Urine Scald and Poopy Bum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone have experience with Urine Scald? I was told that Miley had it while at the Humane's Society. And that it usually goes away once the problem like the Urinary Tract Infection or Stump Pyometria clears up. What should I look for as in what does it look like? How do I clean it up so it doesn't hurt her? How do I hold her while I am bathing her if I do have to bath her?

Thanks,

Shannon

I thought we had articles on urine scald in the health references butI think it is incuded in these links.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

I treated Gabriel (who died from renal failure ) for urine scald. Each Am I would wash just his buttand genitals with baby soap in the bathroom sink. he was weak so he didn't have much resistance to it. i would rinse him thoroughly under the faucet making sure the water wasn't too hot. Sometimes he would let me use a blow dryer on him onlow but often he would totally resist that. I would sit with him and attempt to towel dry him. then I would apply neosporin and then desitin to the area. It took weeks but it did clear up.

if he is seeing a vet the vet will have his own protocol

This is a great article on how to clean rabbits:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

The dry bath actually works really well.

Here's more info on urinary problems, as you might find help in caring for her skin here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12052&forum_id=10

I think you can use diaper rash creamto help prevent urine scald though I'm not 100% positive. I'd check with a vet for that. But the urine scald should improve a lot now that the infection has been treated. The poopy butt is more often a problem of diet. Give her some time with what you are feeding her now (I'm assuming quality pellets and hay?) and ask again if the problem continues. Some buns need less protein or may have a problem like a coccidea infection.

I just looked at the dry bath article and baby soap is a "NO" i didn't know that and it didn't seem to hurt Gabriel but don't use it .
desitin is listed as OK in a kathy Smith book but best to follow your vet's instructions

Okay guys, I did not want to lift her as she might be nervous and may not trust us. So I carried her over to the table in her litter box. I made sure to cover her so that she could not jump out. I carefully picked her up as bast as I knew how and craddled her on her back. What I saw was not good. It looked like there was blood where her genitals are. And her butt was very poopy. I made an emergency vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I am going to ask the vet how to hold her properly, how to flip her and how to clean her butt. Please everyone pray for my poor little bunny. I am so worried about her.

Shannon

When Ditto ( my splay legged foster) had an episode of urine scald, our vet prescribed Neo-Predef. It's a fine powder that has antibiotic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory elements. It worked incredibly fast and turned skin that was raw and red to healthy in 2 days.

I did have to give a "butt bath" first.

I had to give her a wet bath initially- not fun. Drying a bunny takes a long time and wet fur mats very easily. Definitely use only as a last resort.

The link Naturestee provided outlines the method I tried.

Since then, I've given her periodic dry baths. I found these much easier to do.

Latest posts

Back