Urgent Questions - Please Help! Rabbits Fighting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riposod

Reaction score
Start this thread off by saying, I'm an deeply upset. I've separating two bonded female rabbits and the thought of them being separated is so upsetting.

Here's the story:
I bought both rabbits from CountyMax at the beginning of March. Might of even been March 1st. They came together, had been in the same cage together at CountryMax since they came from the breeder. They are both lop ears and not spayed but not sure if they are from the same litter or not. I just liked to think they were sisters. Anyways, they have the Kaytee Deluxe Habitat. The grey and red, massive cage. They have both been in this cage since the day they came home. They've ate side by side, ate hay side by side and even ALWAYS slept side by side.

This morning I fed them as usual, they both met me at the door to their cage like they always do. Pet them and gave them their food. They ate side by side like always. Maybe 3 hours later, I'm in the bedroom and hear a lot of commotion from their cage. They sometimes run dart around their cage and play. I look and they are actually viciously fighting. Biting, chasing each other and throwing each other. This fight was so vicious, they knocked their hay ball wheel off it's holder. I separated them by hand until they left each other alone. They seemed fine after that, then not long after they got into it again, again a vicious fight. I couldnt tell who was the aggressor. So finally I separated one of them into a small dog kennel until my fiance went to get two new cages from the store.

Now they are both separate. However I need some major help!

1. I do not have the money to Spay both of them. A local place (Cornell University) specializes in exotics and says it's $400 per rabbit
2. I plan to let them out together, being a neutral place (roaming around my bedroom), would they viciously fight here?
3. Are they going to be ok? Both emotional and health wise since they are now living in separate cages? They will still be in the same room, in fact one will be stacked on the other.
4. Besides spaying, is there any way they can ever be put back into the same cage again? This really kills me inside seeing them separate when I'm not kidding, they always did everything together. They never ate separate and never slept separate.

I'm so sorry for the whole long message...here's a TLDR version:
Two female unspayed rabbits, lived in same cage for over 2 months. Started viciously fighting. Now separated. Need urgent help (read above numbers for questions)

I'm guessing you started off with two baby rabbits. If so, baby rabbits almost always get along until they start to get hormones, then everything can change. They have now matured and the hormones are coming in, and this is what can happen. Which is why it's usually recommended to separate rabbits by 10-12 weeks old, get them fixed when the right age, then attempt to properly bond them.

You will have to keep them separate now. DO NOT let them out together at all. Do not let them be together again because now that they have fought, that is what is going to happen again if you put them back together. And the next time could result in very serious injuries occurring, which could even be fatal. Rabbits fighting aggressively and viciously can have serious consequences and should not be allowed to occur again.

If you want to try and bond them properly, they both have to be spayed. But even spayed there is no guarantee they will get along and bond. If you decide you want to risk it and try, get them both spayed, after the spay wait at least a month post spay for the hormones to fade, then attempt to rebond them using proper bonding methods.

But honestly, after having had a vicious fight, I am doubtful bonding attempts will be successful. Vicious fighting usually occurs because you have two rabbits with a dominant personality, which is usually a bad combination for a pair and doesn't work out. It's still a slight possibility it could work out, but you need to be aware that there is also a very good chance it won't. If you think you want to try it, please read up on the bonding process. It can be quite complex and you need to know what you are doing to have any chance of it being successful, particularly in the case of a difficult bond.
http://saveabunny.org/rabbitcare/bonding-guide
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

For now they are likely going to be fine being separate. I would just keep a close eye to make sure they continue to eat, drink, and poop normally. If they don't then it could be a cause for concern.

I'm guessing you started off with two baby rabbits. If so, baby rabbits almost always get along until they start to get hormones, then everything can change. They have now matured and the hormones are coming in, and this is what can happen. Which is why it's usually recommended to separate rabbits by 10-12 weeks old, get them fixed when the right age, then attempt to properly bond them.

You will have to keep them separate now. DO NOT let them out together at all. Do not let them be together again because now that they have fought, that is what is going to happen again if you put them back together. And the next time could result in very serious injuries occurring, which could even be fatal. Rabbits fighting aggressively and viciously can have serious consequences and should not be allowed to occur again.

If you want to try and bond them properly, they both have to be spayed. But even spayed there is no guarantee they will get along and bond. If you decide you want to risk it and try, get them both spayed, after the spay wait at least a month post spay for the hormones to fade, then attempt to rebond them using proper bonding methods.

But honestly, after having had a vicious fight, I am doubtful bonding attempts will be successful. Vicious fighting usually occurs because you have two rabbits with a dominant personality, which is usually a bad combination for a pair and doesn't work out. It's still a slight possibility it could work out, but you need to be aware that there is also a very good chance it won't. If you think you want to try it, please read up on the bonding process. It can be quite complex and you need to know what you are doing to have any chance of it being successful, particularly in the case of a difficult bond.
http://saveabunny.org/rabbitcare/bonding-guide
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

For now they are likely going to be fine being separate. I would just keep a close eye to make sure they continue to eat, drink, and poop normally. If they don't then it could be a cause for concern.
Thanks for all the info.

