Velvet Lions? Really??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
It's too bad that the rex mutation shortens the mane so much :(

Right there with you. They'd be decently pretty with a full mane.

As a response to other's replies;
I'm well aware of the problems the lionhead breed has faced. I've been watching over the years. It's comparable to the frustrations any COD holders have to go through. If I felt like "rumor" spreading I could tell about the ridiculousness Blue Tort ND went through. Not as long of a drawn out process, but just as bad in the short.

I don't think any responsible lionhead breeder would add these rabbits to their program. A step back in mane, coat, type, not to mention adding in the recessive rex gene.

HOWEVER, the no-mane by products are simply mini rex. I'm not aware if these are sold to mini rex breeders. I wouldn't see a problem with it, if they had type and were mane-free. This person is also a mini rex breeder (seemingly a lot more so then these velvet lions), so this is just a secondary breed to what I think is their main.

I don't see the purpose in them, honestly. I get cross breeding, once I get finances sort out and build up a nice shed for my bunnies I plan on attempting to create something new (not going into details right now) but its got a point to it. Creating a smaller Angora type rabbit rabbit for easier care because some people (like myself) love angoras but I understand a lot of people can't handle their size and the amount of fur you have to deal with. I don't get why he would create this rabbit though, for one, a lot of his bunnies don't look too much alike. A few of them don't even seem to have the same type of body or fur. He doesn't really state the purpose of the breed except to have a rex with a mane pretty much, nothing about personality or usefullness.

Well, it says on one part of the sight that it was to get rabbits smaller than a mini rex. What I don't get is why the lionhead and not something small that can be bred true...like a ND.

I don't understand the mane gene. Can it be recessive, and only show up on babies if the other rabbit carries it, too? Or is it a case of either having the gene (and being able to see the mane) or not?

I think it's more important to encourage people to know what to expect before getting a rabbit than to worry about experiments like this. It's not as though someone's created a hairless rabbit strain or anything that bizarre.

I think it's more important to encourage people to know what to expect before getting a rabbit than to worry about experiments like this. It's not as though someone's created a hairless rabbit strain or anything that bizarre.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
pamnock wrote:
It's too bad that the rex mutation shortens the mane so much :(

Right there with you. They'd be decently pretty with a full mane.

As a response to other's replies;
I'm well aware of the problems the lionhead breed has faced. I've been watching over the years. It's comparable to the frustrations any COD holders have to go through. If I felt like "rumor" spreading I could tell about the ridiculousness Blue Tort ND went through. Not as long of a drawn out process, but just as bad in the short.

I don't think any responsible lionhead breeder would add these rabbits to their program. A step back in mane, coat, type, not to mention adding in the recessive rex gene.

HOWEVER, the no-mane by products are simply mini rex. I'm not aware if these are sold to mini rex breeders. I wouldn't see a problem with it, if they had type and were mane-free. This person is also a mini rex breeder (seemingly a lot more so then these velvet lions), so this is just a secondary breed to what I think is their main.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree regarding the many going through a frustrating situation of getting a COD. From what I've seen this has been the Lionhead's issue since 2000 when it first started here in the USA. And since I don't start "rumors", I think maybe you need to look back just a bit and see what's really going on. I researched this breed from the very beginning, including the laboratory data. And none of it's logical in what other groups are doing to this breed. Lops and Rexes. Just like you stated to Lindsey in another thread, the giants are in trouble. And why? Because of experimenting.

Example: Silver Fox. Who was there to help those rabbits? They are almost non-existing because of experimenting for a better meat rabbit. See the rabbit realm runs many avenues of interest.

Regarding responsible lionhead breeders, yes there are many, but my question is if you know the issues that the lionhead breeders are going through for this "Way TOO long period of time", why would you want to create another "glitch" in the machinery.

And I feel bad for the Mini Rex Breeders who could get this "Mm" gene in their breeding program if one of these "Rex mixes" gets sold without someone knowledge. And eventually will get into a breeder who doesn't know. Even a good breeder stands a chance of mixing.

I'm not saying anything that you can't do what you want to do, but experimenting with the lionhead breed is making the struggle a little harder.

No rumors here. Just facts. If you are seriously concerned about the Lionhead, and you realize the struggles, you would be concerned that these "experiments" are disheartening. The Lionhead Breeders that I know, and grant you, I haven't been a rabbitry very long, are concerned with reason and will protect their breed from mixes.
This DM gene is very fragile. Not unstable, but fragile. And it must be protected for the longevity of this Handsome Rabbit.

If you feel this is an "angry" reply, it's not. It's a concerned reply with lots of facts behind it.

Let the breed be recognized first before you start mixing other breeds, that are established already, into it. That's all I'm saying.

K:)

Velvet Lion and Lion Lops too. I've seen quite a few people working on Lion Lops(a holland lop with a mane- no thanks!)

I'm just waiting to see if they try to go for the velvet lion lop- lol, sorry I shouldn't be laughing but I've seen pictures of Velvet Lions with much better manes than those ones. And even Lion Lops with much better manes. I don't remember how I found them it was so long ago. It can be done, it will just take a LOT of time and patience and selective breeding and culling.

To be honest, I don't see what the difference is with these and other breeds of rabbits in the sense that, most of our rabbit breeds are created from mixes. All the mini versions, plush lops (I believe even lops as a wholewere bred down from buns with poor ear control or something?), woolies, etc. would happen to fall into that category. The thing that irks me more was the 'careful culling' which makes me think that this breeder was culling for looks and type rather than for health reasons and that really bothers me, especially since the breeder decided to 'invent' this new breed. Argh! But really in the end, it would be really hard for me to take arms against this breeder because it would be illogical to me seeing how so many other breeds were created by being mixed in the first place. Does it look like it's paying off at this point? No, not really. Doesn't look like a rabbit that looks significantly different. Will it in the future? Maybe, maybe not. I just feel sorry for the little guys caught in the whole 'experimenting phase'. :(

I agree with everything Nela said.
I always see on Gumtree which is like craigslist I think,
people advertising kits that are angora's cross with mini lops (holland lops)

and I find it really cruel because they aren't even thinking about any health problems that could have come up for the kit later in it's life :(

On another note. I do love that Velvet Lion on the first page. Not that I'm supporting it or anything. But he looks like a really kind soul that I just want to snuggle :)

Latest posts

Back