Urine smell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shu

Reaction score

I've been reading that most people seem to clean out there litter boxes twice a week and they have no smell problems, but I've been having to change Quil's litter twice a day to keep smells away. Can I get any tips to keep it smelling fresh longer?

The stuff I'm using is just called "Rabit Litter" and it was pretty cheap, so I'll grab a bag of that stuff when I get the chance. But he is an unentered male, so I guess that can be a big factor.

His urine has an orange/red tint some times, does that mean anything? Are their foods that may also fight the ammonia smell?

orange and red are normal colors for rabbit urine... diet can play a role, as can their emotional state.

I had that rabbit litter stuff to begin with... godawful odor control (plus the pellets themselves stink even before they're used in my opinion).

I think different people have different tolerance for rabbit pee. I clean out my twos pee twice a day. I'm a self confessed neat freak and I can smell even the tiniest bit of pee.

I use wood stove pellets for their litter. You can get 40 lb bags for $5. I've tried a couple different litters and for the price I think it controls the odor very well. I also agree to spay/neuter as it helps with the intensity of the smell.

I also agree that wood pellets are the best litter for controlling the smell. I tried a bunch of different litters before that and the wood pellets are the best and cheapest.

Also getting your rabbit fixed will help big time.

Ours have a litter an in their hutch that I clean once a day. We use pet's Pick kiln dried pine from WalMart. Seems to keep the odor in check and our bunnies range from 3.5 to 19.2 pounds--all neutered too.

Latest posts

Back