UVIC rabbit rescue operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay i did a count and there are 4 buns that i have no idea where they're being held.
2 passed away during surgeries.
10 buns are with laura-leah's now.
sorelle has 9 plus mack, neil, and ellie. = 12
I have 4.
Aaryn has 1.
April has 10.

So I count 35 buns total.

Where are the other 4 buns?

One bunny had internal trauma, he was probably kicked by another rabbit. The other had pneumonia. :(

But it's important that its made clear that NONE of these rabbits are TRACS Texas rescues, they have been rescued by private citizens and TFTBB is just monitoring and assisting with advice and contacts to see how the spays/neuters and housing works.

I'm asking that NOTHING be said outside this very small group about the two we lost.

s

Sharpie can be used safely--I know several breeders mark babies' ears with sharpie markers until they're old enough to tell apart (or tattoo). If it doesn't come off when you want it to, try some ethanol or rubbing alcohol.

Horrible day. :(

The latest group of rabbits dropped at my house -- eight black, one gold -- had a bit of a jailbreak, they x-pen clips came loose. Only eight came back in. I haven't seen one of the other black ones for 36, maybe 48 hours now, and I've been trying to look everywhere, but I still have yard sale stuff and rabbit pens everywhere.

But I really think she's in the couch, there is tons of stuffing in there and a few holes underneath for rabbits to burrow into it.

And April/Aaryn did bring a pregnant one, don't know if its her.

I know she has to be a few feet away from me, my place isn't that big, and she's dying or dead at this stage.

No rabbit people have been around to help, the neighbour and roommate just shrug and talk about smelling her when she's dead.

:bawl:

I'm at work right now.. been here all day. And I've been fighting with a woman to surrender her cat to me. This cat came in for a euthanisa over a tail abcess. Oh the joys of working in a clinic!

He's in my care now, and a mere $150 vet bill (I had everything done for him! Vaccines, tattoo, dental work, and tail surgery).

But this cat needs a lot of attention right now, and I cannot keep him. I don't think I'll be able to come over and help search for the bun =[

Here's an email I sent to the volunteers...

Hi all,

Here are my notes… (Can we add Susan the carrier coordinator to this list?)

(And my volunteer list is pending).

SCHEDULE…

The pickup I think is going to be more like Thursday, Sept. 2[sup]nd[/sup], Laura Leah has been negotiating for more time and two smaller runs.

She can confirm the details, but if all goes well, and assuming the injunction is lifted on Monday morning, we will be getting 39 (?) Thursday and another 57 (?) after the long weekend.

I think the other group may be able to take more at this point so our initial load may be eased – for now.

VETS

I know Dr. Martinez in Vancouver is available and is licensed to do 34 rabbits, I’d like to see who else will be available in Victoria. (And I’d REALLY like a written sheet with the vets, their contact info and any notes about their status, thanks!)

I have one holding area for the Vancouver rabbits, but I haven’t seen it or set it up yet. I have to look at a second site. They are both rented by the Vet and are legal under the terms of the permit.

I will be sending a note to Nick Shaw asking him about a similar set up over there.

And most importantly, I’ll be asking Laura Leah to try and get the Ministry approve a request for the Vets to let clinic staff and volunteers to care for the rabbits for a few days post op in their homes.

I am concerned that while the holding areas are great for holding the per-op rabbits and the ones already recovered from surgery, they need to be monitored more closely than our current set-up allows.

A lot of these rabbits have health issues – the advance rabbits I’m dealing from the rescue girls have had hookworms, roundworms and some tapeworms and there have been bacterial infections, trauma and post op incision chewers.

CAGES / CARRIERS

I think we have a lot, we certainly have more than enough carriers to get them from UVic to the Vets, they’re more comfortable two to a carrier anyway.

We could use a count re: how many of the carriers can go to Texas.

The Vancouver count is at least a dozen on my end, but I’m not sure what happened with the Surrey (and Burnaby) SPCA’s, I asked them to contact Susan, the carrier coordinator.

While I remember, we’re going to need a LOT of towels for the bottoms, although a lot of hay will do in a pinch. (Towels will be needed for post-op recovery carriers).

PAPERWORK

I’m not dealing with this at all.

