Urinary infection again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byfuzzerabbit

Reaction score
Description-
Breed: She is a lop but I am not sure of the breed.
Color: Black
Weight: 2.9 lbs

Sex: Female

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:
My rabbit Coffee has already been to the vet once for a Urinary infection in the past 3 months. The first time was an emergency visit because she had maggots on her butt. The vet told us she was overweight I think she was 3.7 and had a urinary infection. The vet gave us Meloxicam and Baytril.
She recovered but I had to bring her back to the vet on Tuesday because she was wetting herself. She got a urine test again and we did blood work also this time to check for Renal Failure. She has a urinary infection again. Luckily she doesn’t have any problems with her kidney but she did have a high white blood cell count. The vet gave me Meloxicam .35 ml a day and Baytril .82 ml every 12 hours. She has urine scolding but I am going to get some desitin because the vet was going to charge me $30 for the bunny version. The vet told me using desitin was safe.

Anyways I am just wondering if here is anything I can do to make my rabbit more comfortable with the urine scolding because it looks painful. How should I clean her butt or should I just let it heal on its own? Also the vet told me the infection coming back isn’t normal so is there something else I should be looking for? And is it safe to give her cranberry juice to help out with the urine problems.

She is eating and drinking just fine. I am careful about the fruits and veggies because of her weight but her gets 1/2 a yogurt treat everyday so she doesn’t throw a fit.

The desitin will work but you do need to make sure that she is not eating it

here is how to do a butt bath

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12067&forum_id=17

If the vet could culture the urine it is possible that there is an antibiotic that is more effective against the particular strain of bacteria that she has

I Have found that baytril is sometimes a quick fix but often the infection returns with a vengenace.
it is safe to give cranberry juice in moderation but try to get unsweetened.
Make sure that all her bedding is kept clean and dry ; this can be quite a task when she is leaky

Ihad a bun with urine scald so iI do know how sore and painful that it looks;I often had to use gentle soap and water to really get his butt clean ( poopy butt too) but that may not be necessary in your case.

make sure that she is clean be fore you apply the desitin

Thanks I will be sure to have the vet do a culture on the urine when I bring her back to the vet in the month. I need to save up for another visit and the medicine seems to be working. I don't want to deal with a round three of this problem.

Was there any signs of blood in the urine? Is she spayed? Being a female bun and 4-5 ish old could be her uterus. I thought my bun had a urinary infection but it turned out to be uterine cancer. Not trying to scare you but just a heads up...

Coffee has been fixed and I didn't see any blood in the urine but I didn't want to take any chances because she was wetting herself. The vet said the test did pick up blood though.

Also I do keep her cage clean. It gets wiped down with daily and once a week I clean the floor with Lysol. I am no worried about her cage being dirty. Coffee is watching TV while I clean her room so she is no were near the Lysol.

Anyways Coffee is doing well and she is using her litter box again. So she is aloud to have the laundry room back (All laundry stuff are on shelves so she can't reach them). I had her in a cage with the wired bottom so she couldn't sit in her pee. I will bring her back to the vet to make sure that this infection doesn't come back once the medication is gone.

Latest posts

Back