I have another question now...how can I get one of the rabbits to stop marking their territory in my room? I let them both out, but separate them with a window screen (the way my room is set up, I can do that). Yesterday, one of them was pooping all over the place and they are both litter trained. The poop is simple though, since it's little balls I just vacuumed them up. But I mean all over the place, like 40 little drops. Now today, same rabbit just peed in like 3 different spots but no poop. The litter pan was out with her and she still did it.

Please, anything will help! I don't want to keep her caged up because of the chance of her peeing everywhere...that's cruel. I know it's highly recommended to spay them but I don't have the money. Closest place to do the operation is Cornell University (which isn't even technically close, like 2 hours away) and it's $400 per rabbit.

Here is a list of rabbit savvy vets in the Syracuse area:
http://www.therabbitresource.org/syracuse-area-vets.html

Because both males are still intact and are also in the same room, hormones will be flying! That can lead to territory marking, spraying urine, etc.
Until you can get them fixed, you probably need to put them in different rooms.

You can call the vets at the link and check out their neuter prices.

Start this thread off by saying, I'm an deeply upset. I've separating two bonded female rabbits and the thought of them being separated is so upsetting.

Here's the story:
I bought both rabbits from CountyMax at the beginning of March. Might of even been March 1st. They came together, had been in the same cage together at CountryMax since they came from the breeder. They are both lop ears and not spayed but not sure if they are from the same litter or not. I just liked to think they were sisters. Anyways, they have the Kaytee Deluxe Habitat. The grey and red, massive cage. They have both been in this cage since the day they came home. They've ate side by side, ate hay side by side and even ALWAYS slept side by side.

This morning I fed them as usual, they both met me at the door to their cage like they always do. Pet them and gave them their food. They ate side by side like always. Maybe 3 hours later, I'm in the bedroom and hear a lot of commotion from their cage. They sometimes run dart around their cage and play. I look and they are actually viciously fighting. Biting, chasing each other and throwing each other. This fight was so vicious, they knocked their hay ball wheel off it's holder. I separated them by hand until they left each other alone. They seemed fine after that, then not long after they got into it again, again a vicious fight. I couldnt tell who was the aggressor. So finally I separated one of them into a small dog kennel until my fiance went to get two new cages from the store.

Now they are both separate. However I need some major help!

1. I do not have the money to Spay both of them. A local place (Cornell University) specializes in exotics and says it's $400 per rabbit
2. I plan to let them out together, being a neutral place (roaming around my bedroom), would they viciously fight here?
3. Are they going to be ok? Both emotional and health wise since they are now living in separate cages? They will still be in the same room, in fact one will be stacked on the other.
4. Besides spaying, is there any way they can ever be put back into the same cage again? This really kills me inside seeing them separate when I'm not kidding, they always did everything together. They never ate separate and never slept separate.

I'm so sorry for the whole long message...here's a TLDR version:
Two female unspayed rabbits, lived in same cage for over 2 months. Started viciously fighting. Now separated. Need urgent help (read above numbers for questions)
You're upset because you didn't expect that you had two babies and babies looked like friends now as was already said above they are changing and it is normal it's not your fault nor their fault, it's just nature, they are 4 months old it's like teenagers and they both will try to dominate and they will mark their territory.

Please don't put them into same cage it is dangerous. And I don't think it is good idea to let them out together, there's already ongoing conflict between them and they are both unfixed they will keep fighting, if it gets really serious they will remember that even after they will be spayed. Best you can do now is completely separate them so they can't even see each other and get them spayed asap, then after 8 weeks maybe they will forget each other and you can try bonding them again, like fresh start, but as was said there's no guarantee that they will bond.

I saw your post a few hours ago just had no time to log in and reply, I was thinking what I would do in this situation. I actually have a bit similar situation, my two lop girls 5 and 10 months old also unfixed and not getting along well, so I also have to fix them and wait 2 months after that and try bonding them but as you mentioned it is very expensive, not 400 but 170 per head which is a lot for me. All this time from now to 2 months after fixing them you will have to keep them in separate cages and let them out one by one so they cannot see each other and when they will smell each other on your carpet they will pee or leave some smelly poops there to mark their territory.

I know it was nice I can imagine how they were eating and sleeping back to back but now it's all gone and you have to understand one thing, that they were just babies and they will never be babies again, and they will need to be bonded after they are both spayed, so count 2 months after spaying if you'll get that money at all.

And you will have to let them out for at least 2 hours a day so that means 2h + 2h for you, at least for two months after fixing, just ask yourself if you can deal with it.

So I would probably just try to find a nice new family for one of them so she can get her attention and her space and be happy. Because it won't be easy for you to give them attention they both deserve.

I’m having the same problem with my two eldest boys. Both 6momths, were the best of friends but now try to kill each other whenever we have tried rebonding. My youngest two boys are terrified of one of them so now we have a trio and one on his own. It really is heartbreaking and I know deep down we will have to find him another loving home at some point As it’s so difficult. Even the scent of him drives the youngest ones potty :(

Latest posts

Back