Urgent problem with Freddie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
SAM - fill this out when you see it.....

- Location - Orange County NY

- Description (Breed, color., weight)

- spayed/neutered?

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
- When did they last use their litterbox?
- Any unusual behavior?

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last?

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?

- any weight loss?

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?

- has the rabbit been outdoors?

Sam called me tonight about her bunny boy. Kinda tired so I am not going to recall everything so great but here goes for what I know.

They were away for the weekend and someone was looking after the buns. While Fred ate some and did finish it would seem he is going off his food. He refused carrot. He has been spending time hiding, more than normal is my understanding.

There is some sort of tearing of the eyes and something "brown" going on with the nose. She said she felt bubbles? Grumbles? when holding him, hands on his chest - when he breathed in and out....I was wondering about gas, but not so sure.

The cage, dishes and water bottle have been cleaned and will be watched to see what kind of out put comes.

He has some issues with pine cones some time last week and Sam stopped giving them, which cleared up the strange poo problems.

Sam is out right now buying pumpkin, gas drops and some pedilyte....

Hoping she will be here shortly and can provide further details.

We are both very copncerned for him.

Thanks in advance for everyones thoughts, advice and kind words.

(on a personal note...I hope everyone here at RO has been well!)

Sam,

You might also want to take a look at these links....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15737&forum_id=16

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Also See:
Medications
Infections
Abscesses
Pasteurella

Notes:

Excerpt 1: (Rabbit Health in the 21st Century - 2nd Edition by Kathy Smith):

All forms of oral penicillins, especially the semisynthetic penicillin derivatives such as Amoxicillin and Ampicillin, can be deadly to your rabbit.
Never accept a prescription for oral penicillin for your rabbit. . .
Injectible forms of Penicillin G (Pen-G), a natural penicillin, are relatively safe for rabbits and can be an excellent treatment for abscesses and other infections caused by bacteria that are sensitive to Pen-G.

Excerpt 2:
Penicillin, Bicillin and All That Stuff In Rabbits (Dr Linda Dykes, Owen Davies, and Judith Brown MRCVS in April 2003)

. . . Reports began to circulate on the internet, tales of rabbits brought back from the brink with penicillin treatment for serious bone infections and abscesses. One particular combination of long-acting penicillins (procaine and benzathine penicillin, usually referred to as "bicillin") started to acquire a reputation as a near-miracle treatment for such bunnies.

Important note: This section refers only to the use of parenteral (injectable) penicillins. .. Penicillins can cause serious or fatal diarrhoea in rabbits. But, given by injection, rather than by mouth, bicillin is remarkably well tolerated. Nevertheless, the risks/benefits have to be carefully weighed up by the prescribing vet.

Excerpt 3:
Etherbun Post About Appetite Loss From Antibiotics (Rami, Etherbun Yahoo Group)

. . . Often a decrease in appetite is observed 48-72 hours after starting the administration of an antibiotic. A lot of people stop the treatment, fearing digestive problem. This is a wrong attitude. Indeed, one should keep in mind that 48 to 72 hours is the time where the antibiotics reaches the aimed levels in the blood circulation filtered= killing the bacteria.

Bacteria that are dying can release toxins or other molecules in the blood. The later can make the rabbit feel uncomfortable, and lead to a decrease of appetite. When one continues to give the antibiotic accompanied with supportive measures, like fluids, hand-feeding, one will observe that , the rabbit will fell much better after 72 h. and will start eating by itself again.

The rest of the treatment is usually uneventful from this point, with the rabbit slowly recovering.

eye problems - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14567&forum_id=10

runny nose - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12016&forum_id=10

Is your bunny sick? http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12039&forum_id=10

I just wanted to say thank you, but while I was out Fred passed away... I'm going to call the vet tomorrow with the hope that they might still be able to tell me why he got so sick so fast and if my other rabbits are going to get sick too....

:bigtears:

I'm so sorry you lost Freddie.

My unfounded speculations based on the descriptions are an upper respiratory infection or a swollen throat leading to things not going down the throat properly. It would of course be best if the vet could help you try to determine what happened.

So very sad.....

I believe Sam was on her way earlier to bring him to Dr. Johnson in Middletown NY, they will be preforming a necropsy . She mentioned he will also be making a house call this Saturday (soonest she could get him to come out) To see all her new bunnies and to see her cats and dogs as well.

I am keeping my fingers crossed the other buns will be ok.

Yes, I took him to the vet at about noon. I really didn't want to hand him over... this one is going to be hard. he was my son's best friend. I have no idea how to tell him...

I was told I should know by 3 (I hope anyway), and that's in a half hour.... I'll be posting a new thread shortly to list his symptoms and then list my other buns just to be safe and to take Em's recommendation. i think that is the best I can hope for until I know more.

Latest posts

Back