Urine Scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sore on her back is gone now. Looks like doc's advice worked for draining it.

The urine scald is much worse. She has piece of her skin falling off showing her flesh. She also has bed sores now. I feel like I am keeping up with it as much as I can. I slather her in desitin and now neosporin too. I Constantly wipe her off if she does pee on herself. The vet was extremely displeased and now she's back on antibiotics so now I have her stomach to worry about again.

I'm exhausted. I don't know what more I can do.

this is a group for disabled rabbits..they have all kinds of help and advice
disabledrabbits

dont get discouraged too much i know its alot of work but i think this group will help u make it easier for both of you:)

So sorry it isn't going well. Did any of the techniques for keeping her skin dry help? Like sanitary pads , etc?

We had to shave her entire rear section and now have to completely coat it in desitin 2 times a day. It seems to be working but I'm worried about it. I don't think it's the greatest solution. I just wish she would get to where she can use the litter box again but now without fur I fear I'll be stuck doing this for a long time. It's nearly impossible to really clean off the old desitin, so it gets "gunky" and I'm thinking that may irritate her too.

Did u check out the group that i posted??.they are full of handy advice...i think they said they use something else besides desitin that works better....might wanna check it out:)

Yes I did flash but the group owner hasn't accepted my application yet. I'll ask as soon as they accept me.

Another member has a lot of experience with disabled bunnies. Her name is TreasuredFriend. You might want to search for posts she's made about keeping disabled bunnies clean, dry, and happy. She's very busy with rescue so she might not have time to respond to a PM.

Thanks tonyshuman for keeping the disabled girls & rescue time in mind.

Our urine scald experience/s: Tamm came down with serious urine burn in the last week; urinary seepage from an incontinence concern and bladder expressions. We saw a difference in 3-4 days by applying SSD cream. See posting from Dec-13 re: SSD cream. She was at the vet today, for a shave to keep the area dry, and our vet said SSD is amazing cream. My hubby and I agree. Her bare skin is improved in just days, and her attitude is more cheerful. We will keep up with SSD applications. ** Keep the area as dry as you can. **
We heard again today how caustic, acidic, rabbit urine is.
I've heard of applying gold bond powder, before, yet we don't do that with Tamm or Karla.

jwark, a possiblity perhaps for your girl??
- Silver sulfadiazine cream.
The light cover of cream soaks into her skin and the rawness improves in days. Has for Tamm.

My hubby will sit with Tamm in a glider chair while the cream is soaking ;-)

Vet has put Tamm (9 lbs) on .6 metacam dosing, and enroflaxing (Baytril) for antibiotic concern due to minor pustules on the bare & pinkened pelvic area. It was RED on Dec-23. We're trying a different technique in positioning Tamm's body for bladder pee-outs in the sink.

We don't get the gunky reaction as you do, jwark, with desitin. ... hope this helps,

I'll check it out. Just got back from the vet again today. She has lost a total of 3 lbs and now just today she has stopped moving around almost completely and she has started grunting really loudly (this is a first.)

Her skin is healed up now at least. I don't understand why she's losing so much weight so fast. She has a very big appetite. And the sudden loss of energy has me worried again. I guess I'll have to take her back to the vet AGAIN. My god, I don't have unlimited resources. I've spent thousands in a month at the vet already.

Sorry to vent so much I'm just so frustrated right now. I wish new complications would just stop happening.

Latest posts

Back