UVic Rescue Information Posts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Here's a score card re: who is who... I'll probably be adding to it.

I'm aligning myself with Laura-Leah and the Texas rescue, Susan/EARS already has the money, Roslyn is fighting a battle that can't be won.

Susan Vickery/ EARS (Salt Spring)

- [email protected]
– small sanctuary operator
– EARS (earthanimalrights.org)

Susan’s was granted the first permit allowing the removal of UVic Rabbits from the grounds to her Salt Spring Island facility and is also spearheading the sanctuary at Coombs, BC, connected to an existing parrot rescue. (permit pending) She has raised $40,000 for the construction, care and maintenance of the EARS (40?) and the Coombs (400) rabbits.

Laura Lee Shaw (Vancouver)

– activist/real estate agent
- website?

Laura-Leah Shaw stepped in independently of EARS and Vickery and found placements for 1000+ rabbits at the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch in Texas. (http://wildroserescueranch.com). She is raising funds for transport and maintenance and channeling them through TRACS, an established Kelowna-area sanctuary.

Roslyn Cassells (New West)

- activist
- Action For UVic Rabbits
- Roslyn stepped in successfully seeking an injunction when it appeared the campus would start a ‘cull’ at the end of July,

Carmina Gooch (N. Van)

– owner/admin of rabbitadvocacy.com

Carmina has been assisting almost all parties, lobbies.

Sorelle Saidman (Vancouver)

- owner/admin of http://www.rabbitsonline.net, rep for Rabbitats For Humanity (Quan Myers, Maine)
- rabbitsonline.net, rabbitatsforhumanity.org

Sorelle is recently on the UVic rabbits scene as a rabbit consultant (behavioral, health, welfare) with a mandate to encourage and help plan small, sustainable sanctuaries (Rabbitats) around the province.

TRACS – The Responsible Animal Care Society – (Westbank, BC)

- [email protected]
- Sanctuary in the Kelowna area.
- http://www.tracs-bc.ca/

TRACS, under Sinikka Crosland, previously received a contract to remove and maintain Kelowna rabbits. They are collecting funds raised by Laura Leah Shaw.

Fur-Bearer Defenders (aka Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals)

- [email protected]
- furbearerdefenders.com
- Well-established wildlife protection-oriented non-profit assoc.

FBD has made up to $50,000 available to organizations or sanctuaries for the spays and neuters of the UVic rabbits.

Repeating the latest appeal here, I'll edit this version as more info comes in...

URGENT APPEAL TO SAVE 300 UVIC RABBITS!!!

The government and the University Campus in its infinite wisdom has granted permits to trap, neuter and transport 300 of the UVic feral rabbits to the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch, a large, sweet wildlife sanctuary in eastern Texas, from August 25[sup]th[/sup] to September 4[sup]th. [/sup]

But the campus administrators are not being flexible about the dates or anything else -- they won’t even allow the rabbits to stay in Canada while recovering from their spay/neuter surgeries, and they have other rules that will be almost impossible to meet without a LOT of help!

FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS has been donated by Fur-Bearer Defenders (aka Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals) to spay and neuter these rabbits, but these funds cannot be allocated elsewhere – they are for spays and neuters only!!

If we can’t transport the rabbits to Texas, the spay/neuter funds will be all for naught.

Additional funds were raised for a sanctuary close to their current home, but those funds are also not available for the Texas-bound rabbits. But it’s the Texas sanctuary who has agreed to take the majority of the rabbits and the only one current set up to do so immediately, so the Campus is insisting that they take 300

NOW with no time to make proper arrangements or raise funds for the transport, or they will be killed.

It’s heartbreaking for all the people who have worked so hard on saving these rabbits to have a huge blockade thrown in the way at the last minute!!

We Need…

- Temporary holding areas in WASHINGTON STATE!
-
o – we need barns and/or fenced areas (or fenceable areas, we may be able to rent fencing) to hold them for a few days until they recover from surgery and the truck can come and pick them up

- Cages! Approved cages or carriers (they will be returned!)
-
- Transport to and from the Vets (Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland)
-
- CASH DONATIONS TO COVER FUEL AND OTHER TRANSPORT COSTS, RENTAL FENCING AND OTHER EXPENSES!

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Date has changed to August 23. Only 2 trips to Texas second on Sep 2.
I have access to a backyard for holding but it may need temporary fencing. A second area may be available in Sidney. Its an unused tennis court.

I can probably lend my carrier for while if needed!
My big-ish purple one.
Aaryn has my smaller one for Harley.
Also I can probably do some transports to and from vets over here since I live so close to Martinez. Of course this is depending on what days, but I'll do what I can! :)

I have two dog carriers that can transport a family in each carrier.'

Hereis arabbits rescues in Washington:

http://www.rabbithaven.org

I've written an email praying that she can help us out. If she does decide to help, I will direct her to you, Sorelle.

I'm also willing to go all the way to Texas. But I don't have a vehicle ... :grumpy:

Latest posts

Back