Vaccination reaction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruckstar12

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm from NZ and I took my bunny, Buzz to the vet last week for his booster calicivirus vaccination and a few days later he ended up with a relatively large patch of necrosis (wound) on the back of his neck in reaction to the vaccination. I took him to the vet and she said it's not infected and will heal naturally (aided by some pawpaw cream).
I remember my old rabbit also having a similar reaction to his vaccination and was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar things with their rabbits?

In the US we don't have routine vaccinations.

Sorry I can't help out with any advice.

I hope Buzz heals up quickly with no further complications.

:pray:

So sorry to hear your bunny is having a reaction. And sorry no advise because there really is no vaccination in United States for rabbits.

At least the good news is that there is no infection and it will heal naturally.

Hoping the healing time is quick for your bunny. It's tough when things meant to be good for you, hurts.

K :)

I dont know much about the vaccine itself.... Bunnys dont get vaccines here. If its not getting worse Id say just wait for it to heal.
Apart from tips for next time....
If its necrosing, it means its constricting vessels in the area allowing the tissues to die, or it could just be that bad. Try massaging the area more after a vaccination is given, use a warm compress on the area after the vaccine was given to help open and relax the vessels and skin in the area to allow the liquid to disperse easier.
You can offer Benadryl, either plain liquid with no other crap in it apart from the Diphenhydramine, or crushed tablets. Dosage would be 2mg/kg or 1mg/lb. This could be given prior to arival at the vets so its already in the system doing its job before the injection is given. It can be repeated in 8 hours.

Try and ensure the vet alcohols the area and lets it dry prior to injection. Maybe it wasnt from the vaccine itself but the needle?

Ah that's interesting that there is no vaccine over there, thanks for your suggestions. I was mostly curious to see if this is a common thing.
The vet shaved around the scab to stop irritation and I applied Pawpaw cream every day and now the scab has fallen off and the skin looks to be healing nicely, now just have to wait for his hair to grow back! :)

Latest posts

Back