Valuran's vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
As I expected, he's on Baytril for his "cold".Thankfully, we caught it in time and didn't wait. I think we all knowhow quickly things can develop with rabbits and Dave and I didn't wantto wait.

I didn't really like the doctor. He wasn't our usual doc, I guess thenormal guy was on vacation. The nerve of him, taking a vaction duringNew Years! *huff* :p Anyway, I guess I just didn't like the lecture wegot on feeding, and providing enough hay and yadda yadda yadda. Plus,he was rather rough with poor Vey Vey, much more so than anyone elseI've ever seen. I suppose I should be glad that he was testing me tomake sure I was up to par on my rabbit care knowledge and that he knewwhat he was talking about.

He told us that all rabbits carry Pasturella. Is this true?

Stephanie wrote:
...He told us that all rabbits carry Pasturella. Is this true?
I suspect so. If not all, certainly most, but most rabbit'simmune systems are capable of keeping it in check. If something upsetsthat balance, it can lead to the Pasturella causing various and sundrylife threatening illnesses

If Pam sees your question, I'm sure she's capable of providing a better explanation.

I'm happy that it seems you have the situation under control. Prayers will continue from here for your bun, though.

Buck

We did and were told that if one rabbit was sick,then basically the others would get it too. We have enough baytril togive to Chompers as well, so I'm going to treat him too. Abby hasn'thad any symptoms, so I'm going to hold off on it.

The thing that didn't sit right with me about this visit, was that hetold us that it's Pasturella and that all rabbits carry it, will alwayshave it and that it'll crop up from time to time. Now, I was under theimpression that the only sure fire way to diagnose Pasturella was ablood test.

Oh, I'm glad you got him some medicine :)

Yes, I've read that they carry pasturella but it gets out of control orsomething when they get sick. There's a big article on itsomeplace online. (When Bo sneezed all the time I did a bunch ofresearch!)

I hate it when you get a different vet or doc.... it's never like your regular one.

Thanks for the update, what about the others?

Oh yeah, he weighs 2.38 kg (5.25pounds)now. We need to make sure he doesn't get much bigger than that.Thankfully, he's VERY active, runs around a lot and stuff like that.

Thanks for the infoBuck. Knew I could count on you! :)

All in all, Varluan was not impressed with being there. Not that I canblame him. Heck, I don't like when I have to gotothedoctor either!

Oh he is a big boy! Of course not all are breed perfect size, etc., but he looks perfect :)

Bo doesn't mind going in the car, he lays down and sleeps.However, he doesn't like the vet messing with his paws! He'lljump up to me if he gets the chance!

Tell Valuran that he has to get all better. Drink lots of water and rest!

We'll keep him in our prayers (and chompers too :) )

Stephanie wrote:
We did and were told that if one rabbit was sick, thenbasically the others would get it too. We have enough baytril to giveto Chompers as well, so I'm going to treat him too. Abby hasn't had anysymptoms, so I'm going to hold off on it.

... I was under the impression that the only sure fire way to diagnose Pasturella was a blood test.
We've had rabbits that died of pasturella induced illness, but theirmates were not affected in any apparent way. I would not,however, bank on that probability. I think it depends on theimmune system of the healthy rabbit.

Blood tests can confirm pasturella's presence and, I think, determine if any other conditions have surfaced as a result.

I'm a little over my head here and don't want to spreadmisinformation. I'm hoping someone else with more expertisewill jump in.

Buck

Bo - he is a big boy. As active as he is though,I know it's not fat. He's pretty solid. That rabbit doesn't stop movingeither, he's always running (he's the Binky King), playing, grooming,investigating. I'm not overly concerned about it.

Buck - thanks for the information. If they do have it, then we'll justhave to deal with it when something comes up. As there is no cure yet,what else is there to do? They all all otherwise healthy rabbits thateat well, play well and groom like mad. I'm with them pretty much 24-7so can tell if something is wrong with them.

Stephanie wrote:
Bo - he is a big boy. As active as he is though, I know it'snot fat. He's pretty solid. That rabbit doesn't stop moving either,he's always running (he's the Binky King), playing, grooming,investigating. I'm not overly concerned about it.
Oh no! he looks perfect! I imagine it's muscle! he looks very strong!

