Veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
I have a little 10 week old lop, and I was wondering, when can I start feeding him veggies? I know to start off slow, a little at a time.

Are there certain veggies that are easier for him to stomach?

Any veggie advice would be welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

I can't remember if it is when they are 3 months or 6 months when you can introduce veggies. My lionhead Sweetie had carrots when she was 6 weeks old. That was the veggie that the breeder had in the basket with Sweetie. But I think that I would wait until he is 6 months to be sure.

I've read & heard (and first hand experience with my own doe) that if the mom has eaten veggies throughout her pregnancy and while nursing, the babies will tolerate veggies more easily, and earlier than those who haven't. As to WHEN to introduce them, if the above hasn't been the case, then I'd say yes to waiting till around 6mos before very, very gradually introducing them. Mine own babies started nibbling at small bits of kale at around 3mos.

I didn't know about this veggie restriction and started giving Butterscotch fresh long grass since she was 3 months old... she LOVES it... she eats a handful every day and has had no problems... she also eats a baby carrot, a couple grapes, and occasionally a bit of banana... she hasn't had any problems that I could tell... she's now 4.5 months old... I hope I didn't hurt her!!!

Rosiesmom wrote:
I didn't know about this veggie restriction and started giving Butterscotch fresh long grass since she was 3 months old... she LOVES it... she eats a handful every day and has had no problems... she also eats a baby carrot, a couple grapes, and occasionally a bit of banana... she hasn't had any problems that I could tell... she's now 4.5 months old... I hope I didn't hurt her!!!
No, if she doesn't have problems, it definitely didn't hurt her.
3 months (or 12 weeks) is what the HRS recommends for starting with veggies, so you were right on cue :)

I still don't know where the "wait till 6 months" comes from, maybe that was an old recommendation from HRS? If so, they definitely changed that to 3 months now.

Back