus come out of the vent, or like little pimples occasionally showing up?

Thanks,

Ellie

From your description and his non-breeding status, it just sounds like a small pimple on the vent.

In most cases, the genitals will exude puss, there will be scabs on the genitals and there may also be pockets of puss that don't easily clear up. Antibiotic ointment will often clear up the skin infection, but the disease will remain in the blood stream. Rabbits may also develop scabs on their nose.

Vent disease can remain latent and can be contracted from the dam, so I'd watch the situation, but I get the feeling that it's not vent disease (syphilis).

Pam

If there is any doubt, a simple test at the vet's can tell you for certain. Because vent disease is so easily spread and difficult to eradicate in a herd, I'd go for the peace of mind, and get the syphilis test done if you'd like to go ahead and breed him.

Pam

Latest posts

Back