Urine Scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
I just discovered this on Ben's back foot as I was finding blood on the floor for a couple of days and couldn't find where it was coming from. Ben doesn't live in a cage and has total access to 2 rooms of my house so he isn't on any wire.

I've been having a lot of problems with him lately and am getting worried and discouraged. His poops are all strung together with hair so I've been feeding him lots of hay and papaya but it's making me a nervous wreck. He also has been peeing on his underside and had a bad case of urine burn underneath so I am giving him butt baths every few days and putting diaper rash cream on the raw spot which is helping him alot. But now this thing with the foot which I can't understand at all as there is nothing in the room to get hurt on. It's a perfectly round spot and totally raw looking. Any ideas? I've got to leave for work ina little while so I'll check back on the forum tonight for any advice. Thanks.

DSC00086.jpg

OMG. Take a flashlight and look inside the wound to make sure that there isn't a larva embedded in there.

It isn't that kind of wound, its kind of hard toexplain but it's a perfectly round spot that looks like the skin hasbeen removed. He also doesn't go outside at all and therehaven't been any flies in the house. He's acting fine,eating, etc., and doesn't act like he's in any pain at all.But it really concerns me as I can't come up with any scenario for thedamage that makes any sense.

I'd get it cleaned up and put a real thin layerof neosporin on it. Might not even hurt to have it checked bya vet....when Corky had his wound from the outside it did not lookinfected, but he was FILLED with infection and it got verynasty. They may want to give you some antibiotics to be onthe safe side.

Is he bothering the wound? If so, you may even need to get one of thecollars so he can't...(I think they are called e-collars? I call emlampshades)....cuz if he keeps messin with it, it'll never get healedup!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

He's not bothering with it at all, he acts likeit isn't even there. But its bleeding a lot and I have putneosporin on it already, and will continue to do so. I justhope it heals up without infection.

You might want to wrap it or do something tokeep the dirt out. I, too, would be very concerned aboutinfection. It looks like he stepped on somethingand looks rather deep. Poor little guy.

-Carolyn

I thought about covering it as well, but I knowwe were gonna do that with Corky, but if if you don't use the collar,most likely it'll get ripped off....so you may need to go thatroute.

Please also be warned, it may not look infected, but if it gets thatway, he can go downhill VERY quickly....Corky did in a matter ofhours...

Good luck!!!! Poor lil guy... :(

Get it checked out by a vet. Put him/her on Baytril for infection.

I just looked at ben and discovered that thesame spot is also on his other back foot. The other foot isn't bleedingand looks kind of healed over but it's there. He's a big guyand is it possible that his weight is causing these sores?There is really nothing in the room for him to get hurt by.There is also no depth to the wound, it is some kind of surface sore.

DSC04230.jpg

He needs to be taken to the vet. Afungal or bacterial infection may have invaded his foot (sorehocks). Staph is also a common cause of open, bleedinghocks. Botfly larvae are generally not on the bottoms of thefeet -- this is more likely an infection that has broken open.

The urine scald could indicate bladder or kidney problems (try a littlebaby desitin on his bum and foot until you get him to thevet-- won't hurt him if he licks that little bitoff). If the infection has invaded tissues in the foot orleg, he'll need to be put on antibiotics (penn G is generally used).

I'd start him on a little Nutri Cal because it's so easily metabolized.

The strung-together poops indicate that he's molting and this may beputting his system under some stress, especially with recent weatherchanges.

Pam

Fridays better than noday ,havehim check for kidney stones or bladder infectionalso if he has similar spot on hisbutt it may all be connected , looks like an out ofcontrol hock sore , thats gon intodeeper rooted infection.

I agree with Gypsy -- this isn't an immediateconcern (unless you see a sudden deterioration of his condition as withCorky) -- the Friday appointment will be fine.

If he's never been checked for parasites, also have a fecal float done.

Pam

Sorry guys, not trying to strike panic inanyone...but I went to h#ll and back with him and infections scare melike nothing else in my babies!!!!

I'm glad Zoe is getting him to a vet, but PLEASE keep a very close eyeon him til then...Corky's first symptom was he seemed almost depressed!!

You and Ben are in my thoughts...

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Sorry guys, not trying to strike panic in anyone...but Iwent to h#ll and back with him and infections scare me like nothingelse in my babies!!!!

I'm glad Zoe is getting him to a vet, but PLEASE keep a very close eyeon him til then...Corky's first symptom was he seemed almost depressed!!

You and Ben are in my thoughts...

Most certainly, you have good cause for concern as they can go downhill very quickly.

Pam

Poor Ben! :tears2:

I'll be praying for and thinking about him. Please keep us posted and give him a kiss from me.

-Carolyn

my eyes are bad isBena Flemish or a Palomino ? which everhe is a pretty rabbit.

Latest posts

Back