TRANSPORT

Nothing here could be confirmed at all without a date, but several people volunteered vehicles, including cars, an SUV and a pick-up (no canopy). With a firm date (and it being past the end of the month), I’m not anticipating problems, but we need to make a form that list vehicles much like Susan is coordinating cages.

I can rent a van (daily/weekly) or use a Co-op Car van (hourly).

SUPPLIES

Washington is hay country, no problem finding some bales, hopefully even for free, the feed stores will have pellets.

April has had at least 20 plastic bowls donated.

The dollar store here sells hay racks for $2, I think they’ll come in handy.

WE STILL NEED WATER BOTTLES!! I forgot about those. The Texas leg will need them. Expect most of them to leak, the nature of the beast, but bowls in transit are difficult, although the bowls that clip to the sides of the cages are best but hard to find.

ALSO: Can everybody with a green thumb start growing tubs or trays of grass? I think the wheat grass grows pretty quick, and any other fast grasses. We can’t cross the border with them, but can use them here. (I’ll try a Craigslist ad for the south of the boder stuff).

PixieStixxxx wrote:
My bunny count just went up to 19 :pullhair:

I think we're tied! I thought I had 20 but I really think there was a miscount, I only have seven black guys, not eight.

They are a ton of work, aren't they?

I REALLY have to spend time this week negotiating, corresponding, organizing, etc so we can try and get the babies spays/neuters covered under the Furbearers fun, get a better system for monitoring their post spay health, figure out how to pay all the non-speuter vet bills, have proper housing set up, etc., put out calls for more volunteers, caregivers, etc.

This is so important. :(

That's not even addressing the fundraising, sponsorship, Texas transport and sanctuary set up stuff. We're in serious danger of not having near enough funding and the whole thing not happening at all. :shock:

Really hope I can get help with the details like carrier coordination, local transport, rabbit care, etc. to allow me to get to the parts that only I can do.

:pleaseplease:

s

4cm wrote:
Also, why was surgery done on a rabbit with pneumonia?

It wasn't pneumonia per se, I think it was a type of lung infection, Dr. Martinez has sent tissue to the lab to see, it may have been a pasteurella abscess from what I gather.

PixieStixxxx wrote:
How recent was the internal trauma? Like at Uvic, or from two bunnies being placed two per carrier?

No, I think it was a bit of a kick when they were in the x-pen, probably a fluke. I was on the phone to her not long before he went to the vet and there was a scuffle and a squeal. They weren't fighting before that, but there were two unneutered males there.

It's going to be very hard to be monitoring stuff like that, ditto with post op recoveries, advance health issues, etc.

I'm sure I have two or more unneutered males here, I haven't seen any scuffles at all, and Mack and Neil have actually become quite bonded. (Ellie's the third wheel). So it's a very tough call.

But there isn't anywhere else for them to go. It will get worse I'm sure. Too many bunnies, no experienced caregivers, no monitors, very substandard holding facilities.

The Ministry is making this so difficult! The alternative ain't so hot either. :(

Meanwhile the transport budget is almost gone with the expenses spent and expected this coming week, and that's before they even start the transport.

Nobody has had any time to do more fundraising. Some people have apparently started questioning Dr. Martinez's care and he's worried any losses will reflect badly on his practice.

If he pulls out, it's dead in the water. Aside from the fact he's the only Vet who can pull off the volume, he's the only one approved by the Ministry. Approving another vet will take weeks or months and UVic won't wait, they will euthanize.

Martinez is also the only Vet who has worked to solve the holding area issue. Any vets speutering in Victoria do not have legal holding facilities.

This whole project is in SERIOUS jeopardy because of the funding and the Vet care/restrictions.

PLEASE don't spread this around to the group!! We don't need panic on top of everything else. :(

ALSO... REMEMBER THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL UVIC RABBITS! The permit holders, including Laura Leah and Alexia, can NEVER be associated with the rabbits trapped by April, Aaryn, etc, nor can they be associated with any Vet or other care of these rabbits, the Ministry can and will pull the permits.

They are incredibly sticky!!

DON'T TALK ABOUT THIS STUFF TO ANYBODY OUTSIDE THIS GROUP!!!

And DON'T discuss Martinez!!!

:(

Latest posts

Back