Urine Scald/Cecotropes in Disabled Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
Hootie had surgery to have his hind leg removed after a break too far up to repair about three months ago. He's been doing really well adjusting, and even navigating on tile floors!
However, he's having some trouble cleaning everything down there. I'm not sure why it's just starting now, but within the last week he's getting poop all over the house. Not the normal stray poos you can sweep up. Like mooshy poops he must have laid in, then dragged around, forcing me to mop every day. Seems like he might not be able to always get his cecotropes, which is more worrisome than anything.
Anyway, I gave him a nice butt bath today, got everything nice and clean, blow dried everything. Noticed the possibility of slight urine scaled near his testicles (unneutered). Is there anything I can apply to keep it from getting worse? I have some Aquaphor, and I know you can use it for dogs for pretty much the same stuff as humans, dry skin, hot spots, etc, but not sure if it's okay to put on the bun.
I plan on making a nice, natural, soothing mixture to wipe him down with daily by the end of this week, but need to do some more research on what exactly I want to put in there, if you have anything in mind let me know!
I'm concerned he's not eating his cecotropes and just smooshing them and painting my floors with them :D
I always look in his favourite spots to see if I can find them sitting around so I can put them in front of him, but never find any. How would I know if he's not getting them?

Are the cecotropes coming out fully formed in blackberry clusters, or are they coming out pasty looking at all? If they are coming out pasty or sticky at all, that could account for them not getting eaten, and this is often due to dietary issues(too many starches/carbs, not enough fiber), but can also be related to health issues.

If you haven't already seen this site for disabled rabbits, it contains a lot of helpful info, including what to use to protect the skin against urine scald.
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/

Back