Urgent Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apscvt11

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need your advice about Tribble. For background he is a 2yo lionhead who is usually very chill and picky with his food.

Last night I got home from work and noticed he hadn't eaten all of his pellets which is really unusual. So I took him out to look over and didn't see anything wrong so I felt his tummy and it was slightly firm. He has issues with hair ingestion so I thought maybe he hadn't gotten enough water and syringed some to him. Setting him down on the bed I noticed he had peed in my lap which has never happened since he was a baby. So I cleaned up his bum with a baby wipe and put him in the cage.

This morning I woke up to see that he has only peed once, not in his (clean) litterbox but his bed and not touched any food. I took him to my bed to give more water and he peed on my pillow within a few seconds after.

He isn't completely lethargic, if something disturbs him or I move him he will hop around a little but he is definitely uncomfortable, but not in a hunched over pain way.

I took off work and called the only exotic vet in town and the tech said they did not have a Dr. in today and I would have to call when they open Monday to try and get a sick appt. The only other option is driving 2 hours north to another 24/hr exotic clinic.

I am thinking this may be some sort of urinary tract/bladder infection. My worry is that he gets stressed during trips and maybe waiting until Monday is better than the added stress of making it to the 24 hour place. Any advice? I do have metacam available and have though about giving him some. What would you guys advise? Thanks!

Update

I have been giving Tribble water in a syringe about every 2 hours and recently got some gas drops to give to him. Still no appetite other than a small bite of strawberry. He has peed again on my bed and then once in his litter pan and I THINK he has pooped but it was very very small and hard, and was stuck in his fur.

He does seem a little more active and is fighting back when it comes to using the syringe or catching him in his cage so I am hoping that is a good sign.

I am starting to wonder if he has a uti since he isn't peeing very frequently. Maybe it is just a bout of stasis. Either way I will try and take him in on Monday unless there are no poops/appetite by tomorrow.

Maybe try feeding a bit of pineapple (fresh without any added sugar) if it's stasis, that may help. I'd suggest getting him to a vet also. Good luck!

check and see if he has gas turn him over so you see his bely and gently flick it if it makes a clear hollow noise he has gas. Big Louis had this yesterday I gave him benebac in his food, mulitvitamins in his water and timothy hay. Today he is back to his normal self.
Hope this helps.

I'm sorry Tribble isn't feeling well :(.

I would plan on a vet visit for Monday, if things don't improve.
Sooner, if things get worse.

I usually call my vet to give them a heads-up, and to find out what their office hours are going to be for the next few days.

In the meantime, you can start some home treatment.

Hydration is the most important factor right now.
Normal daily water intake for buns is 25-70cc (or ml)per pound of body weight.
If they get veggies and/or fruit it might be less.

Does he use a water bottle or a bowl?
If he uses a bottle, offer him a bowl, too.
If he uses a bottle, make sure it's working and the fonts (little balls)aren't sticking in the tube.
If you add anything in his water, make sure he also has plain water available in case he doesn't like it.

You can mix in a number of things to supplement the water.
I suggest unsweetened cranberry juice, fresh pineapple juice (not canned), or chamomile tea (one of my preferences ;)).
You can also treat him with Pedialyte instead of plain water. Give itin the same dosage as water. My buns have preferred the berry flavored.

Does he get any veggies?
If so, wet them down and leave the excess water on them when you give them to him.
If he's used to veggies, you can try offering him some fresh parsley. Parsley can help stimulate the appetite, soothe an upset stomach.

Keep him moving around. Exercise will help get his gut moving.

Gentle tummy rubs will help, too.

You've gotthe gas drops. They won't harm in any way.
They'll help break down any gas bubbles if needed.
"Simethicone Liquid:For an acute gas attack, 1-2 cc of a liquid baby gas med (20mg per ml suspension formula) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours."

Canned pumpkin is agood source of fiber and liquid.
Get the plain kind....not the pie filling.
Try just offering it to him. Some buns love it (not mine though).
You can syringe it, if needed. I thin it out with tea, juice, water or pedialyte so it's easier to syringe.
I wouldn't give too much if it's new to him. Maybe a teaspoon. Follow the same rule as introducing something new to them.....give a little bit & see how it affects them.
If you can't find the canned pumpkin, you can try baby food.....squash is good.

