UVIC rabbit rescue operation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Human can get tape worms. so can other pets if one has it worm the whole house Revolution should work.

Oh welcome all new TF members.

Thanks for the welcome Mrs.PBJ!

So it looks like I'm for sure going to be getting revolution tomorrow to do my cats and Domino.

Oh by the way everyone!
I got all the supplies for the bake sale!
Cups(150), posters, table cloths, napkins, and trays for the goodies to sit on.
Now I'm not going to make the blackberry tarts anymore, but I am making, peanut butter cookies, rice krispie squares, blueberry muffins and bunny cupcakes.
Aaryn is getting the drink mix from costco. (Lemonade and/or Iced Tea)

Can everyone let me know what they plan on baking for the sale?

By the way, here are the posters I made.

40346_417555831990_505591990_5242701_7733440_n.jpg

We don't have to use to goal one, but I thought it would be fun for people to see.
A little bit of motivation you know!
Though I don't know what figures to put on the markers. (Sorelle? haha)
And I put the minimum donation at $1.00 so we don't get those "get rid of my pennies" people.
It's a fundraiser, not free sample friday at costco! :X

I was also thinking about having pictures of the rabbits we saved and if people want to do more to help, they can sponsor one for $25 which will cover food and litter costs for one month.
Then in return, they get a free bunny cupcake.
Anyone else like this idea?

Also, I want to clarify what this money is going to for the UVic rabbits.
Is it for the surgeries of ones that we have? Or is it for a sanctuary for them?

Thanks you guys! This is so exciting!

Tina :bunnybutt:

I vote that the funds be put towards the massive vet bill we seem to be amassing daily with these UVic rabbits.

We're going to need to pay for eight speuters (counting Star) along with an additional three for Darcy's babies not to mention care costs (e.g. veggies) and any additional medical attention they may need (Neil!!).

Speuters tally up to $550 alone - not counting Evie's on-again-off-again pregnancy. With additional surgeries and deworming expenses, vet check-ups and x-rays, I'd probably double that figure ($550 x 2 = $1100) and that would still be on the low side.

This, of course, doesn't include transportation costs which are coming directly from our pocket.

... Guys, please don't get fined next time we go. D:

Yeah, people not wanting to hand over cash to a non-non-profit can give the money directly to Dr. Martinez.

PS: I've gotten donations of a half bag (probably 15lbs) of cheap Coop (or ProForm, forget which) pellets and a bag of Oxbow, I don't mind sharing with the other UVic bunnies.

I still have to ask my mom if she can contribute (she's a professional baker). But when she's at home, baking is the LAST thing she wants to do. So maybe I can see if she'll bring donations from work.

When is the bake sale =P

So yesterday was Sidney's first day of being wormie free. His droppings used to be tiny, pale, and rock hard the second they came out of his little butt. But now they are huge, brown, and soft haha.

Evie kept escaping yesterday, and she would always come onto my bed and eat Sidney's yummy alfalfa pellets. Poor little Sidney would run under the covers with me. He honestly thinks he's a little baby!

Oh and in regards to Harley's deworming - I gave Aaryn revolution for her household. We're still waiting for Harley to be ok'd for deworming, but I have enough fenbendazole for Evie and Harley.

Sorelle, April recommends that you continue with Neil's surgery on Friday and then Revolution everybody. Once that's done, you can deworm everyone.

You'll also need to scrub and disinfect all the surfaces that the bunnies have pooped on.

In addition, if we are taking back more rabbits and they have worms, all the rabbits will be reinfected with worms.

If you deworm everyone now, chances are that they worms may return if you bring in more Uvic rabbits. And you should revolution everyone first and then deworm because revolution will prevent future worms.

So I'd have the little guy's amputation first, revolution everyone, and then deworm. Revolution will also spread onto hard surface and protect.

Aaryn: What was the blog again? My friends wanted to see lol.

