UVIC rabbit rescue operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although apparently there's some weird scheduling hiccup about it. Maybe Sorelle can enlighten us. =)

this can't go anywhere yet 'cause its not approved...

URGENT APPEAL TO SAVE 300 UVIC RABBITS!!!

The government and the University Campus in its infinite wisdom has granted permits to trap, neuter and transport 300 of the UVic feral rabbits to the Wild Rose Rescue Ranch, a large, sweet wildlife sanctuary in eastern Texas, from August 25th to September 4th.

But the campus administrators are not being flexible about the dates or anything else -- they won’t even allow the rabbits to stay in Canada while recovering from their spay/neuter surgeries, and they have other rules that will be almost impossible to meet without a LOT of help!

FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS has been donated by Fur-Bearer Defenders (aka Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals) to spay and neuter these rabbits, but these funds cannot be allocated elsewhere – they are for spays and neuters only!!

If we can’t transport the rabbits to Texas, the spay/neuter funds will be all for naught.

Additional funds were raised for a sanctuary close to their current home, but those funds are also not available for the Texas-bound rabbits. But it’s the Texas sanctuary who has agreed to take the majority of the rabbits and the only one current set up to do so immediately, so the Campus is insisting that they take 300 NOW with no time to make proper arrangements or raise funds for the transport, or they will be killed.

It’s heartbreaking for all the people who have worked so hard on saving these rabbits to have a huge blockade thrown in the way at the last minute!!

We Need…

- Temporary holding areas in WASHINGTON STATE!

– we need barns and/or fenced areas (or fenceable areas, we may be able to rent fencing) to hold them for a few days until they recover from surgery and the truck can come and pick them up

- Cages! Approved cages or carriers (they will be returned!)

- Transport to and from the Vets (Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland)

- CASH DONATIONS TO COVER FUEL AND OTHER TRANSPORT COSTS, RENTAL FENCING, FOOD AND OTHER EXPENSES!

Please donate to:

www.tracs-bc.ca/uvicbun.html

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Hey i can help on the texas end if there is anything I can do. Pick up some buns maybe?

There is also a man who transports animals every week maybe we can find his website and put out a plea for help. I will look it up this is all he does every week big trucks carriers everything I am talking 18 wheeler type transport.

Hey Kat, I'd love to know the cost of a transport, that would be very helpful, just need to know if its worth pursuing or if it's out of our league financially.

:thanks:

Evie's stomach is full of baby bunnies. I put my hand on her belly and I could feel little pulsating squirmy things. I'm concerned for her because when the vet looked at her teeth, he said she is easily five years old. Her pelvic bone could've fused by now.

If she doesn't have babies by next Saturday, I'm taking her to work for xrays.

Evie gave birth last night to eight GIANT babies. These babies look like they're 4-5 days old already! Except for the runt.. she looks like she's going to be a harlequin.

But out of the eight, there are: Two dutch black + white, two possible harlequins, two pinkies, and two blackies.

My bunny count just went up to 19 :pullhair:

:thud:

So much for my 'peristalsis' theory, LOL!!

And NO, I will not take a harlequin.

I will NOT take a harlequin!

I WILL NOT TAKE A HARLEQUIN!!!!!

sas :inlove:

One of the harlequins already have fur! She's an orangey/brown + black colored one.

And the runt harlquin got bigger! Now one of the dutchies is the smallest. Gotta monitor her to make sure she's getting enough milk. Evie is so calm and lets me handle all the babies. She didn't pull any fur out last night, so I had to pluck poor Labrador. This morning she pulled out her fur and handed it to me. LOL.

Ohh they are so cute! I would like to see them all go together, but who in their right mind would take 8 beautiful bunnies.

It's officially a farm over here now.

Hi. Can someone please update me on how the UVIC rabbit rescue operation is going so far? how many bunnies have been rescued currently?

Between the members of this thread, there are 41 rabbits!

4cm and I went last night. We had horrible communication with the members in Victoria. We arrived at 11:30 pm.. the person who we were to leave the buns with overnight (and catch some sleep!) somehow disappeared. Long story short, we slept freezing inside the car with 9 very warm buns!

But so far there are 41 rabbits pulled since we started!

PixieStixxxx wrote:
Between the members of this thread, there are 41 rabbits!

4cm and I went last night. We had horrible communication with the members in Victoria. We arrived at 11:30 pm.. the person who we were to leave the buns with overnight (and catch some sleep!) somehow disappeared. Long story short, we slept freezing inside the car with 9 very warm buns!

The Victoria members are a bit of a nightmare, sorry!

There was lots of communication on this end (I stayed behind to get some crucial work done, but ended up doing nothing to dealing with it all night anyway, I should have paid the $30 and gone) but just a few mental gaps, quirky personalities and I *think* some territorial egos to contend with.

Sure hope that stuff doesn't affect the UVic bunnies. :(

I've totally lost count of the bunnies, no idea who has what! And I can't very well write a description of the ones here, LOL! They're all black bunnies except one and they all look alike to me. Can I mark them with spray paint? ;)

Seriously, somebody did mention a way of naturally marking rabbits, something natural that wears off. I need to remember this!

s

There's Sidney, Evie, Harley, Mac, Neil, Ellie, and Darcy. Then Darcy's three babies, and Evie's eight babies.

The 14 that were pulled on Sunday. And the 9 that were pulled yesterday. That equals 41!

Man I really liked that tan guy we caught. He was eating pellets out of my hands when we slowly fenced the xpen around him.

Latest posts

Back