If a bun starts to get dehydrated, they usually start to eat less, too.

If he doesn't eat any pellets by Sunday afternoon, you might want to try making a pellet slurry and syringing it.
Soak some pellets a small amount of liquid until they soften....keep adding liquid a little at a time until it's syringeable.
I sometimes add some baby food to help keep the slurry from separating....banana baby food goes over well with my buns.
I would start with small dosages....maybe a few cc's at a time....every few hours or so.

Again....
I would plan on a vet visit for Monday, if things don't improve.
Sooner, if things get worse.

Keep us updated!

:pray:

Apscvt11 wrote:
I do have metacam available and have though about giving him some. What would you guys advise? Thanks!
It's important the he's well hydrated if you give him metacam.

Thanks guys!

I have been trying to get about 5ml of water in him about every 2 hours. I have a bowl down since he usually drinks from a bottle but haven't seen him use it. I have gotten some more poops from him. They are still small hard and misshapen but I can see some progress in them (getting softer or more at a time). He hasn't peed on me again so I am wondering about maybe my massages/handling was causing him to release his urine?

I tried the pellet mash but the syringe I have wasn't big enough to use it. Maybe tomorrow I can find another one. There is no where to get pumpkin/pineapple/juice right now but it is on my list for the morning.

I did offer him a small piece of strawberry as he hasn't touched any of the fresh hay or veggies I have given him and he did eat it. I hope that is ok, I know fruit is high in sugar but it is something he gets on a regular basis so I was more concerned about him eating.

I did listen to his gut noises with my stethoscope and I could hear consistent gurgling which Im hoping means his GI system has started coming back to life. They aren't as loud as they usually are but I will take what I can get right now.

A vet visit will definitely happen if he gets worse or stays the same. I called all the places around me and no one had room this morning and all but one was booked on Monday. For that one I have to call at 7:30am to see if there are any sick appts left. The other option is the 2hr drive north for the emergency clinic which I want to make sure is a last option (cost wise and avoiding stressing him out on a longer trip).

Apscvt11 wrote:
I have been trying to get about 5ml of water in him about every 2 hours. I have a bowl down since he usually drinks from a bottle but haven't seen him use it.
Sounds like you're getting a good amount of water in him.
Might be why you're not seeing him drinking.....he may not be thirsty.

He hasn't peed on me again so I am wondering about maybe my massages/handling was causing him to release his urine?

Good point!

Has he peed at all since then?

I tried the pellet mash but the syringe I have wasn't big enough to use it. Maybe tomorrow I can find another one.
I got some of my syringes in the bird section of the pet store. They were 15 cc, came 2 in a pack, and had tips you could trim to the size needed. Works good with the pellet slurry.

The drug stores usually have oral med syringes in the baby section.
You can find them in the baby section of some of the grocery stores, too.

I did offer him a small piece of strawberry as he hasn't touched any of the fresh hay or veggies I have given him and he did eat it. I hope that is ok, I know fruit is high in sugar but it is something he gets on a regular basis so I was more concerned about him eating.
I agree.....It's better to have him eating something than nothing at all.

He's passing the treat test, too!
If my buns are still eating their treats, things are usually still under control.

A vet visit will definitely happen if he gets worse or stays the same.
Hopefully, you won't need a vet at all.

:pray:

There is poo in the litter pan! Just got back from my night shift at work to find most of the pellets that I soaked in fresh pineapple juice gone and a fair number of dark but normal shaped poos left for me in the pan.

Tribble seems to be acting a little more like his self and is moving/foraging. I also stopped giving him water by syringe and he has taken up drinking out of the bowl I put out. I got some hay into him earlier today by putting pieces in his face until he got mad enough to bite them. Not my nicest moment but I felt it needed to be done.

Now that I can tell he isn't blocked I am not as worried. Will keep up with the gas drops and I will be closely monitoring his eating and litterbox usage. Thank you for the help JimD!

Latest posts

Back