Velveteen 'Butter' -- put to rest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lscarincio

Reaction score
Well, I had to put Velveteen (more commonly knowas Butter) to sleep yesterday. The vet examined him andconcluded that he had a circulatory problem (his heart was givingout). I cried the whole time, which I didn't want to dobecause I didn't want Butter to sense that I was sad :( Thevet said it would take 3-5 min after the injection for him to fallasleep -- but he barely got the needle out and Butter was gone,litteraly it took like 1/2 second. I was happy that he wentquick and it was painless. The vet was astonished to knowthat Butter was close to 12 years old, apparently most buns he comesacross are around 7. He lived a happy life, but we couldn'tbear to watch him suffer anymore. Thanks for listeningeveryone, I needed to vent. Take care.

Leigh-Anne

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you. It's notreally so long, you will meet again one dayat the RainbowBridge. He had a good life.

thank you for your concern... it is muchappeciated. I am feeling better about my decisiontoday. I haven ever had to put an animal down before, so thiswas my first experience. I never want to go through itagain. But at least Butter is hopping and binkying somewherewhere he isn't in pain anymore. :)

I am so sorry. 12 years is quitea long time for a rabbit, isn't it? But not long enough forthose who love him.

It's gotten to the point that I have to carry my oldest dog in and outof the house most of the time. He was 15 last September9th. I know what I should do.

Bunny Hugs.

- Dolores

you are a brave lady i couldnt imagine puting lyla to sleep .i hope you feel better and sorry to hear about you bun.

We truly understand the deep, deep love, concernandanguish that precipitates a decision such asyours. Rest assured, though, that it was the rightone.

I'm sure all our departed buns were there to greet your Butter, as hecrossed over the Bridge, and he will remain there until you arereunited once again.

Buck

I am so sorry to hear about Butter. 12years old. Wow. you must have took really good care of him.at least he isnt hurting anymore but you are now but thats the cost ofloving are little critters so much. I am not looking forwardtoa day when i have to make that choice for one of my pets.

Cristy

Bless your heart, Leigh-Anne. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

I'm going to bump this board's version of The Rainbow Bridge upfor you so that you can add Butter's name to those we hold dear in ourmemory.

sorry to hear of your loss.

Working at a vet office I see it quite a bit, it is always ahard thing for a truly caring person to do such as yourself. Even whenwe know what is right thing yo do it is still one the most difficultdecisions to make. our thoughts are with you, luv from theSavage rabbits to you.

Leigh-Anne - So sorry for your loss. It is sohard to put an animal to sleep, probably one of the hardest thingsanyone has to do. In the end it was for the best at leastheis not in pain any longer. 12 years thats a whole lot of love thatbunny has had. Even though it was his time, it isstill sounfair and mylove and prayers go out toyou

Vickie

Thank you everyone for all of your prayers,condolences and concern. It really means a lot to me (and myfamily). Also, thank you for the Rainbow Bridge poem Carolyn,it was very touching. It is so nice to have such a caringgroup of people to lean on for support during this time.Everyone is so warm on this forum and I am lucky to have you all toconverse with. Thanks again. Have a happy 4th ofJuly everyone... take care.

Leigh-Anne

(and Pip):p

Back