Urine colour change suddenly—

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
I’ve had my bun for a 4ish years. Within the last month her urine colour has gone from a yellow to a dark orange.
She’s still eating, drinking and being as active as she normally is.
The only thing I can think of is dehydration, so I got her a bigger water dish.
She’s not peeing anywhere out of the ordinary and she’s not hunching or straining when she urinates as far as I can tell.
Anyone have a random change in urine colour for no reason?

Any changes in her diet? Usually orangish urine will have to do with plant pigments from some foods, that are excreted in the urine.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
That was my first idea after some googling. But she nothing has really changed. I did get some new mix of
Any changes in her diet? Usually orangish urine will have to do with plant pigments from some foods, that are excreted in the urine.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

I saw this as well, and she did have a new mix of dried herbs/flowers & such. It seems like such a drastic change for a treat I give only once a week. But then I think of my “system” when I eat blue tortilla chips and what it does to my BMs... 😭 I’ve recently cut these out to see what happens. It didn’t seem to affect my other bun, so that’s why I’m paying close attention.
This girl also has a new roommate as well the last three months (they’re getting along great!) So maybe the combo of some stress, sharing water (I got a larger bowl & added another) and the new treats is causing it. Just afraid it might be a UTI. Never dealt with that issue before so I’m on edge~

I have never had a female bun before so I am not as familiar with that area of expertise, but I have experienced my fair share of urine scares where they appeared abnormal out of no where or discolored, but majority of the time in my experience it was a slight diet change or even change in environment that caused it. Rabbits have very sensitive systems so even a small change can make a big affect on the appearance, but it doesn't always mean an urgent health problem, sometimes it is just an adjustment sign. I would keep an eye on the water and food intake, do not add any new foods to the diet, and pay attention to her energy level and the way she is relaxing (e.g lethargic, reduced activity levels, etc.) and if any of these areas appear abnormal a vet trip can't hurt to be safe.

I have never had a female bun before so I am not as familiar with that area of expertise, but I have experienced my fair share of urine scares where they appeared abnormal out of no where or discolored, but majority of the time in my experience it was a slight diet change or even change in environment that caused it. Rabbits have very sensitive systems so even a small change can make a big affect on the appearance, but it doesn't always mean an urgent health problem, sometimes it is just an adjustment sign. I would keep an eye on the water and food intake, do not add any new foods to the diet, and pay attention to her energy level and the way she is relaxing (e.g lethargic, reduced activity levels, etc.) and if any of these areas appear abnormal a vet trip can't hurt to be safe.
Her appetite hasn’t changed, which is what is confusing me. I have another bun that is very sensitive to digestive issues (dealt with bouts of stasis since I adopted her) & this doesn’t seem like that’s it.
She’s still chilling out in her normal ways. I’m going to stop the new herbs completely to cut that factor.
Starting to think it’s the new environment with the new addition, because everything else seems normal.

Her appetite hasn’t changed, which is what is confusing me. I have another bun that is very sensitive to digestive issues (dealt with bouts of stasis since I adopted her) & this doesn’t seem like that’s it.
She’s still chilling out in her normal ways. I’m going to stop the new herbs completely to cut that factor.
Starting to think it’s the new environment with the new addition, because everything else seems normal.

That is a good first step, I would say with urine related concerns, the main focus is definitely monitoring the water level and peeing habits. In terms of a UTI, a bunny will be leaky a bit rather than just peeing in a random area. If you see urine trails that is a good sign of a UTI, but if she is peeing in regular designations and behaving normally, there is a good chance that it is change related and will balance out over time. All you can do is keep an eye on her behavior and if anything appears alarming take a trip to the vet. My bun has gotten into things which affected his poops and urine, but generally it will balance out within a couple of days especially if all other behaviors are normal.

That is a good first step, I would say with urine related concerns, the main focus is definitely monitoring the water level and peeing habits. In terms of a UTI, a bunny will be leaky a bit rather than just peeing in a random area. If you see urine trails that is a good sign of a UTI, but if she is peeing in regular designations and behaving normally, there is a good chance that it is change related and will balance out over time. All you can do is keep an eye on her behavior and if anything appears alarming take a trip to the vet. My bun has gotten into things which affected his poops and urine, but generally it will balance out within a couple of days especially if all other behaviors are normal.
She’s definitely not leaking or having issues when deciding to go. And only going in her normal area’s and slightly more “marking” places, which I expected with the new addition. Starting to think she was marking a lot, causing dehydration.
This last half hour I’ve seen her mark areas with verrrry clear pee after adding two extra water bowls this morning. Finger crossed!

She’s definitely not leaking or having issues when deciding to go. And only going in her normal area’s and slightly more “marking” places, which I expected with the new addition. Starting to think she was marking a lot, causing dehydration.
This last half hour I’ve seen her mark areas with verrrry clear pee after adding two extra water bowls this morning. Finger crossed!

Yes I have had a lot of experiences particularly with Dr. Cheese with marking problems despite being neutered. As long as you clean the area with a proper pet friendly spray they usually catch on pretty quick! I always panic to this day when he has an accident, but it has always been related to territorial problems with him.

Back