Urine sludge and Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclairemom

Reaction score
my bunny Pixie is very sick she stopped eating and drinking Tuesday. Yesterday she was passing blood. she went to vet yesterday and has bladder sludge the irrigated her bladder, gave her sub q fluids and pain medicine. I have been trying to force feed her food and water but she holds the food behind her teeth and won't swallow. She is on pain killer but still in pain. Any sugestions would be helpful

Your rabbit may need increased pain relief, or even a stronger one such as buprenorphine if your bun is only on metacam at this point. If your bun isn't on an antibiotic as well, she probably needs to be in case there is a secondary infection in the bladder. She may also need to be given more fluids, and it's also possible there may be more sludge that is still in the bladder, so another vet visit may be needed. I would phone your vet up and see if they suggest you come back in.

Here's some info on bladder sludge and treatment.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

With feeding, have you tried just offering it to her in a dish to see if she may eat it on her own? Or try just syringing a small amount in at a time and see if she will chew and swallow after you pull the syringe back out of her mouth. Maybe adding a bit of applesauce or mushed up banana to it might help entice her, just a little though, not too much(though I don't normally recommend feeding sugary foods, it's important that she eats). Or try feeding a bit of her leafy greens to see if she will eat those on her own. If you have a food processor you can even blend her usual greens up and syringe those to her if she won't eat them on her own. The extra moisture from them will be good for her too. But if you can't get her to eat at home she may need to be admitted.

She is on metacam and baytril lucky she will take those. I tried putting some of the cilantro springmix and blueberry slurry on a dish and no interest. I was able to get he to swallow a small amount by trying to open her mouth she would get mad and swallow or push it out. I've tried variety of baby food as well :(

Then I think you need ti discuss it with your vet today. If a rabbit won't swallow, you can't do much to force them to. Best to ask the vet about more pain control. If you get the pain under control, that will help you to get your rabbit to eat better than anything else.

One thing to consider is that baytril can sometimes cause nausea, which would cause a rabbit to not want to eat. If this is the case, maybe your vet could switch the abx to something like smz tmp.

Vet was off today, she called to check on Pixie I wasn't home she said she would call back. I got some pumpkin and depite her trying to hold it in her mouth I think I got some down. I rubbed her belly after and herd some tummy gurgles.
She had hardly moved for two days and this evening I helped her do a couple laps around the room so that's one positive thing.

Last night she still wouldn't swallow food but water and meds seem to be getting down. She still was holding food in her mouth an hour after last attempt when I gave her meds. now I have buprenorphine injections so she will feel well enough to eat or not suffering if she doesn't. I'm thinking it will be the latter because she has pretty much given up :(

Latest posts

Back