Urine Color

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warminwisco

Reaction score
I found one old post on pee color alluding to it being normal with healthy acting rabbits. It was felt if the urine changed thickness a vet might be in order. So again is rusty orange urine normal common? It prolly happens 1/4th of the time. This time I can only associate it maybe with thin dried apple slices given more often than usual but not too much.

Have 2 bunny brothers and two is very nice, but remember 2 rabbits is like the work needed for 3. They chase get into mischief and kind of conspire against you and reek havoc and romp all over, LOL.

Well, I'd suggest no treats for a week and monitor them. See if it happens, then, if not give only the apple and see if it changes the urine. If you get the dark urine with no treats, be sure your watering system is working properly and that the rabbit is drinking enough. If that's good, then ask a vet.

Dark urine CAN be a symptom of an infection but, can also be from diet or form not getting enough water (some bottles do not work very well.)

Good advice. I also maybe linked it to those corn treats that are yellow, red, green solid dark colors a while ago ut the pee seems pretty conistent sporadic.. The processed stuff from walmart. I stopped and I think it went away but I just overlook it as they seem to be symptom free. CAn the dye in food or colors give pee a color, or minerals , acids etc. Thanks again stop today check back.

Yes, and even some foods do it. Asparagus for one is terrible for creating dark, smelly urine. Harmless but alarming if you don't know that. Sulfur, even in the water will make urine darker and orange tinted as well. And tank you for reminding me of that.

An easy way to see if your water has sulfur is to fill a cup with ice cubes, pour hot but not quite boiling water over the ice and sniff the steam. If there is a faint rotten egg smell to it, you have sulfur and, that is the likely culprit. Filter the water or, use bottled water if that's the problem.

Sulfur from treats or foods can cause it as well and, yes those artificial dyes in some treats too but not as bad as sulfur (which by the way isn't bad, it is used to treat and prevent bladder infections in many species, including humans.)

Latest posts

Back