Urinating in the litterbox, but defacating outside of it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently set up a new cage for my Flemish Giant with a large cat litterbox. He has been in this setup for2-3 weeks now. My problem is that while he is urinating in the litterbox (this is our first litterbox - in his previous cage, he just used his whole cage), but deposits his pellets on the cage floor. Not even one will go in the litterbox, and no urine in the cage floor.

Is there a way to get him to do both in the box? I have tried scooping the poo several times a day and putting it in the box, but that doesn't seem to make a difference to him.

Also, what is the best bedding for keeping odor down?

Thanks!

Is he neutered? If he is not then doing so will hep with his litter training, as rabbits use their feces to mark their territory. I also found I was having the same problem when my rabbit's food and water dishes where far away from his litter box. Putting them directly beside his litter pretty much fixed me of that problem. Urine is the harder of the two to clean up so at least he has that part down.

Do you have hay in the litter box? If not then put some in there. It will encourage him to poop in his litter box.

that's all that I have for now, but someone with more experience should be along shortly!

My Flemish was the same from five months old to 10 months old and then just suddenly developed stellar habits (in his pen, anyway).

He probably would have grown out of it anyway, but I put a cardboard box full of hay wired to the side of the pen above the litter box, and he just sits and munches and poops away to his heart's content.

All my other guys just get hay in their litter boxes, or a separate hay box they can also poop in, but he's so big the hay positioned above the box works better.

sas :bunnydance:

I have an neutered and unneautered rabbits they both do exactly Although the droppings are way easier to deal with than wee.

Your bunny will eventually use the his litter tray. it took Pepper to use it properly a 4/8 weeks after neutering. Plus like most of the members had said it's marking their territory. I won't worry about too much.

Since they like to eat and poop at the same time I would definitely put hay either in the box, or wire it over top as Sas suggested.

Moving the food bowls is what did it for me in the end.

Same problem here. But, now that I read this thread, it reminds me how eating hay and pooping happens. Duh!:foreheadsmack: Gotta feed hay another way, hubby got one of those racks a while back and I shrugged it off. Hmm, maybe line it w/ something so it doesn't fall out everywhere... What works?
We spoiled him with a tupperware container that he happily tips over and spills the hay everywhere, which, now, he's pooping everywhere too.

Latest posts

Back