Veggies And Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinirabbit

Reaction score
When's the best time to introduce veggies to the diet??I have a rabbit, Darwin, who was born in February 25 (my Birthday!!)Is it to early, or is it ok? If its ok, what are good veggies to start with, and how much? If its too early, when is it a good time?His diet consists of Sweet meadow Rabbit Mix, with yogurt drops as a treat with some oatmeal. I just don't want my bun to get a tummy upset and get very sick or something :(

what are you growling about? you only waited a few minutes for a response. sometimes it can take up to a day. you need to bepatient.

I believe you can start introducing veggies at around 6 months of age. Introduce them slowly and give only one veggie at a time so you can monitor how your bunny reacts to it and know exactly which veggie does what to your bun.

omigosh didnt mean to post x2, let alone once! lemme go change that..ilovetegocalderon wrote:
what are you growling about? you only waited a few minutes for a response. sometimes it can take up to a day. you need to bepatient.

I believe you can start introducing veggies at around 6 months of age. Introduce them slowly and give only one veggie at a time so you can monitor how your bunny reacts to it and know exactly which veggie does what to your bun.

Ok, but only give a little bit. I'm sure he loved it but he doesn't know if it's gonna hurt his tummy later.

But actually, if he was born in February then it's too early. He's not 6 months old yet.

/images/emoticons/mad.gifGee thanks :) just joking!!/images/emoticons/big_grin.gifI gave him some oatmeal, and anyway, I only gave him a tiny bitLets hope he is ok/themes/default/pray.gif

I just read on house rabbit society to introduce veggies at 3 months..so I think its okay, just in limited quantities:

[*]7 weeks to 7 months--unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (alfalfa)
[*]12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.) 7 mo to 1 year:

[*]introduce timothy hay, grass hay, and oat hays, decrease alfalfa
[*]decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
[*]increase daily vegetables gradually
[*]fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories) My buns love romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley.

Good Luck!

Haley

(PS. make sure your bun is getting unlimited hay too!) and heres the link for the info I quoted above:http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:

I did state in my first post the rabbit should be 6 months of age. You coulda done the math yourself!!;)

Ive never had a bun that young, so I thought I would check HRS. I use their site as a guidlines for all my feeding. So far, its been very helpful!

rinirabbit, you might want to bookmark that page to use as a reference as your bun matures!

Good Luck!

Haley

Lets put it this way, it's really a matter of opinion. I started my rabbits on veggies at 6 weeks of age without a problem and Mocha and Spice were eating veggies from the time they could eat solids. It is important to be very slow. You never want to give too much and cause diarrhea.

There really isn't a proper age. Like MBB, I introduced vegetables a lot younger then most sites say. They say to feed when3 months or 6 months because people tend to over feed vegetables in thebeginning instead of introducing them slowly. Just give him a tiny bit ofvegetables to start with and wait a few hours and give another small amount. Leave him for 24 hrs and check to see if there's any upset in tummy ect. Once you feel comfortable that he's handling the first choice well, you can slowly add variety.

I start feeding veggies as soon as they show interest. But I don't go over board, I just feed little bits a couple times a week.

Normally it's just cooking left overs, broccoli stems and such. So they have a few days in between to observe for tummy upsets.

I have yet to have any problems, and I done it with three litters now.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back