Veggies for a 4-month-old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemishLuv

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, and enjoying all your posts -especially the different DIY cages! They are awesome.

My Flemish Giant doe is four months old and I cannot find a veggie that doesn't soften up her stools. Dandelion greens seem to be the easiest for her to digest but we are running out of them!
I have tried:
-cucumber
-kale
-yellow squash
-dandelion greens/flowers (seems to tolerate these best)
-carrot tops only
-celery
-beet tops
-parsley
-cilantro

I've introduced a small amount, one at a time, stopping after soft stools, not introducing the next veggie until stool is normal-- and everything makes her stools soft!!
So she is basically eating pellets (one scoop in the morning) and lots of fresh timothy hay (though I'm wondering if I should get some alfalfa, as I've read that it's better for youngsters).

Should I just stop with the veggies and wait until she's older? Six months?
What veggies have you had success with with young rabbits?

thanks!!

leafy greens are the easiest for them to digest. I would try lettuce and see how she does with that. My bun LOVES her romaine lettuce, she also gets turnip greens, mustard greens. It all gets inhaled!

leafy greens are the easiest for them to digest. I would try lettuce and see how she does with that. My bun LOVES her romaine lettuce, she also gets turnip greens, mustard greens. It all gets inhaled!

Thanks!! I will try romaine and some greens!

Yes, lettuce is probably worth a shot, just make sure it's not iceberg. Otherwise, if she's still have problems, I would stop trying for a month or two, let her mature a little more and then try again. When I first introduced Bandit to greens at around 14-16 weeks he didn't take to it well. I stopped, and a month or so later simply tried again and now no problem :)

Latest posts

Back