UTI/sludge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I am not a breeder nor have I ever bred rabbits. I have no desire, rescue is what I am passionate about. That doesn't mean I don't know about diet requirements. To repeat, yes I have witnessed rabbits having problems when fed too many pellets. Yes, they are high quality. My point is, you are saying you see bunnies have problems with too much veggies (I have yet to see it myself when the right veggies are fed) and I'm saying I've seen the same with too many pellets (high quality or not). Either one can cause problems for individual bunnies as some have different thresholds of what they can handle.

6 years old is not that old. I've told this before, a friend that volunteers with the house rabbit society feeds daily veggies per what HRS recommends. She has a 14 year old bunny currently and two that have lived up to 12. They are indoor. When inside and properly cared for (also vet care when needed) the expected lifespan is 9 - 12 years. Of course that is if the bunny doesn't have any serious genetic problems.

Happi Bun wrote:
No, I am not a breeder nor have I ever bred rabbits. I have no desire, rescue is what I am passionate about. That doesn't mean I don't know about diet requirements. To repeat, yes I have witnessed rabbits having problems when fed too many pellets. Yes, they are high quality. My point is, you are saying you see bunnies have problems with too much veggies (I have yet to see it myself when the right veggies are fed) and I'm saying I've seen the same with too many pellets (high quality or not). Either one can cause problems for individual bunnies as some have different thresholds of what they can handle.

6 years old is not that old. I've told this before, a friend that volunteers with the house rabbit society feeds daily veggies per what HRS recommends. She has a 14 year old bunny currently and two that have lived up to 12. They are indoor. When inside and properly cared for (also vet care when needed) the expected lifespan is 9 - 12 years. Of course that is if the bunny doesn't have any serious genetic problems.

I know six years is not old. ;) I have had rabbits live past that into old age. No problems at all.

Sorry to say this, but, if you don't have experience with breeding rabbits, then you don't have much experience with their nutritional requirements. And you shouldn't be making generilazations and assumptions about it without knowing about them other then what has been read on the net(or off the back of a pet food bag). Most of what you read that breeding rabbits requiring this and that, and requiring different nutrition then pet rabbitsfrom hrs related websites is false. My point is the nutritional needs of a pet and a breeding rabbit are exactly the same. They require the same amount of protein and fiber. Yes I do have experience with both. Hopefully that won't be read into as arguing or 'mean.' Thats about the best way I know how to word without coming coming across as too harsh.

The only time pellets will cause obesity problems is when the rabbit is over fed. I have seen it happen too with bunnies that are self fed. The biggest mistake owners make is self feeding them when they are young. The hrs says what self feed for the first several months. Big no no. That is whatleads to obesity problems when the rabbit is older. Sometimesit can stem from being fed too many greens as well, causing the rabbit to become fat and flabby. An increase of pellets, without overfeeding them, and cutting back everything else can also correct that.

Latest posts

Back