And I cannot tell if my dad knows about Evie or not. He makes remarks about a new rabbit. And says "You know April, this isn't a sanctuary. No more rabbits". And when my mom said "You know that other rabbit.. she keeps escaping and bothering Sidney" And then my dad says "WHAT OTHER RABBIT"

So I cannot tell =P

OH! Now Sidney's got sores on either side of his mouth. Any ideas? I personally think it's from all the syringes that go in his mouth everyday but I don't know :?

It's always something with Sidney :panic:

And I took Sidney shopping the other day. He stuck his head out of the bag like one of those mini dogs. My dad said I have a mental disorder LOL.

Edit: I was being a bad bunny mommy. It turns out that because all Sidney would drink for a week was apple and orange juice, the acidity caused sores on the corners of his mouth.

:foreheadsmack:

Yay Christina! Goals are great.

So... bake sale and yard sale? Together?

I think we need more volunteers! (And not sure that I can bake anything, I'm jammed). (Heh!)

I've lost a whole day today thanks to Telus, I'm really behind.

April, bunnies eating nothing but fresh vegetation have small, dark poops, they also don't drink much, I wonder if that was at least part of Sidney's issue? If he's on hay now, he should have fluffier poops and should be drinking -- although he may have been suckering you to get more of the flavoured stuff. ;)

I'd like to see Neil dewormed first so he can get a little more meat on his bones before surgery, actually. He's really thin, I'm afraid he may also be anemic. The surgery isn't urgent, it's already a fairly old injury and it will be amputated.

I do think the girl needs to be spayed sooner than later though. I don't think the boys are old enough, but I'm not sure. It's really a problem with Martinez being so far away and no transport, really hard to get them in for an assessment and deworming.

Sonya's clinic if out of Droncit, not sure about the Panacur and I've only got three packets of Revolution for 11 rabbits (and two different dosage instructions) -- although still not sure the UVic guys will need that in addition to the Droncit and Panacur?

Martinez might be able to drop by and do the works "in a couple of days" which probably puts it the day of the hay run. :sigh: And it's going to cost a lot, although its a four hour minimum truck/car rental to take them all out there to do it there, so that's $40. That would normally be the best option, but I was really hoping to have all this dealt with before the yard sale so they could safely and happily be outside in the pens. Having adoptable UVic bunnies there would be a great incentive for donations. Really hate the thought of letting the kids into the pens of any rabbit if there's a potential worm issue, although I think it's pretty remote. But still...

If there's any way we can get my crew done tomorrow and have them good for the weekend, I really think that's important. :( Suggestions welcome.

There's probably poop from one end of this house to the other, tracked on our shoes and slippers. Disinfecting isn't going to be easy, but I'll be on it, thanks for the reminder.

s :yuck:

Alrighty, any absentee bunnies at the yard sale will need to have their individual mug shots taken so that people can see pictures of the bunnies and hopefully feel like donating/sponsoring.

Oh, and also a little blurb on their personalities.

We need individual GOOD photos of:
- Neil
- Mack
- Ellie
- Evie
- Sidney

That's okay if you don't have time to bake Sorelle.
I think I have it covered if Aaryn and April can both bring something.
Along with my neighbor who has kindly offered to bake some cookies for us.
I have all Friday day to bake, so I might get on a roll and bake some more cookies.
ALSO! I'm going to ask my friend Carolyn if she wants to help bake some vegan goodies and/or help out for the day.

With the blurb about the buns, maybe write something about where you found them and the condition they were/are in.
But please try to keep it short, about 5 sentences.

ei. Darcy was pregnant when she was rescued, though she is still very young. She was very timid at first, but soon grew out of her shell. She’s a little piggy when it comes to dinner time and has no problem being petted. In fact, she runs right up to you! Her three babies were born August 2, 2010.

Please post your mug shots of the buns on here so I can make the sponsor board :)

Thank everyone!

