Veggie Platter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
What is on your bunnies' daily veggie platter?

I'm always so scared about what's good or bad, Rilee just gets lettuce, but I want to give her variety!!

Check the Library Veggies thread for lists of safe foods:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

My "poor" rabbits have less variety right now because the garden is dead for the season. I grow a lot of veggies for them, including a bunch of different herbs that I can't get in decent amounts in grocery stores. Even with having to rely on grocery stores I change it up a bit so they aren't getting the same exact thing all the time. Right now they are getting red leaf lettuce, escarole, parsley, collard greens, turnip leaves, canned pumpkin, and the occasional bit of cauliflower.

Other grocery store veggies I often get- any kind of dark, leafy lettuce, any kind of cabbage but purple is their favorite, kale, cilantro, dill, mustard greens, swiss chard, bok choy, spinach, carrot greens, carrots, broccoli, alfalfa sprouts, and pea pods.

I make sure to feed a lot of variety, because as far as Fey's concerned the less pellets and the more veggies she gets, the better. Of course, it's easier to have a variety when you have a lot of rabbits to eat it all up! When I just had Mocha I would buy lettuce mixes, especially Spring Mix, and some herbs and that was about it. If I bought much more, most of it would have gone bad before she could eat it all.

I do feed the veggies reputed to be gassy, such as cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower, because none of my buns have problems with them. I'm not feeding them to the foster bun Luna yet since veggies are still new to her. She already went from zero veggies to a big handful twice a day in about a few days stretch because veggies were about all she could eat due to molar spurs. She was fine.

Edit: Normally when adding something new, give a small amount for a few days and stop if the bun seems to have issues such as gas, runny cecals (messy butt), etc. Some rabbits really are sensitive, just not mine. Of course, every single rabbit in this house would sooner bite me than eat banana, so they can all be a bit different.:D

cilantro is a MUST HAVE in this house. I swear layla turns up her nose if she doesn't get any.

So I always have that on hand, plus I use it in cooking along w/ parsley and spinach. Her other favorites are kale, mustard greens, and of course she goes bonkers for a little bite of baby carrot!

i got this stuff called pet grass this summer that i grew all summer, layla absolutely loved that too! i got it at a local pet store, it was a really good deal and it continuely kept growing....until i forgot to water it haha :(

My buns don't really get a daily platter, they get it as treats. A must have is basil, that is something everyone will eat (and most prefer it above things considcered 'treats'). Coriander is loved by some buns, as is parsley, but not others.

Green pepper is a big no no, lol. I've never seen bunnies run so fast from something they could eat. lol.

At the moment, Rory has romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, carrots, cucumber, celery and my herb garden at his disposal. I usually just go to the store and pick up 5 things or so that I know are good for him. He doesn't necessarily get all of them per day, but at least 4 or so.

Is zucchini and yellow squash okay to offer rabbits? I read somewhere that zucchini is, but just double checking.

kat.

These veggies and fruits are safe to feed a pet rabbit:

Apple (not seeds)
Artichoke
Arugula
Asparagus

Banana
Basil
Beet tops
Blackberry (leaves, stems, fruit)
Blueberry
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts

Cantaloupe
Caraway
Carrot (tops and root)
Celery
Chard
Chives (in moderation)
Cilantro
Clover
Collard greens
Cucumber

Dandelion (leaves, stem, flower)
Dill

Endive
Escarole

Fennel Zucchini

Grapes
Green pepper

Honeydew Melon
Kale

Lemon balm
Lettuce (romaine, red & green leaf)
Lilac

Marigold
Marjoram
Mint
Mustard greens

Papaya (no seeds)
Parsley
Peach
Pear
Pineapple

Radish Tops
Raspberry (leaves, stems, fruit)

Sage
Savory
Spinach
Strawberry

Tomato (fruit only; greens are toxic)
Watermelon
Watercress

Fruit should always be given in moderation as the high sugar
content may cause diarrhea.

Introduce fruits and vegetables slowly over several weeks.
Remember no pesticides!!!!!

DO NOT FEED

Plants found to be Poisonous to Rabbits

Aloe vera
Amaryllis
Anemone
Antirrhinums
Azalea

Buttercups
Bluebells
Bittersweet
Bryony

Caladium
Carnation
Chocolate
Clematis
Crown-of-Thorns
Cyclamen
Columbine
Chrysanthemums

Daffodil
Dahlias
Deadly Nightshade
Delphinium
Dieffenbachia
Dracaena
Dog Mercury

Evergreens

Fig
Figwort
Fools Parsley

Poppies
Ragwort

Foxglove
Hemlock
Holly
Hyacinth
Hydrangea

Impatiens
Iris
Ivy

Jerusalem Cherry
Juniper

Kingcup
Leyland Cypress

Laburnum
Lords And Ladies
Lily of the Valley
Lobelia
Lupins

Marsh Marigold
Monkshood
Meadow Saffron
Mistletoe
Morning Glory

Narcissus

Oleander
Onions

Peony
Philodendron
Primrose
Privet

Schefflera
Spurges
St Johns wort

Rhododendron
Rubber Plant

Tulip

Tulips
Yew
Wisteria
Woody Nightshade

http://petcaretips.net/small_pets.html

same website with Bunny info
http://petcaretips.net/rabbit_care.html

-April and Bunbuns

dandelion greens, dill, parsley, baby bok choy, bibb lettuce, green and red leaf lettuce, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, ect

winnie gets just about anything that is safe for her. my roommate is a veggie, and i eat about 75% of my meals that way, so we go through lots of green foods!

winnie gets about 2 unpacked cups of mixed veggies/greens a day, and only about 1/2 cup of pellets to munch on (she never just sits there and eats the whole bowl). i normally set her veggie plate in front of her in the morning and let her eat breakfast with me (i am normally standing in the kitchen eating, while she is sitting next to me eating as well), then i pack it up and go to work, i give it back to her when i get home and she has about an hour to eat all she wants before i toss the leftovers.

if i had the time and the resouces to learn more about rabbit nutrition i would basically cut out the pellets entirely (just a little bit a day), but i simply don't have the time! with her being a free range rabbit she doesn't tend to get fat as she is moving around the apartment the entire day.

Back