I am amazed by the strength they have actually! Bo will fliphis beddy bye over and things like that.... when he was a tiny baby hewould drag a soccer cleat around with him.... it was as BIG AS HE WAS!:p

I worry about Bo cause he has "love handles" when he laysdown. I just want him healthy..... I don't care if he's a bigboy..... we want a flemish sometime..... LOL!

Oh, bless your heart, Stephanie! I'mjust now reading this thread. So sorry to read that our dearValuran has been ill.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!

--BunnyMommy and Sherman

Stephanie wrote:
The thing that didn't sit right with me about this visit, was that hetold us that it's Pasturella and that all rabbits carry it, will alwayshave it and that it'll crop up from time to time. Now, I was under theimpression that the only sure fire way to diagnose Pasturella was ablood test.

Correct -- blood tests would indicate antibodies against Pasteurella(from exposure or an active infection).

A friend of mine occasionally had rabbits that would sneeze orperiodically have some discharge from the nose. All hadextensive blood testing done -- but none showed antibodies toPasteurella.

As Buck mentioned, rabbits may carry Pasteurella and beasymptomatic.

It's a more accurate statement to simply say that rhinitis, which has a number of causes,is common in rabbits.

Here's some excellent info on Pasteurella

http://www.rabbit.org/care/pasturella.html

Reasons why the tests may not be helpful in diagnosing an active Pasteurella infection:

http://www.sonic.net/~snevel/documents/antibody_titers

Pam

Below is more info that I've posted previously:

"Snuffles" is a generic term for rhinitis/cold symptoms in rabbitswhich may include congestion, sneezing, matted paws, runny eyes,temperature, runny nose (clear, white or colored). In some cases, theillness may progress into a bacterial infection such as pneumonia. Theterm snuffles is not specific to any particular pathogen and may or maynot be contagious. In most cases where the rabbit is "blowing snot" thecondition is chronic and may respond only temporarily to treatment.Certain medications can help to relieve symptoms.

Common pathogens that may cause "cold/snuffles" symptoms in rabbitsinclude Pasteurella (often in conjunction with Bordatella), Staph,Strep, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, fungus or environmental irritants.

A nasal culture of the "snot" can be taken. This test is less expensive, but also less accurate than an extensive blood test.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to attempt successful treatment withoutfirst identifying the pathogen so the correct antibiotic can be used ifthe infection is bacterial.

The mucus can cause irritation around the nasal passages that can leadto a bacterial infection and painful scabbing around the nose.

A little vicks in a vaporizer can help relieve symptoms while the rabbit is undergoing treatment.

He's not too happy with Mommy and Daddy right now. They gave us a liquified form of Baytril. Need I say more?

Bo - he'svery strong rabbit, I don't think he has any fat onhim. When we pet him, he's solid. Like I've said before, he's veryactive and plays hard. I guess if we see him getting any bigger, thenwe'll worry. I admit, we got bad with the treat thing a while back,especially the oats. Now we limit everything.

Thank you, Pam. As always, you are our walking encyclopedia of information! :)

I think mini-Rexes just have the propensity to besolid. Rex isn't fat at all, but he certainly has a footballshaped little body, and very firm, round midsection. Peanut's yourbasic floppy lop and is more lithe than Rex is; I'm always amazed whenI go to pick him up how strong he really is. :shock: It's hard to get agood grip on a squirmy mini-Rex!

Stephanie wrote:
Don't I know it! He did NOT want his meds today. At all.Last time we get liquid form, i can tell you that much.

Can you mix it with something thicker (Nutri Cal, Peanut Butter)that will "stick" a little better?

Pam

Stephanie wrote:
We're trying to think of something like that. I haven'tthought of peanut butter......

Applesauce or canned pumpkin would work well also.

Pam

Hmmmm...I just gobbled up the last of the applesauce. I could eat that stuff all day long! lol

I am going to try the peanut butter. Maybe I'll test him first, see ifhe even likes peanut butter. I don't think I have canned pumpkin onhand though. He didn't seem to mind the taste of the baytril, it wasthe being held and forced to take it he didn't like. Not that I canblame the little guy.

Latest posts

Back