Tina :headflick:

Still think we need the adoptable buns in the pens, that's always been the biggest draw. I'm trying to get out there today, but not sure its going to happen.

s

I have droncit here + strongit and fenbendazole. And ivermectin.

I bought the dog (purple) revolution. Puppy/kitten revolution has 15 mg of selamectin - the active ingrediant against mites, worms, ticks, etc. While the purple one was 30mg. So I use one tube for 5 rabbits. Instead of one pink tube for 2 - 3 rabbits.

I think Sidney already has the perfect mug shot! That one taken at the ferry terminal - which is now my wallpaper on my cell phone!

Sidney:
Sidney was the first lucky rabbit to be rescued at Uvic.
A trip to the vet showed Sidney's right leg had a mass infection fused into his bone and an abcess on his ankle. This caused fusion of his joints and his hip to stick out. While being treated now, Sidney's leg may need to be amputated. But this doesn't bother him at all! Sidney is extremely loving and happiest of the bunch!

Evie:

Evie is a pretty lady with a big personality. She loves to eat out of your hand and jump on your bed to cuddle next to you.

I don't Evie too well yet.. all she does is escapes and attempts to play with Sidney. And she does nothing but EAT!

Ooopps forgot to mention!

I got a donation of plastic bowls for the yard sale. It's really for cats and dogs. And it says "Milbemax" on it. (Company that specializes in pills for worms in dogs and cats).

And my mom made a cake for the bake sale haha.
Hopefully I can come by soon and drop it off!

Ack! Got home and so burnt from the hay and vet run, board issues, UVic stuff etc etc etc, forgot to give the guys the dewormer, half the reason for having to head to Dr. Martinez's in the first place.

And after all that, I'm still stuck with the math, LOL! (I have a math allergy).

Sooo... if it's .20 per kg and Neil is 1.36 and Mack is 1.63. Neil gets .27 and Mack .32.

I think I will try it daily for three days, and then if I have enough, one more dose in seven days.

That's a compromise! (So many variations!)

s

Upjohn himself gave a different dose: 20 mg/kilogram over 7 days. He explained that some worms picked up by these feral bunnies need more than 3-5 days of treatment as they are persistent. And he explained with a type of worm that infects the brain.

Just returned from Sidney's vet check! And no need for amputation!!!

Dr. Upjohn was surprised by how Sidney was walking with both legs today! He took him into his office and Sidney walked on his carpet. Also, the abcess on his ankle shrank by more than half its size. So the penecillian/zithromax combo was a true miracle. For the last two weeks, both Dr. Upjohn and I thought that amputation was the most likely route.. but Sidney's recovery has come a long way in the three weeks I've had him!

Today we started Sidney's cold laser therapy. The lights from the laser penetrate deep into the skin and kills all the dead and injured cells -such as his bone cells that were injured and gave rise to new bone cells that fused his joints together. All while stimulating growth of new healthy cells during mitosis. Cold laser therapy speeds up the healing process and recovery. I think he only needs three weeks of treatment...but I have to come several times a week. Dr. Upjohn also gave me a great deal! Normally each session is $150, but he offered to do it for $50.

I'm very hopeful that Sidney is going to recovery amazingly :biggrin:

Edit: Sorelle.. why not try cold laser therapy for Neil after his leg amputation?

Yay Sidney!! I hope Neil is okay with his amputation, think he'll be ready early next week, he's still really bony, but had his first worming dose yesterday. I keep reading about worms potentially causing anemia which can be a problem in surgery. (There is discussion as to whether its the fenbenzadole causing the anemia, but I think its the worms).

Yeah, the confusion re: dosing fenbenzadole/panacur seems to be the EC treatment protocol, different from the intestinal worms. Worms don't need long term like EC.

I'm going to need more from Dr. Martinez, just waiting for Ellie's spay (hasn't been done yet) and the poop results.

I hope Christina can bring her back home tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back